Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 01:51 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I've found the label 'breakthrough' as in 'breakthrough cases' actually tricks some people into thinking that a Covid-vaccinated person getting infected (and infecting others) is quite unusual. This thinking is false.

(Perhaps this misunderstanding leads some folks into some real errors in perception regarding vax mandates and passports, herd immunity possibilities, spread, and blame-gaming.)

And the (very) routine infection of the vaccinated occurs due to the factors you note.
As far as I know the vax is still geared toward the initial COVID variant, and people can catch different variants of COVID like they do with the flu and regular colds. So the breakthroughs aren't all that surprising, but that isn't what politicians are selling, they're selling that they can stop the Rona even if they need to use draconian measures. That was a fine way of thinking in early 2020 but not so much in 2021 and especially not in 2022.

I'm always amazed that politicians are so willing to double down on things that didn't really work before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 12:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Such an odd analogy, sort of like comparing apples to, maybe hammers?

If that mindset held up, why vaccinate babies? Why not let the natural process work itself out and see how things develop? Or, for that matter, take antibiotics when fighting a bacterial infection? Sure, a young person with a healthy immune system might die from a streptococcus infection, but why not take that chance to avoid unnecessary medication?

And my favorite analogy: If you don't want the vaccine because you believe in the natural order of things, stop wearing seatbelts. Most people who are in car accidents walk away unscathed, it's rare that a seatbelt actually directly contributes to someone surviving a crash. And they're so restricting and occasionally uncomfortable, is it really necessary to use them when the risk of serious injury or death is so low?

Oh and by the way, there may be credible numbers somewhere to back your assertion that most of the anti-vaxers are younger (these days I feel like almost everyone is younger than me), but most of the people I know who have declined to get vaccinated are Gen-X or older. Admittedly that's anecdotal, and might reflect more on who I hang out with most of the time, but my two adult sons, and those that I know from either work or my expanded social circle were among the very first to get them.
We vaccinate babies for other diseases because those vaccines actually work. Actual sterilizing vaccines prevent you from getting sick and lead to the eradication - or at least, rarity - of the disease itself in the general population, which is why smallpox is over and polio is a rarity that only happens in the third world. The Covid "vaccines" just, at best, help you fight the disease if you get it. They're really just a therapeutic.

Which is fine. We need more therapeutics. More treatments. More things like monoclonal antibodies that actually work. We'll see if Pfizermectin is as effective as they promise. The fixation on vaccinating against a coronavirus - something that we've never achieved ever in human history - has to go by the wayside. The vast majority of deaths would have been avoided if the medical field wasn't so fixated on a vaccine that doesn't do its job instead of actually treating people BEFORE they end up in the hospital, when it's often too late. Nope. They just say stay home and take Tylenol and call us when your blood oxygen level is <90%. What a joke.

I'm tired of the HOSPITALS ARE FULL angle. They are ALWAYS full, and we still managed to lay off 30,000 unvaccinated health care workers this year in New York alone, and somehow not expand ER capacity despite two years and billions of dollars spent. Even at the height of the pandemic I can recall only one hospital that was over capacity, and that's Elmhurst, which is a S Show on a normal day. Still have plenty of time to make dancing nurse TikTok videos though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
As far as I know the vax is still geared toward the initial COVID variant, and people can catch different variants of COVID like they do with the flu and regular colds. So the breakthroughs aren't all that surprising, but that isn't what politicians are selling, they're selling that they can stop the Rona even if they need to use draconian measures. That was a fine way of thinking in early 2020 but not so much in 2021 and especially not in 2022.

I'm always amazed that politicians are so willing to double down on things that didn't really work before.
Why wouldn't they? Half the people will believe them no matter what garbage they spew out.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:23 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Why wouldn't they? Half the people will believe them no matter what garbage they spew out.
There is that.

Kind of like the non-vaccinated filling up the ICUs, but leaving out the details why some are showing up. Yesterday I was talking with a doctor who is quitting her job at a big university hospital because she's burned out. What she is seeing right now is asymptomatic people coming in who tested positive, the protocol is to isolate them so off they go to the ICU, ICU is already down several doctors and nurses so they put more strain on the remaining staff which contributes to them burning out. Once it's determined that they don't need any additional treatment they are sent home to quarantine in place which is what they should have done to begin with. But the pols have half the country so worked up that a sniffle results in a needless test.
Note: This is what she said she is experiencing in her hospital so take it with a grain of salt, but she is leaving her current job and relocating.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:12 PM

398 posts, read 206,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Still avoiding indoor dining in Long Island, but most people I know are plunging in. At least the City restaurants require proof of vaccine to enter- but LI restaurants are not. How do you reconcile sitting in a crowded room of strangers eating without a mask or knowing their vaccine status - yet people are really angry and anxious when people get on the LIRR or subway without a mask? You don't find indoor dining on LI risky business?
The answer to this is simple. Just like we had smoking and non smoking sections do the same thing vac and no vac sections and everyone is happy.

May 25, 1983 — After surveying 11,000 commuters, the L.I.R.R. last week reduced once again the number of smoking cars on each train.

M.T.A. Bans All Smoking On Its Trains - The New York Times Jan 23, 1988 — Smoking cars have been a part of the railroads since their very beginning. Smoking was permitted in all Long Island Rail Road cars for the first...

So again mask and no mask cars vaccine and no vac cars, restaurant seating instead of this game where one group has to bully another all this fighting.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:12 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
The answer to this is simple. Just like we had smoking and non smoking sections do the same thing vac and no vac sections and everyone is happy.

May 25, 1983 — After surveying 11,000 commuters, the L.I.R.R. last week reduced once again the number of smoking cars on each train.

M.T.A. Bans All Smoking On Its Trains - The New York Times Jan 23, 1988 — Smoking cars have been a part of the railroads since their very beginning. Smoking was permitted in all Long Island Rail Road cars for the first...

So again mask and no mask cars vaccine and no vac cars, restaurant seating instead of this game where one group has to bully another all this fighting.
Among other things, once you find out that blacks are the least vaccinated group, you'll see why this is politically untenable. It's dumb for plenty of other reasons too but I'll go with that one since it'll hit you in the woke nards.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:34 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I was just told by my husbands co-worker (thanks to DeBlasio) wearing a mask in any part of the 5 boroughs is not enough. You must show proof of vaccination status. This guy lives in Staten Island and it's the same there.so if you are not vaccinated you cannot enter any business even if you have a mask on.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:03 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Still avoiding indoor dining in Long Island, but most people I know are plunging in. At least the City restaurants require proof of vaccine to enter- but LI restaurants are not. How do you reconcile sitting in a crowded room of strangers eating without a mask or knowing their vaccine status - yet people are really angry and anxious when people get on the LIRR or subway without a mask? You don't find indoor dining on LI risky business?
Been eating indoors since they "gave us our freedom back".........

Old 12-27-2021, 10:07 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Honestly, I prefer takeout nowadays. We went out last weekend and I spent $35 on tip (for mediocre service), when I could've spent $5 on tip if I had taken the same food to go.

If I want that "eating out" experience, I'll order the food to go and then go eat it in the mall food court...
Tip for takeout? Why?

Old 12-27-2021, 10:40 AM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Went to my favorite pizza joint in queens yesterday. Zero problems and no one asked.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:42 AM

855 posts, read 450,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Went to my favorite pizza joint in queens yesterday. Zero problems and no one asked.
Maybe they're smart enough to realize it is the vaxxed who are spreading COVID so it makes no difference one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island