Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 03:20 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Here we go....
Yea, tell me about it! Trying to help people who don't really understand physics and engineering save money on heating can be pretty tiresome and who knows what they'll spend those savings on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 05:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Oil heats the house better than gas, my neighbor has gas and I'm always freezing over there, he always has a heavy sweater on. Oil doesn't explode.
Watts is watts, and BTUs are BTUs...

If your neighbor's home is not being heated properly on gas, fuel source likely isn't issue. More like his boiler needs servicing or adjustment. Boiler was converted from oil to gas but not properly tuned... Things also like if system is steam or hot water and something is wrong with circulation of either and or how system fires, etc....

Boiler should have a BTU rating plate for oil or gas, if it isn't firing at full power, then something is wrong. Or, if it is and house is still chilly something is wrong with piping and or heat emitting units.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:31 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Exaggerate much? A properly maintained system will have none of the service issues you describe. If you smell "stench", you do not have a properly maintained oil system, that's for sure. "Disgusting maintenance", what does that even mean?
I don't exaggerate at all. Every single home I have been in, I can instantly notice they use oil for heat. It stinks!

Old 02-26-2022, 06:34 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I couldn't get my oil burner out of my house fast enough. Lets see, the stench, the black dust, the price fluctuations, the disgusting maintenance...need I go on? Good riddance. Love my quiet as a mouse, tiny and efficient GAS powered Mod-Con. been 4 years, and now have broke even on the cost for upgrade.
Yep! Not to mention having a possible ecological and financial timebomb on your property if you got forbid have a leak.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:00 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times
^^^^ this ^^^^^
A joke, most oil tanks are in the basement or ground floor on concrete . A leak would be terrible and dirty
Now A gas leak is deadly .
Part 2
My neighbors home and Mine are the same SQ. ft. His attached garage is living space, while I have A full dormer.
We used to combine our oil deliveries 100 gal each. With out the Oil truck having to move. "Oil Hot Air"
He converted to gas because tune service said he had a crack in the heat exchanger.. So anyway over 6 Grand later he has GAS hot air. And even after it was inspected [ gas line] . He found 2 pipe leaks.
Cost ??? this was like 3 years ago He hasn't even come close to break even.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:20 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,081 times
Quote:
I don't exaggerate at all. Every single home I have been in, I can instantly notice they use oil for heat. It stinks!
Unless the boiler was just serviced... all your friends homes need major repairs.

I know someone has gas from the hissing sound into the house where the gas enters. If not for that you should not be able to tell easily.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:42 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
^^^^ this ^^^^^
A joke, most oil tanks are in the basement or ground floor on concrete . A leak would be terrible and dirty
Now A gas leak is deadly .
Part 2
My neighbors home and Mine are the same SQ. ft. His attached garage is living space, while I have A full dormer.
We used to combine our oil deliveries 100 gal each. With out the Oil truck having to move. "Oil Hot Air"
He converted to gas because tune service said he had a crack in the heat exchanger.. So anyway over 6 Grand later he has GAS hot air. And even after it was inspected [ gas line] . He found 2 pipe leaks.
Cost ??? this was like 3 years ago He hasn't even come close to break even.
A major oil leak in your basement or yard is a major disaster, the state DEC gets involved and it can cost 10s of thousands to remediate, if enough spills it dosent mean spit if it’s on concret or not. Again a ecological time bomb. I never had a any sort of gas leak and if you do you know it really quick due to the smell. My conversion has paid for itself many times over I still can’t believe how much cheaper and easier gas is. I would never ever buy a house with oil again

Old 02-26-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
A major oil leak in your basement or yard is a major disaster, the state DEC gets involved and it can cost 10s of thousands to remediate, if enough spills it dosent mean spit if it’s on concret or not. Again a ecological time bomb. I never had a any sort of gas leak and if you do you know it really quick due to the smell. My conversion has paid for itself many times over I still can’t believe how much cheaper and easier gas is. I would never ever buy a house with oil again

Imagine a major gas leak in your basement ? I never had a oil leak and you know it really quickly due to sight and smell.

Not buying a house with oil because you don’t want to spend 12k on the conversion is a little extreme no?

Old 02-27-2022, 05:47 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Can't believe all the oli lovers here. Unreal.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Can't believe all the oli lovers here. Unreal.
It’s pretty nice when I pay 2.79 for oil. Keeping the house nice and toasty with my locked In delivery price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island