Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2021, 11:38 AM

58 posts, read 63,914 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I have been seeing listings with closing in June 2022- any one has any experience of going in contract now and then closing 8 months later. What are the cons? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 01:31 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spx9d View Post
Hi all - I have been seeing listings with closing in June 2022- any one has any experience of going in contract now and then closing 8 months later. What are the cons? Thank you
No personal experience, but each situation can be unique.
A seller may not be able(or want) to vacate the property for numerous reasons.
A big one, is school. The June date you mentioned is probably due to the kids being done for the year, or, just totally done with school. Sometimes it has to do with distance relocation plans/situation.
But this is not unheard of. It’s somewhat of a risk for the seller because it’s a turn off for buyers.
But if both parties agree and sign the contracts as such, it’s all good.

The closing is sometimes an issue when a mortgage is involved. Commitments are time sensitive.
Many times seller will close on a property with a rent clause, meaning the buyer pays rent until the vacate day.
It’s all legit, and in writing in the contracts.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
That’s crazy op.

But it almost seems the seller might have kids in school and doesn’t want to close until school is over? Idk. You have to ask your attorney what’s going on. 8 months is just way to long for my liking.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:05 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
They want to get the October 2021 price for a June 2022 closing, likely the youngest is graduating. THis way if the market crashes between now and then they've got you locked into way overpaying. Get a GOOD buyer's agent and attorney to review everything. Not sure how financing would work.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:44 PM

65 posts, read 39,015 times
In the early 2000s we didn't list our existing house until we had closed on the one we were buying. The 'new' house was a strip/gut-and-remodel which the contractor said was would be "4-month job" - we were savvy enough to know that really meant at least 6 months until the place was (maybe) move-in ready, lol. We didn't want to move twice, so we listed ours in August with the stipulation that the closing could not take place before April 1st (7 months.)

Our ultimate buyers were for cash, and so banks didn't come into the equation. It was a waterfront house and they said they didn't care as long as the closing took place before May 1st, so the contract stipulated that. They were coming from an apartment and so the worst that would have happened if our 'new' place wasn't ready by that date was an adjustment at closing to offset extra rent that they would need to pay (they had a lease until June 1st, so the actual drop-dead date on their end was Memorial Day weekend.)

To be honest, more potential buyers cited the taxes as a deterrent than the extended closing date. I think only one said they wanted to be in before Christmas (total non-starter.)

Even with giving ourselves those 'cushion' months, it was still a nail-biter because (Murphy's Law) our house wasn't move-in ready until literally the last week in March.

Last edited by blueworld; 10-17-2021 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-17-2021, 03:50 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They want to get the October 2021 price for a June 2022 closing, likely the youngest is graduating. THis way if the market crashes between now and then they've got you locked into way overpaying. Get a GOOD buyer's agent and attorney to review everything. Not sure how financing would work.
That’s the thing. They would still have to close on a mortgage waaaay before that.
So they would have to add a rent/possession clause.
But yeah would be a win for the seller IF the market crashed within that time period.
Or, you just never know, maybe the market will still climb. It’s all a gamble with real estate.
But I would say, if you love the house(or school district) that much, and can come to agreeable terms that work for both parties, I don’t see a reason to not go for it.
I know the buyers for my last house were so desperate and afraid because they had been out bid and lost out on numerous properties, that if I dictated similar vacate terms they most likely would’ve agreed.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 PM

21 posts, read 16,598 times
It is understandable if the seller wants to finalize their own situation before they vacate after closing. Buyers usually request up to a week and anything more would result in the seller paying per diem for each additional day.

It becomes tricky especially when financing comes into play. Assuming you lock in your rate early, you will most likely need to extend the rate lock since the closing date is so far out. The extension can be good for 90 days to as many as 8 months, depending on the lender. All of this comes with a pretty penny though.

By that time, you will have incurred a significant cost. You have to ask yourself if it is worth it, most will say no.

I am not saying it isn't possible. Just make sure you find yourself a good lender/loan officer and a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island