Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 05:13 PM

67 posts, read 639,440 times

Advertisements

I am a senior in High School, I moved from Long Island to PA in May 06, but I want to go back to Long Island. I really didn't get to look into many schools, but I know I feel I was just want to see what experiences others have with the colleges. I am looking to major in Business Education or maybe Information Systems or something similar to Information Systems. I might stay in Pa for College though for in-state tuition. Would moving back to long island after college be a smart move? I know how the housing prices are dropping and rent is high. Taxes are high. But I loved the area, I was in Mastic. (I know many people downed it, but I liked it, I also like bellport/east patchogue(brother lives there now)).

Thanks
J.Michael
An ex-long islander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
I am a senior in High School, I moved from Long Island to PA in May 06, but I want to go back to Long Island. I really didn't get to look into many schools, but I know I feel I was just want to see what experiences others have with the colleges. I am looking to major in Business Education or maybe Information Systems or something similar to Information Systems. I might stay in Pa for College though for in-state tuition. Would moving back to long island after college be a smart move? I know how the housing prices are dropping and rent is high. Taxes are high. But I loved the area, I was in Mastic. (I know many people downed it, but I liked it, I also like bellport/east patchogue(brother lives there now)).

Thanks
J.Michael
An ex-long islander
If you want to move back and GO to college on LI, I suggest you either find a college where you can live in a dormitory or stay with a family member (like your brother) who still lives here because the price of rent is really high. It's high for someone who works a lower paying job full time, let alone a student.

As for coming back after attending college in PA, why not? When the time comes, you will figure out what to do. Information Systems is a good major and should secure you some employment on LI or NYC when the time comes.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you want to move back and GO to college on LI, I suggest you either find a college where you can live in a dormitory or stay with a family member (like your brother) who still lives here because the price of rent is really high. It's high for someone who works a lower paying job full time, let alone a student.

As for coming back after attending college in PA, why not? When the time comes, you will figure out what to do. Information Systems is a good major and should secure you some employment on LI or NYC when the time comes.
I am planning on being in a dormitory either way, and my brother went to cw.post (graduated in Jan (had the actually graduation sunday in brookeville). But he is leaving for a year to go to iraq, although he said i can use his apartment when he is gone.

That is true, LI/NYC does have good employment for the "tech" fields and teacher salaries are pretty good too. I know I will be here in PA for at least 1 semester for college since I am pretty much set to go to the college (IUP) in the fall.

Thanks for the advice/information it helps.

J. Michael

Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post

Thanks
J.Michael
An ex-long islander
You are definitely going against the trend there. A lot of young people are leaving LI. But hey every individual case is different...

Old 05-15-2008, 06:00 PM

Well I guess, but I liked it there, PA imo sucks lol.
I am thinking about moving to NC, VA, or Long Island after college. I may stay in pa if i go down by philly or Pittsburgh, I am in a rural part of PA, in the northeastern part in wayne county.

But I guess only time will really tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island