Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 06:18 PM

187 posts, read 112,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Back in the 1960's it was 2 cents, I agree it's crazy that it's only 5 cents over 50 years later especially with the proliferation of water bottles and other beverages. They need to increase it to a point where it changes behavior and these bottles don't end up in landfills. People complain about landfills, garbage trains but here we are trucking garbage to Ohio and South Carolina, how about we address the problem with a reasonable solution because our throw away society is doomed to failure.
I agree 5 cents is low, but I’m not following. What does it matter if the bottle is returned to the store or put into the recycling bin? Both are supposed to be recycled. Why is it in the trash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 05:36 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,401,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
I agree 5 cents is low, but I’m not following. What does it matter if the bottle is returned to the store or put into the recycling bin? Both are supposed to be recycled. Why is it in the trash?
My point was to have these bottles recycled and not end up in landfills, yes if they are put in recycling bins but many are tossed in the garbage or worse. When I don't see bottles on the side of the road or floating on the ocean I will know it is working.

Last edited by Goodnight; 11-29-2021 at 06:01 PM..

Old 12-10-2021, 02:34 AM

412 posts, read 292,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
My husband was chatting with one of the guys that pick up the recycling and he told him that most of the plastic bottles and cans end up in the landfill and are not recycled. In my neighborhood there is an elderly man that comes around my block in the middle of the night that rattles all the bins and makes a racket at 3:00 am. He takes everyone on my block's bottles away and earns his beer money, lol.
Do you really think the guy who picks up the recycling actually knows where the heck it ultimately goes? Yes, I'm sure the engineer who manages the entire recycling chain/workflow is the guy riding the back of the truck who picks up your cans. You probably ask car salesmen technical questions about cars too.

It is correct that lot of recycling, plastic at least, ends up in landfills. A lot of propaganda in the 1990s from plastic companies to try to make the materials seem more environmentally friendly is partly to blame for the overly optimistic expectations. Also, people like you who aren't too bright put out a lot of dirty plastic containers, or the wrong types of plastics, etc, making it expensive to clean/sort.

The key issue for me is that you get your info from the dude picking up the recycling. Next year he may be mowing a lawn or changing oil.

Your unvaccinated household that is suddenly concerned about what they put in their bodies probably produces a lot of empty plastic containers and cans of chemical laden processed foods for that elderly man to collect, lol!

Last edited by isles08; 12-10-2021 at 02:57 AM..

Old 12-10-2021, 08:52 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,534,626 times
You're lucky if it ends up in landfills. Much of the "recycling" produced by first world countries is simply shipped to the third world, where local serf labor picks through it for valuables and tosses the rest into the local river. Many of these countries are in Asia, which is already responsible for most of the plastic waste - in the form of discarded fishing equipment - in our oceans, and which in any event totally mismanage their own waste.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-global-crisis

Old 12-10-2021, 10:50 AM

544 posts, read 947,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenF View Post
It is kind of wild that it's still a 5 cent deposit, 50 years after it was first introduced in Oregon in 1971. 5 cents back then was the equivalent of about 35 cents today.
Imagine what a princely sum a 1 cent deposit on a soda bottle in the 1930's would be to a kid returning a bottle?

Old 12-10-2021, 11:01 AM

544 posts, read 947,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Back in the 1960's it was 2 cents, I agree it's crazy that it's only 5 cents over 50 years later especially with the proliferation of water bottles and other beverages. They need to increase it to a point where it changes behavior and these bottles don't end up in landfills. People complain about landfills, garbage trains but here we are trucking garbage to Ohio and South Carolina, how about we address the problem with a reasonable solution because our throw away society is doomed to failure.
Realistically, the deposit will not go up to a crazy amount. Beverage companies do not want to see a dip in sales brought about by a significant bottle deposit increase. Will NYS some day see 10 cents? I believe it will, especially because so many of us are already tossing our deposit cans into the recycling bin as opposed to returning them. They'll probably mirror Vermont, with deposits ranging between 5 and 15 cents, depending upon the beverage.

If the states were truly concerned about pollution, they would demand reusable containers -- like old school milk bottles or, more recently, the old Pop Shoppe with its refillable bottles.

https://www.longisland70skid.com/pop-shoppe/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island