U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 10:50 AM

553 posts, read 411,469 times

Advertisements

interesting they blame unemployment but not governor cuomo for having a curfew at 12 AM.

The restaurant owners are now blaming the victims of the pandemic, saying they are lazy because they dont want to work for $9 an hour PART TIME on long island.

Maybe they skipped class in economics or maybe they just dont seem to get it, being in the food industry post covid19, just isnt the same? pay their workers more? Or just close down their business and stop crying to newsday?

they keep making it seem like $15 an hour in a livable wage on long island , $15 is fine for the kids in high school, but for a family for 3 that needs to pay rent or mortgage?

https://www.newsday.com/business/cor...ent-1.50267455

Long Island restaurant owners say they can’t find the workers needed to meet customer demand, pointing to enhanced unemployment benefits as the main culprit. But workers and their advocates cite a different reason for the staffing crisis — low wages — and say the problem predates the jobless aid and the pandemic.

"A bunch of owners feel that the supplemental payout for unemployment is driving people to stay at home and collect their money, and unless workers were offered some major increase in their minimum wage or their past wages, they’re not going to leave their home to do hard labor," said Mark Irgang, president of the Long Island Hospitality Association.

"I’ve placed ads on Indeed, Facebook … Instagram, Craigslist, and we really got nothing," said Craig Attwood, owner of Five Ocean in Long Beach. "We had to take seats away ... because we don’t have enough front-of-house or back-of-house staff."

In restaurant speak, front-of-house staff include customer-facing positions, such as waiters, hosts, bussers and bartenders. Back of house refers to kitchen positions, including cooks and dishwashers.
Attwood said he can operate only five days a week, which hurts the bottom line. "We’d like to be open seven days, but we can’t because we don’t have enough staff."

$9.35 an hour

On Long Island, the minimum wage for most workers is $14 per hour and is set to increase to $15 at the end of the year. Minimum wage for tipped food service workers is $9.35 an hour, set to increase to $10 on Dec. 31. If tips don't average out to bring hourly wages to at least $14, owners are responsible for covering the remainder.

"When wages are very low and Amazon is offering wages of $15 and more, and you have Best Buy going to $15 an hour, but you have most of the restaurants paying the state minimum wage, that doesn’t work for people," Siby said.

The median annual wage for Long Island restaurant waiters and waitresses was $31,120 in 2020, according to state Labor Department data. For restaurant cooks – excluding executive and head chefs – the median was $31,000. Both work out to just under $15 an hour for a 40-hour week. Many restaurant employees work part time without benefits.
One Fair Wage argues that tipped workers should make the area's minimum of $14, plus tips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 11:03 AM

27,163 posts, read 40,106,694 times
Well aren't those types of jobs pay scaled to suit only HS kids and retirees? Why aren't they applying.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2021, 11:45 AM

11,184 posts, read 9,217,192 times
I have been out to eat on LI multiple times during pandemic and recently. There does not seem to be a lack of quality service or quality food. I have no idea what article is talking about.

The servers get a different MW, and make most off tips. As for the kitchen staff, it usually small for mom and pop, independent places unless you are very high end and going for that clientele. The owner is often the chef, and his helpers are illegals immigrants who always got paid way less than the MW, and wont be receiving benefits.

When it comes to chain/franchise establishments, the owners are just speculators. They have a ton of cash reserves or else there no way they can buy into the partnership.

The only thing that seemed to be missing is certain food items because the retailers cannot get their hands on it. Apparently the producers just could not supply.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 06-08-2021 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-08-2021, 11:50 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,653,234 times
They were working these jobs before Covid. What else changed besides incentivizing not working these jobs via higher unemployment payouts? I were in my 20s I'd sure as hell not go back to waiting tables at Denny's if they're paying me just as much or more to stay home. There's no career ladder to climb as a restaurant server, so there's no benefit to working that job other than your take home pay.

If you want to agitate for higher wages, that's fine, but don't blame Covid. I'm not sure where you think things are better, though. Although servers in many EU countries make the full minimum wage, tipping is far less common, and a much smaller amount - a true bonus for good service, but not expected. That sounds equitable, but it guarantees that lousy servers get the same wage as good ones (sound familiar?), and puts an upper limit on how much they can make. No one is tipping 20% on a fancy meal in Germany, but that opportunity exists here for professional servers in fine restaurants. You just gotta get out of Appleby's.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:51 AM

5,694 posts, read 11,514,888 times
^Interlude gets it. If you were making $32k or less you are better off staying home. And who cares about rent. People know they can’t be evicted. This has to change.

I hear it from small business owners and see it on about every other window out here. Help Wanted!!

Many of their current workers working a lot of extra hours to get by. Some businesses closing an extra day a week to give workers a day off.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:57 AM

Who in their right mind would go to work for less? I actually get it. If the unemployment benefits were less, people would go back to work. At the present time, its just not worth it to some. Maybe some of you need to put yourself in others people's shoes. I don't understand why we expect everybody to think just as we do.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:59 AM

2,434 posts, read 3,632,231 times
Everyone is using COVID to cash in. Higher wages, higher construction cost, higher meat prices, higher gas prices, higher vacation prices. The list goes on & on. And guess who pays for it?

Old 06-08-2021, 12:04 PM

People have a problem with the concept of paying, nothing ever goes down, everybody wants it for less, or for free

Feel free to build your own greenhouse and grow your own vegetables

Old 06-08-2021, 12:04 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,152,925 times
What's worse is that some people are collecting the "enhanced" unemployment benefits and also working "off the books." I know a few people working that scam at the expense of my tax dollars.

I don't see how this is sustainable.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:10 PM

4,771 posts, read 1,708,193 times
I heard an interview with a restaurant owner from a popular summer beach restaurant last week. He was complaining that he, his wife, and his kids had to work because they couldn’t find help. So he doesn’t want to work and he doesn’t want his kids to work but wants other people to take the job. I wonder if realized he sounded like he was too good to work.
As he was going on and on about how difficult it was, I wondered if he had received and PEP funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: