U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM

7 posts, read 35,452 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I found a house that I am in love with in Glen Cove on Highland rd but I am not sure of the surrounding area. It goes from really beautiful to somewhat seedy! I have grown children in college so the school system is not important to me, although I know it is important for resale later on. Very confused!!!! Can someone who lives in Glen Cove tell me about the town and the surrounding streets near Highland rd.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,783,496 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Glen Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadajpaaa View Post
[SIZE=3][font=Times New Roman]I found a house that I am in love with in Glen Cove on Highland rd ...

For those who may not be familiar with Glen Cove:

Glen Cove is a city (chartered in 1918) in the north central part of Nassau County.

Glen Cove became a city in 1918 and became independent of the Town of Oyster Bay. Prior to that date, Glen Cove was a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the Town of Oyster Bay, initially in Queens County until January 1, 1899, and since then in Nassau County. Before it was called Glen Cove, the hamlet was called Musketa Cove.

The City of Glen Cove has a different border than does the "Glen Cove, NY 11542" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Glen Cove, NY 11542" mailing address and not be in the City of Glen Cove): places that have a "Glen Cove, NY 11542" mailing address that are not in the City of Glen Cove are in the Village of Lattingtown and the Village of Matinecock in the Town of Oyster Bay.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 35,452 times
Thank you for the info ...... but that still did not answer my question! Do you live in Glen cove?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,783,496 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info
You're welcome.

Quote:
Do you live in Glen cove?
No.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:48 AM

964 posts, read 2,315,413 times
I have a ton of family in Glen Cove. It was once a very beautiful town that now has been ruined. It's infested with illegal immigrants everywhere, and the school system has taken a shocking turn for the worst. I don't see it getting much better.

The only saving grace is if your potential house is in a super nice area of Glen Cove..then a wealthy family in the future may purchase it and then just send their kids to private school.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,392,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I have a ton of family in Glen Cove. It was once a very beautiful town that now has been ruined. It's infested with illegal immigrants everywhere, and the school system has taken a shocking turn for the worst. I don't see it getting much better.

The only saving grace is if your potential house is in a super nice area of Glen Cove..then a wealthy family in the future may purchase it and then just send their kids to private school.
I can see what you mean. BUT, the new apartments and condos and (hopefully) waterfront development may turn the tide. I would love to see all of Glen Cove prosper. There are still some very nice parts, though.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:08 PM

472 posts, read 1,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I can see what you mean. BUT, the new apartments and condos and (hopefully) waterfront development may turn the tide. I would love to see all of Glen Cove prosper. There are still some very nice parts, though.
indeed, especially if the rumor about the high speed ferry to downtown is true

Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,392,141 times
Typical LI NIMBYism, but this HAS to be approved...

Glen Isle - The Glen Cove Waterfront Revitalization Project

Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM

964 posts, read 2,315,413 times
The project looks nice. The problem is that Glen Cove will be divided in two. One half will be very nice while the other rots with illegal immigrants. There are even reports that MS-13, the El Salvadorian gang, has placed some roots in Glen Cove (moving from Hempstead and Freeport). I know..because 2 of my cousins are part of Glen Cove Police.

It's really sad what happened to that lovely town.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM

3,180 posts, read 9,797,297 times
It seems like that it takes a long time to get to Glen Cove from any major parkway. not one of my favorite towns.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island