Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 11:48 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,948,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Maybe they're smart enough to realize it is the vaxxed who are spreading COVID so it makes no difference one way or the other.
Anyone with a bit of brain knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 02:35 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Among other things, once you find out that blacks are the least vaccinated group, you'll see why this is politically untenable. It's dumb for plenty of other reasons too but I'll go with that one since it'll hit you in the woke nards.
Except for the fact it isn't exactly true, delving further into it, vaccination rates generally fall more under an urban/rural and political split then racial lines.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:41 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Except for the fact it isn't true and hasn't been for months.
https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...ace-ethnicity/

Oof.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:43 PM

718 posts, read 620,595 times
White castle I don't think is looking for proof

Old 12-27-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I expanded on it further. The gaps are larger for an urban/rural divide and political divide than racial divide.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...november-2021/

Old 12-27-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I expanded on it further. The gaps are larger for an urban/rural divide and political divide than racial divide.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...november-2021/
Fair enough. But I'm still waiting for urban liberals to notice that covid restrictions remove the entire value proposition of city life. A virus so strong that it can get past 3 vaccines but can’t get past your paw patrol mask.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. But I'm still waiting for urban liberals to notice that covid restrictions remove the entire value proposition of city life. A virus so strong that it can get past 3 vaccines but can’t get past your paw patrol mask.
Note the purpose of the mask was more about reducing the spread than eliminating it outright and more about reducing the spread than reducing the chances of catching it. Also keep in mind, vaccines while do reduce the chances of getting it and passing it are more about having less serious impacts if you do get it. Those who are hospitalized due to covid are still disproportionately unvaccinated, and those who die from COVID are still 13x as likely among unvaccinated as vaccinated and that is despite the fact that those who are older and more at risk to begin with are vaccinated at higher rates

Putting that argument aside, as far as the value proposition of city life, I do not see much of an impact in part due to the gap among urban/rural in getting vaccinated in the first place.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Note the purpose of the mask was more about reducing the spread than eliminating it outright and more about reducing the spread than reducing the chances of catching it. Also keep in mind, vaccines while do reduce the chances of getting it and passing it are more about having less serious impacts if you do get it. Those who are hospitalized due to covid are still disproportionately unvaccinated, and those who die from COVID are still 13x as likely among unvaccinated as vaccinated and that is despite the fact that those who are older and more at risk to begin with are vaccinated at higher rates

Putting that argument aside, as far as the value proposition of city life, I do not see much of an impact in part due to the gap among urban/rural in getting vaccinated in the first place.
- You're moving the goalposts. The vaccines were sold as "vaccines", not some sort of gene therapy that may or may not help you not die from a virus that is 99% survivable. I have every other vaccine and I don't have to worry about getting measles and polio. Covid, not so much.

- There are already decades of research concluding that community masking of healthy people does not prevent viral (influenza) transmission. Studies since CoV2 are low on the evidence pyramid and are being overstated.

- This absolutely brutal preprint from Denmark shows zero vaccine effectiveness against Omicron beginning two months after “peak” protection (lol peak), and sharply negative protection three months out. In other words, vaccinated people were much MORE likely to get Omicron beginning about 100 days after the second dose. What about boosters? They did, well, very little. But go get one anyway! Pfizer will thank you.See how the green dot goes below the black line? Yeah, that’s bad. Lucky you, Omicron is a cold (at least, per South Africa, for the unvaccinated).

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...66v1.full-text

You floomers are something else. I feel like I'm being pulled off a cliff by a massive, endless crowd of people who are running away from a paper bag that isn't there, and doing it self-righteously.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:12 AM

186 posts, read 67,635 times
Quote:
- You're moving the goalposts. The vaccines were sold as "vaccines", not some sort of gene therapy that may or may not help you not die from a virus that is 99% survivable. I have every other vaccine and I don't have to worry about getting measles and polio. Covid, not so much.
The flu vaccine is also sold as a "vaccine" and does not provide 100% protection against the flu. Seems like you're the one moving the goalposts here no?

Quote:
Studies since CoV2 are low on the evidence pyramid and are being overstated.
According to what or is that just your own opinion? Anecdotally I've been around people while masked who later tested positive for COVID and ended up avoiding infection. Of course I'm sure cloth masks are probably useless but KN95 or N95 should provide some level of protection.

Quote:
This absolutely brutal preprint from Denmark shows zero vaccine effectiveness against Omicron beginning two months after “peak” protection (lol peak), and sharply negative protection three months out. In other words, vaccinated people were much MORE likely to get Omicron beginning about 100 days after the second dose. What about boosters? They did, well, very little. But go get one anyway! Pfizer will thank you.See how the green dot goes below the black line? Yeah, that’s bad. Lucky you, Omicron is a cold (at least, per South Africa, for the unvaccinated).

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...66v1.full-text

You floomers are something else. I feel like I'm being pulled off a cliff by a massive, endless crowd of people who are running away from a paper bag that isn't there, and doing it self-righteously.
Do you even read these studies before posting them and coming up with baseless conclusions that are not even supported by the studies themselves?

Here's an excerpt you may have missed:
Quote:
The negative estimates in the final period arguably suggest different behaviour and/or exposure patterns in the vaccinated and unvaccinated cohorts causing underestimation of the VE. This was likely the result of Omicron spreading rapidly initially through single (super-spreading) events causing many infections among young, vaccinated individuals.

A recent study from England (in preprint) found higher effectiveness against symptomatic Omicron initially after BNT162b2 vaccination followed by a rapid decline in protection, and that VE increased to 75.5% (56.1 to 86.3%) two weeks after booster vaccination using unvaccinated individuals as comparison.

Our study contributes to emerging evidence that BNT162b2 or mRNA-1273 primary vaccine protection against Omicron decreases quickly over time with booster vaccination offering a significant increase in protection. In light of the exponential rise in Omicron cases, these findings highlight the need for massive rollout of vaccinations and booster vaccinations.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:14 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
The flu vaccine is also sold as a "vaccine" and does not provide 100% protection against the flu.
Not true. I have eight years of emails from a hospital system stating it is time for your "flu shot" up until 2020 when it was changed to "flu vaccine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island