Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 07:56 AM

20,210 posts, read 20,983,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
It's already out, its called Ivermectin.
I thought they have a Tamiflu for covid ready to go? Or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 08:47 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,182,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I thought they have a Tamiflu for covid ready to go? Or something like that.

Here is the article if you want to learn more about it. Its similar to what Theraflu is for the flu.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/podcasts/trackthevax/94992

Old 10-14-2021, 09:28 AM

65 posts, read 39,362 times
I have no intention of getting drawn into the vax/no-vax mire, but I do have a question:

How is it that some people who object to the MRNA vaccines on the grounds that they are "experimental/not studied long enough", seem to nevertheless be okay with taking the recently announced Merck antiviral treatment - which is even described by Merck as being an experimental drug? There are more similarities than differences in the history of both meds. For example:

Both use RNA as their 'operating system', if you will.

The early research history of both meds dates back to the late 1950s/early 1960s.

The first MRNA-based vaccines were tested during the early and mid 1990s. Although the first antivirals came out during the 1960s and 1970s (against HIV), those were not the same kind of antiviral as those that emerged during the 1990s, like Tamiflu, which are combinatorial treatments developed to address various issues and problems posed by the earlier ones. So it's more accurate to say that the type of antiviral proposed by Merck has only been around since the 1990s also. Tamiflu wasn't approved until 1997.

A virus can develop resistance to an antiviral via mutation, just as it can become resistant to a vaccine. Neither is a magic bullet.

I really am curious about why someone would easily accept a treatment that its own manufacturer describes as experimental, but reject a vaccine that is based on similar technology and has a comparable R&D chronology. Not being critical, just curious.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:35 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,182,730 times
^ You are assuming that whoever gets Covid will just take it? I would bet there will be people who won’t take this either.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:35 AM

20,986 posts, read 28,518,514 times
Wait for the Zombie Apocalypse to come for those who got vaxxed and had bad side effects.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:44 AM

65 posts, read 39,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ You are assuming that whoever gets Covid will just take it? I would bet there will be people who won’t take this either.

Oh, definitely not assuming anything of the kind. I agree, there will be people who won't take either. But from reading some responses in this forum, some who are vax-hesitant seem to think that a newly introduced therapeutic is somehow "safer" than a newly introduced vaccine. That's where I was questioning the logical disconnect.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:18 AM

4,700 posts, read 8,777,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
It's already out, its called Ivermectin.
these threads are mostly a cesspool of ignorance - but the one good thing is that they're quite useful in signaling which posters are completely unhingned and/or misinformed menaces to public health.

Thank you all for identifying yourselves!

Old 10-14-2021, 10:22 AM

5,079 posts, read 3,980,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueworld View Post
Oh, definitely not assuming anything of the kind. I agree, there will be people who won't take either. But from reading some responses in this forum, some who are vax-hesitant seem to think that a newly introduced therapeutic is somehow "safer" than a newly introduced vaccine. That's where I was questioning the logical disconnect.
I think some of the folks who take Tamiflu have received flu shots and some have not but there may not be rhyme or reason to it (ditto Covid vaccine and a Covid therapeutic).

Many of the folks I know who aren’t bothering with the Covid vaccine either had Covid before or are younger/healthy and figure they’ll be fine if they catch it. Both groups have a point. I’m sure they’d pop an aspirin or decongestant or therapeutic if they got bothersome symptoms.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:47 AM

3,292 posts, read 2,376,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post

Yup 100%. My husband works with 14 other people and every single one of them were opposed to taking the vaccine. For weeks they all said "Hell no, I am not taking that poison". Well every single one of them except for my husband and another guy were the only ones who refused to give in and everyone else bent a knee.

One guy came in to work 10 days after getting the vaccine b$#^&@#g about the side effects and looking pale as a ghost and looked like he was knocking on heaven's door. He was so sick from it he could barely stand and all his joints were on fire and tingling and he was in excruciating pain. My husband told him not to whine about it to him and to keep his mouth shut because he gave in and took it against his own wishes. This same guy was acting like a Mr. Tough guy prior to this and spouting off at the mouth bragging that nobody was going to force him to take the vaxx. My husband filed for a religious exemption, but I highly doubt he will get approved.

However, I gave my husband my blessing if he loses his job. He is a cancer survivor and worked really hard to get his immune system back to normal by adopting a healthy lifestyle, taking supplements and eating healthy. His immune system according to his doctor is super now. He is not messing around by taking something like this vaxx that could destroy or alter his immune system. I'd rather us go homeless and lose our house than have him take this risk of taking a vaxx that has no long term studies. Who knows what kinds of long term effects this vaccine will have?

My best friend, a NYC school teacher swore up and down she was going to fight tooth and nail and was not going to take it. Well guess who bent a knee? After taking the J&J she ended up getting paralyzed on the right side of her body and they cannot figure out why a healthy person such as she, suddenly got paralyzed right after taking it. One idiot Dr. said it was probably caused by stress and has not bothered nor is willing to report it to Vaers. WTF?! She has been hospitalized for two weeks and the so-called experts cannot figure out how this happened.

4 of my other relatives who were nurses with great careers, sold their houses, quit the hospitals they were working at, packed up all their worldly possessions and moved down to Florida where they ended up getting good jobs in a hospital over there. Governor DeSantis is not mandating the vaxx, so good for them.

While I understand a lot of people cannot just give up their jobs because they could lose their house, this is absolutely disgusting that they are forcing people to do this to keep a job. If people that work at these places got the vaxx, why worry about being around the unvaxxed? They are protected right? Don't they trust the science? /Sarcasm. I feel everyone should be free to decide whether or not they want to take it. Trust me, I am not an anti-vaxxer and we all have taken vaxxes before, including my children. The difference is those vaccines we all took were studied for 10-20 years first before being rolled out. I used to trust the government and the medical community. I no longer do anymore as all this is about the money and profits in my opinion and a lot of crooked politicians are getting their pockets greased by Big Pharma.
Wow. You sound like you have your stuff together. As I read further down your post, I had to scroll up to make sure I didn’t post this. Best of luck to your husband. Maybe he will get the religious exemption. You sound like my wife who was all for me losing my job over not getting the vaccine. I was about to bug was thinking about who would hire me at all if I was refusing it. If the new job required it eventually, they know I will leave them top. I also believe in interviewing while you are still employed. It make you a stronger candidate.

I am so pissed that I took it yesterday. I went against everything I stand for. I am the on
Y one that held out this long. They all caved. If none of them did, it may be a different story. But if only a handful hols out, it barely makes a dent.

Unlike you, my wife will never leave NY. She loves this house, the town, the state and I don’t know why. It’s a disgusting mess. So, I have to deal with being stuck here unless I decide to leave my family, which I am not about to do. Just as we had a choice to get the vaccine or not and to pick up and move or not, the other choice could easily be as bad as the current situation we are in.

So, we can continue to survive financially with the vaccine and risk our health, or we can remain relatively healthy and be on the streets or abandon our family. Yeah, that sounds like a real choice. It’s like asking which of your two children are you going to throw off the ship because there is in,y room for one in the final life boat.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:50 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,529,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
these threads are mostly a cesspool of ignorance - but the one good thing is that they're quite useful in signaling which posters are completely unhingned and/or misinformed menaces to public health. !
Yes, that's how public forums work. You get to see who we are, and we get to see who you are. Welcome to the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island