Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 04:14 PM

185 posts, read 109,695 times

Advertisements

New York has a 5 cent per container deposit. An advocacy group wants it increased to 10 cents and to include wine bottles and non-carbonated drinks like Gatorade. The law was updated in 2009 to include water bottles.

The argument is that beverage container redemptions have stagnated at 64% but states with the 10 cent deposit have higher redemption rates.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...hul-1.50426686

What do you all think? We recycle all of our bottles and cans but we don’t bring them back to the supermarket we put them in the recycling bin for collection by the sanitation department. I mentioned this at a family BBQ and my aunt was aghast. I don’t think it’s worth my time and anyway, the point is to get people to recycle, which I am doing. The state gets to keep the 5 cents per can or bottle. What is the problem? I think they might lose revenue if they raised the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 06:46 PM

259 posts, read 174,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
New York has a 5 cent per container deposit. An advocacy group wants it increased to 10 cents and to include wine bottles and non-carbonated drinks like Gatorade. The law was updated in 2009 to include water bottles.

The argument is that beverage container redemptions have stagnated at 64% but states with the 10 cent deposit have higher redemption rates.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...hul-1.50426686

What do you all think? We recycle all of our bottles and cans but we don’t bring them back to the supermarket we put them in the recycling bin for collection by the sanitation department. I mentioned this at a family BBQ and my aunt was aghast. I don’t think it’s worth my time and anyway, the point is to get people to recycle, which I am doing. The state gets to keep the 5 cents per can or bottle. What is the problem? I think they might lose revenue if they raised the price.
I am more interesting in learning if bottle redemption results in a higher or lower rate of bottles/cans/etc actually being recycled than just putting it out for with trash pickup in separate container.

And I don't think the state collects the deposit all of the deposit. The stores get to keep 20%.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:21 PM

323 posts, read 198,951 times
My husband was chatting with one of the guys that pick up the recycling and he told him that most of the plastic bottles and cans end up in the landfill and are not recycled. In my neighborhood there is an elderly man that comes around my block in the middle of the night that rattles all the bins and makes a racket at 3:00 am. He takes everyone on my block's bottles away and earns his beer money, lol.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
We send them all to the recycle bin. Not worth my time waiting on line with the machines breaking down half the time. It just is not worth the $2.50. Raising it to 10 cents won’t help. Still not worth it.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:19 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
We send them all to the recycle bin. Not worth my time waiting on line with the machines breaking down half the time. It just is not worth the $2.50. Raising it to 10 cents won’t help. Still not worth it.
Same here. And then half the time the machines don't take the bottles because that store doesn't sell that product..it's a miserable experience for the $100 a year or so my family would save. $200? Nah, probably still wouldn't do it.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:56 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
when I go to NJ, on my way back I just pick up 4-5 cases of water and beer too. 40 pack X 5 cases= $10 worth of deposits.

I agree, its a pita to bring it back to those machines.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:06 PM

185 posts, read 109,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
when I go to NJ, on my way back I just pick up 4-5 cases of water and beer too. 40 pack X 5 cases= $10 worth of deposits.

I agree, its a pita to bring it back to those machines.
Wow J had no idea that NJ didn’t have a deposit

Old 11-22-2021, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 693 times
It is kind of wild that it's still a 5 cent deposit, 50 years after it was first introduced in Oregon in 1971. 5 cents back then was the equivalent of about 35 cents today.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:01 PM

36 posts, read 33,596 times
it's just another state money grab. They know most households just recycle and they get pocket the difference for whatever the new pet project of the day is. Also, spreading it to cover other containers is just a new grocery tax. Realistically, it should be gotten rid of all together as is the case in most other states. We live in a world with recycling collection for decades which was not the case when this started. This will also incentivize some people ripping apart trash and leaving a mess to blow around (beyond what already happens) - the opposite of the feel gooder part of the original idea.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:09 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenF View Post
It is kind of wild that it's still a 5 cent deposit, 50 years after it was first introduced in Oregon in 1971. 5 cents back then was the equivalent of about 35 cents today.
Back in the 1960's it was 2 cents, I agree it's crazy that it's only 5 cents over 50 years later especially with the proliferation of water bottles and other beverages. They need to increase it to a point where it changes behavior and these bottles don't end up in landfills. People complain about landfills, garbage trains but here we are trucking garbage to Ohio and South Carolina, how about we address the problem with a reasonable solution because our throw away society is doomed to failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island