Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 07:13 AM

186 posts, read 67,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Folks who don’t want the Covid vaccine (in many cases younger, healthier types who don’t see themselves in the ‘at-risk’ pool) are anti-vax?

I guess you could conclude folks who don’t eat cabbage are anti-food.
There's also a ton of at-risk people who refuse to get it purely for political reasons and then bog down hospitals when they become severely ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 08:39 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
There's also a ton of at-risk people who refuse to get it purely for political reasons and then bog down hospitals when they become severely ill.
While it is true that black and Hispanic folks may have a lower vaccine rate than whites and Asians I’m not sure I’d lump their politics (or even care about their politics) into a generalized category.

Speaking of 'a ton', some folks have blamed fatties (of all races and politics) for not slimming down a year and a half ago when this co-morbidity became obvious …at this point we haven’t seen a catastrophe at the hospitals and that sort of finger-pointing regarding the ill is odious.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 12-23-2021 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-23-2021, 10:31 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
Are you sure about that? Not everyone heading into the ICU is an non-vaccinated COVID patient, only around 13 to 25% are confirmed Rona cases, and a good portion of those aren't even in for the Rona but something else. And then not all the Rona cases are in ICU for Rona treatment but to isolate them better.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:02 AM

244 posts, read 669,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Are you sure about that? Not everyone heading into the ICU is an non-vaccinated COVID patient, only around 13 to 25% are confirmed Rona cases, and a good portion of those aren't even in for the Rona but something else. And then not all the Rona cases are in ICU for Rona treatment but to isolate them better.
If you are going to be unvaccinated, that is your right and I support your choice. But don't go looking for medical attention if you get sick as a result of your own personal negligence. Stay home and self treat so that responsible people with breakthrough cases can be treated first.

Why are the insurance companies paying for treating unvaccinated people when 98% of those costs were preventable? Those patients need to be held personally financially liable for their own care.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
If you are going to be unvaccinated, that is your right and I support your choice. But don't go looking for medical attention if you get sick as a result of your own personal negligence. Stay home and self treat so that responsible people with breakthrough cases can be treated first.

Why are the insurance companies paying for treating unvaccinated people when 98% of those costs were preventable? Those patients need to be held personally financially liable for their own care.
Some people view the fatties in the same way (everybody knows that is a serious comorbidity) and surely they had every opportunity to ditch the weight. Just stop gobbling the food and laying around.

Obesity Worsens Outcomes from COVID-19
Adults with excess weight are at even greater risk during the COVID-19 pandemic:

- Having obesity increases the risk of severe illness from COVID-19. People who are overweight may also be at increased risk.
- Having obesity may triple the risk of hospitalization due to a COVID-19 infection.
- Obesity is linked to impaired immune function.2,3
- Obesity decreases lung capacity and reserve and can make ventilation more difficult.4
- A study of COVID-19 cases suggests that risks of hospitalization, intensive care unit admission, invasive mechanical ventilation, and death are higher with increasing BMI.5
- The increased risk for hospitalization or death was particularly pronounced in those under age 65. 5
- More than 900,000 adult COVID-19 hospitalizations occurred in the United States between the beginning of the pandemic and November 18, 2020. Models estimate that 271,800 (30.2%) of these hospitalizations were attributed to obesity.6
- Children diagnosed with obesity may suffer worse outcomes from COVID-19. In a study of COVID-19 cases in patients aged 18 years and younger, having obesity was associated with a 3.07 times higher risk of hospitalization and a 1.42 times higher risk of severe illness (intensive care unit admission, invasive mechanical ventilation, or death) when hospitalized.7

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obe...une%20function.

Those patients need to be held personally financially liable for their own care. And don't get me started with smokers and their lungs and Covid. Those of us who are responsible regarding our health should not be saddled with paying the costs of the fatties and the smokers.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 12-23-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-23-2021, 12:29 PM

But don't go looking for medical attention if you get sick as a result of your own personal negligence. Stay home and self treat so that responsible people with breakthrough cases can be treated first.

Like QC said, many of those who end up in the hospital with COVID often have conditions brought on by neglecting their health for years and even decades, so let's put them on the end of the line too.

"Breakthrough" cases are growing for several reasons: Rapid loss of efficacy in the vaccines, vaccines not made for the variant de jour, and some people are just really susceptible because of existing conditions or neglecting their health.

Health conditions from smoking is still outpacing COVID for deaths, so let's not even let them get any medical care even for a hang nail.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:44 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Folks who don’t want the Covid vaccine (in many cases younger, healthier types who don’t see themselves in the ‘at-risk’ pool) are anti-vax?

I guess you could conclude folks who don’t eat cabbage are anti-food.
Such an odd analogy, sort of like comparing apples to, maybe hammers?

If that mindset held up, why vaccinate babies? Why not let the natural process work itself out and see how things develop? Or, for that matter, take antibiotics when fighting a bacterial infection? Sure, a young person with a healthy immune system might die from a streptococcus infection, but why not take that chance to avoid unnecessary medication?

And my favorite analogy: If you don't want the vaccine because you believe in the natural order of things, stop wearing seatbelts. Most people who are in car accidents walk away unscathed, it's rare that a seatbelt actually directly contributes to someone surviving a crash. And they're so restricting and occasionally uncomfortable, is it really necessary to use them when the risk of serious injury or death is so low?

Oh and by the way, there may be credible numbers somewhere to back your assertion that most of the anti-vaxers are younger (these days I feel like almost everyone is younger than me), but most of the people I know who have declined to get vaccinated are Gen-X or older. Admittedly that's anecdotal, and might reflect more on who I hang out with most of the time, but my two adult sons, and those that I know from either work or my expanded social circle were among the very first to get them.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:00 PM

Actually why do they want to vaccinate babies?

Old 12-24-2021, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter

I guess you could conclude folks who don’t eat cabbage are anti-food
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Such an odd analogy, sort of like comparing apples to, maybe hammers?
That was to address the (false) notion from another poster that those who have decided this specific Covid vaccine is not for them (and/or their little children) are necessarily anti-vax.

(One can reject one specific type of food without being anti-food)

Old 12-24-2021, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

"Breakthrough" cases are growing for several reasons: Rapid loss of efficacy in the vaccines, vaccines not made for the variant de jour, and some people are just really susceptible because of existing conditions or neglecting their health.
I've found the label 'breakthrough' as in 'breakthrough cases' actually tricks some people into thinking that a Covid-vaccinated person getting infected (and infecting others) is quite unusual. This thinking is false.

(Perhaps this misunderstanding leads some folks into some real errors in perception regarding vax mandates and passports, herd immunity possibilities, spread, and blame-gaming.)

And the (very) routine infection of the vaccinated occurs due to the factors you note.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 12-24-2021 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island