Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 06:13 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,199,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
I hardly saw any plowers out there, and when they do come , on the back roads they don't really clean the streets if anything they make it worse because they push back everything you have shoveled onto your street parking If I'm not mistaken the county is suppose to make sure the roads including parking spaces, they just come and push the snow on to the parking spots
As previously posted, they have fewer people to plow that are experienced. Plowing a neighborhood street it no picnic, and if you think about it logically instead of just complaining, what would you suggest the plower drier does with the snow? Let's say you are the 5th house down a street, and you have done your shoveling already. Exactly what do you want a plow driver to do with that accumulated snow in the plow? If he were to stop, back up and go around it, there would be mounts of snow in front of every space available and the roads would be impassible.

They do the best they can with the side streets after the main roads are done. IF you don't like it then don't clean and hire someone to do it for you after they plow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 06:32 AM

13,517 posts, read 17,069,823 times
In my area plows were on our neighborhood street around 2 hours after the snow stopped. All of us snow blowing knew that the end of our driveways would be buried when they came by no matter how much we prepped. So just left the end until after they made their 3 passes, and dealt with it.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:04 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,498,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
In my area plows were on our neighborhood street around 2 hours after the snow stopped. All of us snow blowing knew that the end of our driveways would be buried when they came by no matter how much we prepped. So just left the end until after they made their 3 passes, and dealt with it.
Us too. Those plows can't push much snow back into our driveway if there's already a foot-wide bank of snow at the road. Usually it's a lighter snow than what the snow plows push in. We wait.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:18 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,070,112 times
I'm pleased with the plowing where I am, its the homeowners who set the snow blower hopper to blow an entire driveway's worth of snow back out into the street. This creates a mound/mogul field of soupy mashed potatoes to navigate after the plow has done it's job.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:24 AM

186 posts, read 111,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Not upset at all.

There was a state of emergency and no one should have been out driving anyways. I’m sure the plows will be working all night to get t roads cleared for tomorrow.
Exactly, this is why they declared a state of emergency and told everyone to stay off the roads.

It’s really helpful for announcements like this to set expectations with employers, to realistically admit that typical services, (clean roads, train service, flights, etc.), will be impacted. . A few years before COVID, Cuomo actually told people not to take the LIRR in a storm, and many people did not feel pressured to trek into the city.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:16 AM

874 posts, read 731,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I'm pleased with the plowing where I am, its the homeowners who set the snow blower hopper to blow an entire driveway's worth of snow back out into the street. This creates a mound/mogul field of soupy mashed potatoes to navigate after the plow has done it's job.
Merrick road is dangerous, there is like an inch of snow on the ground, can't even see the road. Seen alot of people stuck trying to get into shopping centers and got stuck in the entrance/exits because of bad snow removal jobs

Old 01-30-2022, 08:53 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,070,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
Merrick road is dangerous, there is like an inch of snow on the ground, can't even see the road. Seen alot of people stuck trying to get into shopping centers and got stuck in the entrance/exits because of bad snow removal jobs
Was this due to the services hired to plow the parking lots doing a bad job, or homeowners/businesses shoveling/blowing snow back on to the already plowed areas? I know street plows can close in driveway openings on a second pass after they have been cleared, this second batch can be partially melted and frozen back again making it heavier and more cement like over fresh snowfall.

Unfortunately in the latter case, the street plower's are not really at fault and don't have much choice. In addition, what they are re-clearing is often snow blown back out into street after the initial pass.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:33 AM

926 posts, read 573,201 times
Lessons learned from the Blizzards (there were 2) of 1978 in central LI: never do more than 1/3 in towards your curb cuts until after the plows are finally done. Leave a considerable snow wall in place. Otherwise, the plows will simply fill your cuts as the nearest empty spot.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:45 AM

874 posts, read 731,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Was this due to the services hired to plow the parking lots doing a bad job, or homeowners/businesses shoveling/blowing snow back on to the already plowed areas? I know street plows can close in driveway openings on a second pass after they have been cleared, this second batch can be partially melted and frozen back again making it heavier and more cement like over fresh snowfall.

Unfortunately in the latter case, the street plower's are not really at fault and don't have much choice. In addition, what they are re-clearing is often snow blown back out into street after the initial pass.
The actual merrick road itself is now just 1 lane east and 1 lane west, the 2 other lanes are just mountains of snow, and now rock hard ice. Who ever did merrick road did a bad job. It looks like a side street for crying out loud and it's a major highway. They didn't use enough salt.

Last edited by broke&30; 01-30-2022 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-30-2022, 09:52 AM

179 posts, read 305,240 times
There’s no shortage of ways to justifiably complain about lack of public service despite high taxes but I’ll give credit where it’s due. The snow removal services were great over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island