Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 11:48 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Not sure how Nassau works. If this crap happens I wonder how it would playout in Suffolk. They take zoning away from townships. As it stands today, you can't build, expand do anything w/o the Board of Health approval. I imagine with sewers it's easier. Septic is another story, They cap bedrooms in all new homes. When houses are expanded the require new and larger septic systems. They could deny a tiny home or the conversion of a garage to an apartment. You would still need a permit, the townships just would have to issue it. Townships don't issue permits until you have BOH approval. You can't even file for a permit until you have the paperwork showing you filed with the BOH first. BOH could say not environmentally friendly denied. They do it all the time, 3 streets over a acre was subdivide 2 new homes going to be built 1/2 acre each. 3700 sq ft Suffolk BOH said 4 bedrooms max.
The utopian crazies don't think that far ahead. In Westchester they would do things like buy a house on a quiet residential street via shell company, knock it down and throw up an apartment building, regardless of whether the local power grid/sewer/water could support it. These are the same people who shut down Indian Point which supplied 12% of the power to NYC, with no plan to replace it, and then wondered why they were getting California-style brownouts when everyone turned their AC on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 11:52 AM

2,449 posts, read 1,224,277 times
UN Agenda 2030 in action

Conspiracy nuts proven right again.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:43 PM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
UN Agenda 2030 in action

Conspiracy nuts proven right again.
It's sounding like that.............

Old 02-04-2022, 06:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,166,892 times
I would have the think that if this would pass it would even ruffle the feathers of the left out here on the Island.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:52 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,777,306 times
Interesting update, heard today many of the LI Democrat senators are coming out as opposed to this. If most of the LI delegation comes out against it with just a handful of upstate its as good as dead.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:00 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,263,958 times
I wonder if this the latest idea from the extremists is really really about bribe money.

If you look at the exploding home prices AND rents in 2021, a big part of the reason is that these REITS and other real estate companies have been coming in and buying up single family homes and then renting them out. These REITS are competing with people trying to buy their own home, young people and first -time home buyers have no chance or have to pay their exorbitant rents.

Now I am wondering if these real estate companies are really behind the sudden effort to take away local zoning in New York. First, bribe some of the politicians up in Albany. Then the REITS can take all their single-family houses, convert them and rent them out at will to multiple tenants and there is nothing the local governments and even counties can do about it.

The taxpayers get stuck with the bill for new school, infastructure and road taxes.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:24 AM

186 posts, read 67,759 times
Don't many many of the houses on LI have accessory dwelling units already? I've seen 3 of my neighbors build basement apartments over the last few years - seems like the towns don't really bother to enforce many of the existing zoning rules. At the very least I would be in favor if they were taxed and regulated properly. That said I think the towns should be more open to affordable housing solutions for young people. So many adult children with cars living at home right now anyway.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:42 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,777,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
Don't many many of the houses on LI have accessory dwelling units already? I've seen 3 of my neighbors build basement apartments over the last few years - seems like the towns don't really bother to enforce many of the existing zoning rules. At the very least I would be in favor if they were taxed and regulated properly. That said I think the towns should be more open to affordable housing solutions for young people. So many adult children with cars living at home right now anyway.
Depends on where you live. Some villages for example are extremely strict in enforcing those rules other areas not so much. But to say it’s completely unenforced is false. Regardless this takes all the power away from localities to have their own zoning rules and laws, it’s also a “testing the waters” attempt to gauge eliminating single family zoning completely like California just did.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:17 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This law literally overrides them. Basically if an owner wants to build a legal apartment in their home or even one in their back yard (if they have the land) the town/village/city can’t stop them with local zoning laws.
You really think people are going to rush to build additional units on their properties if this law passes? It's very expensive to do so with all the professional fees. Then people have to assess if they can even afford the tax increase. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Also, if this law comes to fruition, it will not automatically legalize any units that have not been filed and permitted with their prospective municipality.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-06-2022, 12:00 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,522,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
The zero amount of illegal rentals in Garden City says don't smell your post too closely. The "toleration" of these places as peconic said varies entirely by the will of the local municipality to enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You really think people are going to rush to build additional units on their properties if this law passes? It's very expensive to do so with all the professional fees. Then people have to assess if they can even afford the tax increase. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Also, if this law comes to fruition, it will not automatically legalize any units that have not been filed and permitted with their prospective municipality.
Some people will rush to do it, absolutely. Professional landlords, for instance. Predominately in lower income areas, so you'll see a bunch of them in places like Westbury, adding more people of questionable citizenship to an already distressed area (and school district). And as we saw from the example of Westchester, unscrupulous developers and NGOs will take the lead in screwing over the local population.

It's almost as if it's on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island