Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

The house I'm buying has a big deck in the backyard that is not currently legal. My attorney is asking me if I wish to request the seller have the deck legalized. However, once this is done, the taxes will likely go up (how much I'm not sure at all. If anybody has a general idea how much a deck would effect taxes please let me know). I'm paying all cash so it's not like I need a bank to appraise the house or anything.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons. Is it worth the risk of not having it legalized to keep the taxes as low as possible?
Also, does anybody know if there is a cost to getting a CO/permit for a deck in the town of oyster bay? (Massapequa)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 10:02 AM

20,037 posts, read 20,839,727 times
Well if you’re paying cash and you plan to stick around a while you could just accept it as-is.
It most likely won’t be an issue until you sell. Or if you have a scummy neighbor that rats you out. Asking to legalize it could at best blow the deal, or worst case, open a can of worms, which could also kill the deal. I’d say judgement call depending on how much you love the house.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:21 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
My buyer had same crap, they where cash. I told them I'm not legalizing deck and gave them 1k credit it was a take it or leave it as I had a 10k higher offer that wasn't cash with no mortgage contingency. They took the 1k and we closed as is.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:33 PM

690 posts, read 584,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
My buyer had same crap, they where cash. I told them I'm not legalizing deck and gave them 1k credit it was a take it or leave it as I had a 10k higher offer that wasn't cash with no mortgage contingency. They took the 1k and we closed as is.
This! Our buyers had an open plumbing permit surface, that our genius attorney/title company missed in 2013. It was a permit from 2009, when original owners replaced boiler, they never closed it out. We offered 1k for buyers to close it out when they convert to gas. Non issue. Case closed (for us atleast).

Old 09-09-2021, 12:44 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,783,639 times
If you're paying cash I wouldn't bother. Could open a whole can of worms for the seller or more likely they move on to someone who doesn't care. Buyer's market - you hold the cards and could ask.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:59 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,446 times
Are you planning on doing any work that requires permits? because you'll have to get it legalized then.
Are you planning on selling at some point soonish? you may have to get it legalized then.

Will it hurt you if you're doing neither of those things? probably not.

Was the deck constructed correctly? There are a whole lot of janky homeowner constructed decks out there.

You can do the expedient thing and say, no problem. Its probably what you should do given current market conditions... Just realize you're now on the hook if you need to get it in the future.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:41 PM

184 posts, read 227,825 times
I don’t think a deck exists on Long Island that has a c/o

Old 09-09-2021, 01:56 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
How high off the ground is the deck and is it attached to the house?

Old 09-09-2021, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
How high off the ground is the deck and is it attached to the house?
Yes it's attached and it's definitely high enough to require a permit.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 757,844 times
Just have to worry about a lawsuit if someone is injured. Speak to your real estate attorney. I see split ranches with a back deck and a hot tub on it (20 feet off the ground) . If that’s the case you better hope it’s up to code especially if someone is on it at the time if it gave out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island