Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 12:24 PM

34,221 posts, read 47,546,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The zero amount of illegal rentals in Garden City says don't smell your post too closely. The "toleration" of these places as peconic said varies entirely by the will of the local municipality to enforce it.

Some people will rush to do it, absolutely. Professional landlords, for instance. Predominately in lower income areas, so you'll see a bunch of them in places like Westbury, adding more people of questionable citizenship to an already distressed area (and school district). And as we saw from the example of Westchester, unscrupulous developers and NGOs will take the lead in screwing over the local population.

It's almost as if it's on purpose.
Since when did the LI forum ever care about what happens in low-income areas

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 12:54 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,051,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Seriously lol

More screeching about nothing as usual... always out to get them with some big agenda... like they never hear themselves... so glad this hysterical ranting is confined to the LI nuts... "it's the Left"... lmao

Old 02-06-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Seriously lol

More screeching about nothing as usual... always out to get them with some big agenda... like they never hear themselves... so glad this hysterical ranting is confined to the LI nuts... "it's the Left"... lmao

"I'm so upset about what's happening in Hempstead"

Please

Old 02-06-2022, 01:45 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,534,626 times
Quote:
No, see, I don't actually care, but you do. It's call tailoring your message for your audience. What I'm concerned about is the political ramifications for introducing a bunch of new renters to the suburbs. The long term goal isn't a few new houses, it's consolidating control. Again, it's not as if we didn't see how this sort of stuff went in Westchester.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Seriously lol

Crapposting from NJ, gotta love it. Your whole state should be wiped out, hth

Old 02-06-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
No, see, I don't actually care, but you do. It's call tailoring your message for your audience. What I'm concerned about is the political ramifications for introducing a bunch of new renters to the suburbs. The long term goal isn't a few new houses, it's consolidating control. Again, it's not as if we didn't see how this sort of stuff went in Westchester.
Like I said before, legally adding an extra unit is cost-prohibitive for many. I doubt "a bunch of new renters" will be introduced to the suburbs just based on that alone. Now, maybe if I saw the state start to buy homes in Nassau after this law was passed, then I could see your concern. Maybe if you came from that angle I would be a bit more considerate.

As a reminder, you're the one who introduced the lower-income component to the discussion:

Quote:
Some people will rush to do it, absolutely. Professional landlords, for instance. Predominately in lower income areas, so you'll see a bunch of them in places like Westbury, adding more people of questionable citizenship to an already distressed area (and school district).

Old 02-06-2022, 03:26 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,803,003 times
Quote:
Seriously lol

Says the guy posting from NC. I'm sure you would be just thrilled if NC eliminated single family zoning. Do us all a favor and worry about Union County we will worry about our own home expat, thanks.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Crapposting from NJ, gotta love it. Your whole state should be wiped out, hth
Worse than Jersey, he's a blowhard NC expat.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You really think people are going to rush to build additional units on their properties if this law passes? It's very expensive to do so with all the professional fees. Then people have to assess if they can even afford the tax increase. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Also, if this law comes to fruition, it will not automatically legalize any units that have not been filed and permitted with their prospective municipality.
Yup and it won't just be in crap areas like hempstead, NGO's, investment firms like Blackstone etc. will buy up homes and subdivide them wherever they can.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, legally adding an extra unit is cost-prohibitive for many. I doubt "a bunch of new renters" will be introduced to the suburbs just based on that alone. Now, maybe if I saw the state start to buy homes in Nassau after this law was passed, then I could see your concern. Maybe if you came from that angle I would be a bit more considerate.

As a reminder, you're the one who introduced the lower-income component to the discussion:
The way it's written, you don't need to add an extra unit - you can simply rent out your basement. That isn't cost prohibitive. It certainly isn't for professional landlords, who are chomping at the bit to skate around local zoning laws. And... again. We saw what happened in Westchester since they were force fed a foul meal by the Obama administration. We know where this leads. It's all been done before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island