Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM

76 posts, read 185,943 times

Advertisements

Pack of 200 Diapers at BJ's 37$
Pack of 200 Diapers at Supermarket 45$

If you have kids, the savings right there pays for itself.

As for groceryshopping, anyone ever try the grocery game? You pay I think 1$ a week, and they Scan the list of whats on sale, whats going to be on sale @ your local store, Plus what's on sale via those circular coupons and tell you when to buy a certain item and from what Ive read you could actually save tons.. just google "the grocery game"

They have stories about some people who goto the supermarket, buy 200$ worth of stuff.. then after coupons, its like 50$...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored View Post
Pack of 200 Diapers at BJ's 37$
Pack of 200 Diapers at Supermarket 45$

If you have kids, the savings right there pays for itself.

As for groceryshopping, anyone ever try the grocery game? You pay I think 1$ a week, and they Scan the list of whats on sale, whats going to be on sale @ your local store, Plus what's on sale via those circular coupons and tell you when to buy a certain item and from what Ive read you could actually save tons.. just google "the grocery game"

They have stories about some people who goto the supermarket, buy 200$ worth of stuff.. then after coupons, its like 50$...
I tried the grocery game a while ago and found it was easier to just look at the circulars of local groceries. I never found any way of getting significant savings out of that website.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
I'm with rocafeller05 - all the circulars are delivered to my door and I plan meals based on what meat/fish/veggies are on sale. I also go to John's Farms in Plainview for a lot of my fruits and veggies(their circular is online so you can plan) - I have a 5-year-old who can eat his weight in fruit every day :-)

You do have to take gas prices into account when you do all this - it doesn't make sense to drive way out of your way, but if you can consolidate trips I think it's worth it.

I droppped my BJ's membership once my son was out of diapers - it wasn't paying for itself any more. I was also too tempted by too many things not on my shopping list.

Trader Joe's is great for things like soy milk, tofu, and hummus that are much more expensive at other grocery stores.

Even with all this I am shocked by how much more I am spending than I used to. It is depressing.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 43,911 times
I do most of my shopping at Stop n Shop and take advantage of the coupons that are printed at the register. I buy a lot of organic baby food and usually get $1-2 coupons each trip. I buy store brand bagged salad, have stopped buying soda, and try to choose produce that's on sale when possible. Store brand paper and plastic products too. If I only need produce and meat or milk, I'll go to Best Yet, I always spend considerably less when I shop there. Probably because they don't have a huge selection of haircare/skincare stuff that I usually waste money on at S&S.

It helps if you can plan out your meals for the week and shop accordingly for the ingredients, so you don't have to make endless trips to the store during the week. Because you always leave the store with more than was on your list. I can't tell you how many times I spend $70 and only have ingredients for one meal!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Where can you get good coupons? I hear a lot of supermarkets double them, but I never find any good ones in the Sunday paper... is there another source?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM

76 posts, read 185,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Where can you get good coupons? I hear a lot of supermarkets double them, but I never find any good ones in the Sunday paper... is there another source?
I believe you combine the sunday paper one, with the Grocery store one..
Or something like that I'm not totally sure..

Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 PM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I find most of my coupons in the weekly store fliers.

Another source -Next time you're in the supermarket(s) take a look for the coupon dispensers that are affixed on the shelves near the products they're for. Quite often they're manufacturers coupons. Even if you don't need that particular product at the moment, just tuck it away for future use. Also, check at the Courtesy Desk and ask about Maunufacturer Double-Coupon Day(s). There's usually a max value, but hey, you can turn $1 savings into $2, which can add up.

Magazines are another source, though personally i've cancelled all subscriptions years ago. Maybe a friend or family member can toss some your way. Manufacturer's websites sometimes have printable coupons. But, internet printable coupons aren't accepted everywhere, ask at the store about their policies. I also get some store specific adverts in the mail which ocassionally have some great coupons in them. For instance, pet stores i've signed up in for their keychain membership cards often send an advert with a bunch of coupons, $5 and better!

Gak, i've forgotten one of the most obvious sources...the label/package of the product itself, or an insert in the packaging.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
People think i'm starving myself by only spending $25-30 a week grocery shopping for myself (I live alone). I buy everything on sale for the week coming up.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,040 times
I think pathmark always offers double coupons. Occasionally they and waldbaums do triple coupons but I think they only do that up to 99 cents which means a dollar off coupon doesnt apply to the triple/double special.

An earlier post questioned whether it was economically viable to comparison shop and go to 2-3 different stores with gas the price that it is. This is a definite concern if stores are not close. My fiancee says the same thing. She says any savings would be wasted in gas so she would rather buy it there but I can go to a store and leave with a savings close to or greater than my purchase on a regular basis. I guess I will be doing the food shopping when we are married. I have 3-4 supermarkets and some smaller local supermarkets (Associated, MET, etc) within 2-3 miles of me so I can check all the fliers when they come in the mail and then in a quick bunch of errands hit the stores with the stuff I need. I grab coupons from all the dispensers on the shelves if its an item I use. It will eventually go on sale and then I have the coupon. Sunday coupons and other mailers that come to the house provide more coupons. Check online too. Some stores have a coupon section on their website. Even if you do not get a flier for the sales for a store near you, it is online so maybe you can kill two birds with one stone.

Down here in Florida, there is not the selection of supermarket chains that I have when I am up on LI but I do have three within 3-4 miles of me. But on a recent trip to the store to get steaks and a few other products on sale, I spent $40 something and saved like $58. My mother went for the same sale and she spent $70, and saved $112. I was amazed. That is the most I have ever heard anyone save and it was her personal best--and she saves a lot every time she goes. You gotta catch the sales right and be smart with your shopping. If it adds up quick, with a little planning, it can also decrease for you just as quick. Its a great feeling. It makes me wonder if there are people out there that unfortunately would have paid what I paid plus what I saved. Just my .02.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 PM

244 posts, read 669,097 times
Tonight Channel 7 had a report about this coupon mom who went grocery shopping and got $71 worth of groceries for $5. Did anyone else see that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: