Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 11:04 AM

21,009 posts, read 28,619,071 times

Advertisements

We have gas heat and we keep our thermostat set between 68 and 70 degrees in the winter. My home is warm and toasty all day and night. Maybe you need new windows. We got new ones last year and what a difference it has made keeping us warm in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 11:32 AM

61 posts, read 33,947 times
okay thx all for your input!!

alittle more back story to my heating. My home is a small ranch 1500 sqft mostly on 1 floor.

yes its the oil furnace with radiant heat and yes it does stay warmer when it cycles off and then i guess when the pipe temps get cooler it kicks back on.

I have gotten a tuneup and cleaned from petro (annual contract). and i guess i am using 80 to 100 gallons month give or take.

I did install nest learning Thermo myself.

thank you all for your input. and I will try heating or keeping it alittle warmer and see if that makes a difference

Old 02-02-2022, 11:36 AM

"yes its the oil furnace with radiant heat and yes it does stay warmer when it cycles off and then i guess when the pipe temps get cooler it kicks back on."

I guess I wanted the radiant heat to stay sizzling hot for 2 hr continuous then shut off rather than it cycling for 4 hrs. (again not an exact math figure) but just the way i feel the heat working.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:38 PM

1,626 posts, read 825,069 times
Somethings not really adding up. Check your service card do you have an efficiency number for the boiler ?

Energy Audit seems like a decent idea. Your losing heat somewhere.

I would call petro and ask how many gallons of oil you used for the year to see how you compare.

You can close the doors put the heat up see if somethings much colder than others. Try and track your weakness in insulation Down.

I had a bunch of work done redid a room realized there was a gap in insulation on an exterior wall. Solved my cold room issue.

I had an upstairs closest that connected to the attic that closet was ice cold and steaming hot on extreme days. I added insulation and caulked the seams of the little door. The temp of the closet dropped. Prevents the hot/cold air leaking into my upstairs.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:54 PM

hmm are you suggesting that i am using too much oil? about 80 gallons a month? in winter?

I do not know anything or much about oil furnaces but i am pretty handy and do alot of Diy and so my home is not drafty.

First thing i did when i bought the house last oct is caulked all the seams from out side the windows, flashings and moldings and led canlights etc etc doors. And As soon as winter came covered all or most of my windows with 6 mil clear plastic to cut any or most of the draft. My attick can use alittle mote insulation but that I have to diy this spring or summer. mYbe some radiant barrier and would like to put some flooring down for extra storage.

If you dont mind me asking? how many galloms do typical homes use in LI?

of course more savings the better.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkang View Post
hmm are you suggesting that i am using too much oil? about 80 gallons a month? in winter?

I do not know anything or much about oil furnaces but i am pretty handy and do alot of Diy and so my home is not drafty.

First thing i did when i bought the house last oct is caulked all the seams from out side the windows, flashings and moldings and led canlights etc etc doors. And As soon as winter came covered all or most of my windows with 6 mil clear plastic to cut any or most of the draft. My attick can use alittle mote insulation but that I have to diy this spring or summer. mYbe some radiant barrier and would like to put some flooring down for extra storage.

I use about 800 per year. I’m not suggesting your using to much but you estimated. I would call petro get an number and see what your working with.

The price of oil went up so I’m not sure how your estimating it. Based on price or actual gallons used per year.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...average-2.html

For a perspective.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:16 PM

2,696 posts, read 2,360,565 times
Quote:

to many variables to say your using to much oil. My home is more than double the size of yours and in dec and jan (I have gas) we used the equivalent of 55 gallons of oil a month and my stove and HW are gas house is kept on avg 68.

Last Time I had oil in 2019 house was 1300ish sq ft ranch with a 15yr old maintained boiler, I used about 90 gallons a month.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I use about 800 per year. I’m not suggesting your using to much but you estimated. I would call petro get an number and see what your working with.

The price of oil went up so I’m not sure how your estimating it. Based on price or actual gallons used per year.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/lon...average-2.html

For a perspective.
sincerely appreciate your and everyones help here.

I haf my tank full december and petro refilled 70 gallons after about a 25 days . so I just assumed give or take i am using 80 to 100 gallons during wonter months. i have only been here for about 5 month now. so i dont have a yearly data. And I am only talking about gallons rather than price cuz when i signed up oil was already at its peak.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
to many variables to say your using to much oil. My home is more than double the size of yours and in dec and jan (I have gas) we used the equivalent of 55 gallons of oil a month and my stove and HW are gas house is kept on avg 68.

Last Time I had oil in 2019 house was 1300ish sq ft ranch with a 15yr old maintained boiler, I used about 90 gallons a month.
your old house estimates seem equivalent to what i am using right now. i use oil for heat and hot water and my boiler is about 10 to 15 yrs old. 4bd 2 bath. 1400sqft ranch with a small dormer and finished basement. well this turned out to be a long thread. but maybe i should give petro a call to do some type of assessment. thx all.

I may experiment heating with currently equipped mini split to see if it will use alot more electricity. by having it help the boiler and heat the house up faster.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
your old house estimates seem equivalent to what i am using right now. i use oil for heat and hot water and my boiler is about 10 to 15 yrs old. 4bd 2 bath. 1400sqft ranch with a small dormer and finished basement. well this turned out to be a long thread. but maybe i should give petro a call to do some type of assessment. thx all.

I may experiment heating with currently equipped mini split to see if it will use alot more electricity. by having it help the boiler and heat the house up faster.
It doesn’t seem to bad honestly. I would try 64 instead of 58( also to
Prevent a frozen pipe on cold nights) Less catch up for the house. Might help You be more efficient.

Weather stripping around a garage door gap can help. A basic insulated garage door vs a uninsulated door helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: