Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 09:46 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times

Advertisements

Anyone have pros/cons with TANKLESS hot water heaters? I presently have a (oil) hot water heater tank. It’s about 18 years old. Time to replace before there’s a disaster, lol.

It’s only for my wife & I. Ranch home, 2 bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 11:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Anyone have pros/cons with TANKLESS hot water heaters? I presently have a (oil) hot water heater tank. It’s about 18 years old. Time to replace before there’s a disaster, lol.

I have a Navien but it's gas.

Pro's

It's very quiet, can barely hear it when in basement.
Takes up little space, mine hangs on the wall
no risk of the bottom falling and out of a tank and flooding as it only runs when hw is called. (buffer tank may have 1/2 gallon in it)
Never had a tank in this home, def delivers hw faster than tank in all other homes I Lived in.
Long life span
Highly efficient

Cons
If I'm using HW and the washing machine calls for HW water, pressure drops for a second then goes back.
Cost

Old 11-20-2021, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,779 times
Default <a href="https://iesmarthome.com/best-electric-tankless-water-heater/">Best electric tankless water heater</a>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post

In my point of view and research tankless water heater are best selection regarding water heater.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:25 PM

615 posts, read 448,342 times
Since it's already set up for oil, you should consider replacing it with a Bock 32e.
Efficient, long life, reliable, although initially more expensive. Endless hot water, too.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:13 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
We live in Houston, but have experience with Rinnai gas tankless water heaters. We replaced the old 40 gallon water heater that was in a closet in the kitchen with a tankless, and gained space and unlimited hot water. When we renovated the kitchen, we installed an exterior model Rinnai on the back of the house, and gave the old one to my brother in law. We love the tankless. It's cheap to run, we don't have to worry about the tank leaking, since there isn't one, and it will supply hot water to a bathroom and the kitchen at the same time. The small space required is a bonus - I am not sure where we would have put a full size tank model after the kitchen reno.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:38 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Cost is a factor for me, our 40gal gas hw heater works fine and our gas bill is low. When I look at the cost of going tankless and the 25 yrs (est) to break even its not worth the investment.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:01 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Cost is a factor for me, our 40gal gas hw heater works fine and our gas bill is low. When I look at the cost of going tankless and the 25 yrs (est) to break even its not worth the investment.
For us, the economics were irrelevant. We didn't have a place for a 40 gallon water heater, and building an outside closet for one wouldn't have been workable.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:35 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
If cost were no factor I'd definitely go with the tankless natural gas unit but we got a 50 gallon hot water heater a few years ago for about $750 and it's working fine for us. We have the space and the upfront cost was the deciding factor for us.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:34 PM

185 posts, read 109,961 times
The only con I can think of is that tankless hot water won’t work without electricity, even if it’s natural gas or propane. I had a water heater with tank during Sandy. No power for 10 days (except what our small generator put out) but plenty of hot water. If you have a whole house generator this isn’t even a concern.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:08 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
For years people like Consumer Reports always point out that going with tankless won't result in great savings due to long payback time. That advice is directed to those considering yanking a tank and installing tankless. However there are other considerations as posts in this thread make clear.

Boiler for steam heat gives us hot water, so it's pretty much same thing. Having lived in Europe where tankless beats tanked by miles can attest to certain benefits.

Obviously on a much larger scale, but this union video on DHW covers many of same bases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mKkOwAc1ag

Unless you really, really insulate tank hot water, heat losses are going to cost money resulting in less efficiency.

Back in day when most homes had boilers providing hot water or steam for heating, a side arm or coil in boiler for DHW was pretty much standard. Boiler manufactures advertised and promoted this as "free" hot water.

This is true but there are costs in keeping a boiler firing at high enough temps during warmer times of year to produce hot water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: