Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 02:18 PM

874 posts, read 729,234 times

Advertisements

I hardly saw any plowers out there, and when they do come , on the back roads they don't really clean the streets if anything they make it worse because they push back everything you have shoveled onto your street parking If I'm not mistaken the county is suppose to make sure the roads including parking spaces, they just come and push the snow on to the parking spots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 04:30 PM

20,938 posts, read 28,449,340 times
I haven't paid much attention. Have not even dug myself out yet. I have a guy coming in 2 hours.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,166,892 times
Not upset at all.

There was a state of emergency and no one should have been out driving anyways. I’m sure the plows will be working all night to get t roads cleared for tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:54 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,091,329 times
roads are very clear here. 25A and LIE service road was clear at 3pm. not many cars out there which was great

Old 01-30-2022, 01:49 AM

129 posts, read 129,420 times
In general, I think they do a very good job. One of the few credits to our local governments.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:41 AM

5,833 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Everything was done great. I don’t need tons of salt all over the roads ruining the roads and my car.

Learn how to drive in s now or stay home for a few days.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:06 AM

1,268 posts, read 563,159 times
I've noticed a decline in recent years near my house. Having worked in local government, I saw some of the reasons. Senior people with plow experience retired, leaving younger guys. Young guys didn't know what they were doing or didn't even have CDL, meaning they got stuck in small trucks that don't move much snow. The staff has slowly shrunk year after year, putting more work on those left. It was at a point where fewer qualified employees (from departments other than Highway/Parks who plow as normal duty) would volunteer to cover plow duty.

You may remember one storm about 6 years ago. The nee supervisor wanted to offer comp time instead of the cash OT that had always accompanied plow duty. Half the crew walked off the job.

There is also the issue of modern social media connection and campaigns. In some instances it's a great way to share information, but in these cases it often led to plow drivers being pulled off of their established route to to do spot plowing on a street because someone complained to a councilman.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:07 AM

1,268 posts, read 563,159 times
All that said, the public needs to just stay off the roads during these events. It makes it harder for crews to prep a d then plow.

I would say pull cars off the street so the plows can clear curb to curb, but that doesn't seem to happen anyway. Likely attributed to more ground to cover with fewer drivers and no time to come back and make several passes.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:24 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
All that said, the public needs to just stay off the roads during these events. It makes it harder for crews to prep a d then plow.

I would say pull cars off the street so the plows can clear curb to curb, but that doesn't seem to happen anyway. Likely attributed to more ground to cover with fewer drivers and no time to come back and make several passes.
While I agree about keeping cars off the street, my issue with where I live, the real plows don't come until 12 hrs after the storm is done. So I go out, clean driveway, then the next morning I have a 3 foot wall of snow and ice at the end of my driveway. It's ridiculous they come that much later. Who ever is in charge of my area flat out sucks.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:10 AM

19,233 posts, read 17,110,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
I hardly saw any plowers out there, and when they do come , on the back roads they don't really clean the streets if anything they make it worse because they push back everything you have shoveled onto your street parking If I'm not mistaken the county is suppose to make sure the roads including parking spaces, they just come and push the snow on to the parking spots
Where would you like them to push the snow? If the "parking spaces" are not clear of cars allowing somewhat of a curb-curb clearing spaces will get plowed in. With significant snows they are lucky to make a pass down the middle of the road on the secondary's. Welcome to winter....

But joking aside if you feel your town hasn't provided a good service complain to the town/village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island