Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 02:28 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,056,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
I think when we talk about union abuses, we're talking about public unions that coincidentally provide huge swaths of votes to local politicians.

Speaking of job security, remember the teacher who ran his car up the sidewalk at the Coram Mickey Dees? He had a syringe still in his arm. He was a teacher in the Connetquot SD. He was relieved of his daily duties but not fired. Try doing that in the private sector.
That dude is making $121K this year.

Unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 04:08 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,242,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
That's a pretty low end estimate for a white collar professional with experience. I could not imagine making 75K with 2 master's degrees and 20 years experience being classified as average for the course here.
But that's also likely why so many of the high-end wage earners work in Manhattan.
The fact remains that whether teachers have great pensions, bennies etc., no one would want to end up making out at around 75K with that level of education and experience in our high cost area.
we have a few teachers in the family, and a few engineers.

The teachers have Masters degrees from local (some now defunct) colleges, where many of the advanced degrees were obtained by writing papers (many done online). Courses were in early education, child psychology, etc.

The engineers went to schools like Cornell, RPI, and Stevens Tech , had to take advanced courses in things like thermodynamics, physical chemistry, quantum physics.

With all due respect to the teachers out there, I would surmise the undergraduate engineering courses were a bit more challenging than masters courses in elementary education.

Most of the engineers (now in their sixites) are earning 130k-150k without the golden benefits (or higher salaries) of the LI based teachers.

Guess who complains they are underpaid? Hint: not the engineers.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:38 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,208,410 times
I know a couple of 50 year old retired couples raking in nearly $300,000 in pensions. Teachers married cops. It doesn't get bettter than that.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 3,973,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I know a couple of 50 year old retired couples raking in nearly $300,000 in pensions. Teachers married cops. It doesn't get bettter than that.
Teachers can’t collect a pension till age 55 at the very earliest. That age goes up with the Tier V and Tier VI folks.

A retired teacher getting a 100K pension is essentially unheard of (superintendents and other admins routinely hit the 100k+ number)

Old 09-22-2021, 07:47 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,784,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That dude is making $121K this year.

Unreal.
I remember that Eastport south manor teacher who got multiple DWI’s and finally got fired when he drunkenly assaulted a cop but even then it took months for him to finally get canned

Old 09-23-2021, 06:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Guess who complains they are underpaid? Hint: not the engineers.
LI has self-entitled people.

News at 11. And on CD forums, because everyone must know and point fingers at the thieves among us. No, I'm serious.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:05 AM

34,142 posts, read 47,382,855 times
There was a time about 40 years ago (at least for NYC) when public service jobs were seen as the bottom of the barrel and looked down upon because of the low pay, I'm guessing this led to corruption to a certain level.

These pensions are a relatively new thing when it comes to municipal labor, it's a big shift in the dynamic from when I was a kid, people climbing over each other for city jobs

Only worse on LI because there's hardly any commercial/manufacturing base to offset the cost of paying out the pensions

Moral of the story is, if you don't like it then move

Tis' all

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-23-2021, 08:18 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,539,470 times
With the cost of living on Long Island, soon 150k won’t be enough.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:37 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
With the cost of living on Long Island, soon 150k won’t be enough.
School taxes, overwhelmingly driven by teacher compensation, adds $1k-$2k to a monthly mortgage.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:45 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There was a time about 40 years ago (at least for NYC) when public service jobs were seen as the bottom of the barrel and looked down upon because of the low pay, I'm guessing this led to corruption to a certain level.

These pensions are a relatively new thing when it comes to municipal labor, it's a big shift in the dynamic from when I was a kid, people climbing over each other for city jobs

Only worse on LI because there's hardly any commercial/manufacturing base to offset the cost of paying out the pensions

Moral of the story is, if you don't like it then move

Tis' all
You realize that its all the same, LI, westchester, NYC, Ulster, doesn't matter what county or SD. All get the same pension. My wife's a NYC teacher, if her pension fund is short $$, guess who pays the difference the NYC tax payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island