Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

A map of the Rockville Centre Union Free School District:

A map of the Village of Rockville Centre in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Rockville-centre-ny-map.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am getting confused. Why use a Rockville Centre mailing address when there are zip codes/mailing addresses for them already?

South Hempstead = 11550 (shares with Hempstead Village who also has two other zip codes)
Lynbrook = 11563/11564
Baldwin = 11510
On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Quote:
Is there any part of Rockville Centre that is UNincorporated (not a Village)?
These places that have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address that are not in the Village of Rockville Centre are all in other villages and hamlets: the Village of Lynbrook, the Hamlet of Lakeview, the Hamlet of South Hempstead and the Hamlet of Baldwin.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM

A map of the "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" ZIP Code postal zone:
Attached Thumbnails
A few questions about Long Beach, NY?-rockvillecentre-ny11570.gif  

Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM

17 posts, read 40,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
the poster was likely referring to the homes in South Hempstead that are zoned for RVC schools.

maps of the village of RVC appear to show a very small area west of peninsula that looks like its in lakeview. perhaps those areas have a lakeview mailing address but are still in the village of RVC.
YES EXACTLY SIB, my fault, it is in fact South Hempstead, (with RVC schools) just south of the overpass on Long Beach Road. Not only is it cheaper homes but you're butting up against Hempstead AND Baldwin North, which doesnt look so great these days either, in fact I'd steer clear of Baldwin altogether, Baldwin south is nice but the schools are shared with the North.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
South Hempstead has its own identity on MLS, uses its own name as the mailing address, and all the houses there do not go to RVC schools. I have never heard of anyone mistaking it for RVC.

The poster referred to his friends "really regretting their move to N. RVC." There is nothing so regrettable about S.H. to my knowledge. It's a cute little "hamlet" on the border of RVC right near Molloy College.
The reason why I said that is because I have noticed some trash in the area and that it would not be a wise choice to invest your hard earned money into an area like that, these are also smaller (cute as you put it) homes with sometimes one or two bedrooms, that are prime pickins for people in Hempstead and North Balwdin who are looking for a good way to get a foot hold in a nicer area. I'm prepared for the backlash, but I speak the truth.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Hey, what's wrong with "blue collar south shore folk"??? hmmm?
Nothing absolutely MAJOR, I grew up in LB, but if I had to choose to raise my kids in an area of mostly blue collar workers, as opposed to doctors and lawyers, id prefer the latter. Nothing is written in stone of course, but I'd imagine the kids from those families are somewhat more driven (maybe by their parents) to do better. therefore I would want my children to be around other kids like that. It's only normal for a parent to want to raise theior kids in a nicer area. For example, in the late 60's my grandparents moved from Queens to LB for the same reasons, just as they moved on, so do I.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel78 View Post
Nothing absolutely MAJOR, I grew up in LB, but if I had to choose to raise my kids in an area of mostly blue collar workers, as opposed to doctors and lawyers, id prefer the latter. Nothing is written in stone of course, but I'd imagine the kids from those families are somewhat more driven (maybe by their parents) to do better. therefore I would want my children to be around other kids like that. It's only normal for a parent to want to raise theior kids in a nicer area. For example, in the late 60's my grandparents moved from Queens to LB for the same reasons, just as they moved on, so do I.
LB is great for single 20-30 somethings. I'd never raise a family there.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
The reason why I said that is because I have noticed some trash in the area and that it would not be a wise choice to invest your hard earned money into an area like that, these are also smaller (cute as you put it) homes with sometimes one or two bedrooms, that are prime pickins for people in Hempstead and North Balwdin who are looking for a good way to get a foot hold in a nicer area. I'm prepared for the backlash, but I speak the truth.
What "trash" have you noticed in the area?

NYC cops and firemen?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
YES EXACTLY SIB, my fault, it is in fact South Hempstead, (with RVC schools) just south of the overpass on Long Beach Road. Not only is it cheaper homes but you're butting up against Hempstead AND Baldwin North, which doesnt look so great these days either, in fact I'd steer clear of Baldwin altogether, Baldwin south is nice but the schools are shared with the North.
It is divided from Hempstead by the Southern State Parkway, not cheek by jowl with it.

It abuts RVC and North Baldwin.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What "trash" have you noticed in the area?

NYC cops and firemen?
Well in Long Beach for example, you have a whole bunch of drunk shanties living in the west end by the bars. Nice to chill out there but not to live. Same as west Hempstead. I can't stand white trash. Again not all the area is that way. Long beach has a care free, whereever the wind takes me kind of mentality. I say F that, I want my kids to chill with kids that have goals other than scoring more weed. I know this bc I lived it, and want better for my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island