Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 02:01 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,043,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
It doesn’t appear they were chasing him to another county but went to his home to question him about some undisclosed incident. The guy could be a bad guy for all we know but from the few facts disclosed it doesn’t reflect well on the police. Detectives can’t go and enter your home without an arrest warrant or a search warrant to “interview” you about some earlier incident. They could ring the doorbell and ask to speak with him but do we believe the suspect said come on in?
He could have. Or, he could have been in the house and charged the police and they shot him in the house. Either way, why would you charge at the police with a knife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 04:04 PM

22,730 posts, read 36,958,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
If a plain cloths cops from another jurisdiction come to your home without a warrant, an american citizen has ever right to kill the officer if he enters his home. There was a supreme court case about this not to long ago. The cops are off duty when they leave their jurisdiction
Why do I have the crazy idea that you've completely misread/oversimplified-and-not-in-a-good-way a US Supreme Court decision?

The police can ask anyone they want to talk to them voluntarily anywhere they want. Hell, I can too. So can you. We can all refuse the request too. Magic!

Old 03-20-2022, 04:11 PM

22,730 posts, read 36,958,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
We should be hiring more cops and putting more $$ into law enforcement. For all the $$ we spend to live here in taxes the low crime is the only thing that we get our $$ worth out of. Sure some areas have high crime, even the worst areas on LI have better crime stats than a middle class area of NYC.
I just spent the weekend on LI and I can tell you for sure you're not getting your monies' worth, even if it feels safe. Not gonna go into all the BS I dealt with in a short 48 hours but western Nassau isn't becoming Queens, it IS Queens in the 1970s.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 2,352,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I just spent the weekend on LI and I can tell you for sure you're not getting your monies' worth, even if it feels safe. Not gonna go into all the BS I dealt with in a short 48 hours but western Nassau isn't becoming Queens, it IS Queens in the 1970s.
I don’t live over there, I’m on Nassau Suffolk border where I have wild turkeys and fox’s in my neighborhood. Completely different. Western Nassau was queens when I lived there in 2010.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:30 PM

517 posts, read 1,081,650 times
Everyone in Mayberry (including Broke&30) knows that the Cops will end their pursuit at the county line.

Get real, nassau cops go into suffolk and suffolk cops go into nassau almost every day

Old 03-21-2022, 02:06 PM

3,305 posts, read 2,389,409 times
Quote:
If a plain cloths cops from another jurisdiction come to your home without a warrant, an american citizen has ever right to kill the officer if he enters his home. There was a supreme court case about this not to long ago. The cops are off duty when they leave their jurisdiction
That is absurd. No one can kill anyone in NY State unless the other person is coming at you with a deadly weapon. Anything less and the homeowner is going to jail.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:14 PM

3,305 posts, read 2,389,409 times
Who cares if he was inside, outside or on top of the house. Any idiot who charges the police with a knife deserves to be shot. No innocent or normal person would do that if they weren’t going to be in some serious trouble for something they did.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:51 PM

5,098 posts, read 3,993,688 times
An guy armed with a knife charges cops and is then wounded by gunfire.

As a threshold matter, this doesn’t sound like an overreaction by cops.

But, we’ll see what else emerges from the incident. I’m guessing there is a possible mental health component.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:14 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,054,051 times
Quote:
The cops say they shot the man outside, while eye witnesses say he was shot INSIDE HIS HOME Police shoot suspect inside Long Island home after they say he threatened them with knife. https://abc7ny.com/long-island-polic...y-on/11665779/

ehh...Yeah (sigh)....you can't threaten the Cops with a knife (they don't like that).

The must have been after him for something, being they came from another City to get him.

Just thank Jesus you're not him ~

Old 03-22-2022, 06:30 AM

874 posts, read 732,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post
Broke&30 claims that Nassau cops shot a man "in his own home without a warrant" and that the man "was clearly defending himself against and ILLEGAL entry into a home by a police force out of it's jurisdiction." If those were truly the facts, I might have shared his outrage. But the facts, as reported so far, tell a very different story. Facts matter. "Alternative" versions of the facts don't cut it for me.

According to Suffolk County's press release, "Nassau County Police Department detectives were interviewing a 39-year-old man outside of his residence" when he "charged at and threatened investigators with a knife and was shot by detectives" [https://scpd.suffolkcountyny.gov/pre...r=2022&id=ter]. Until a different credible version of the event comes out, I'm inclined to accept the police reports and assume the police acted properly OUTSIDE of someone's home when facing an imminent threat. It's certainly not a reason to "defund" the police.
According to the cops, this cab driver tried to attack a police officer, and it turns out the cop was drunk and just shot an innocent cab driver. This cost the county 2 million. You can add that to the over 100 million nassau tax payers have paid in lawsuits because of police misconduct. When people say defund the police, they are saying when they do something wrong , take it out of their pension system. These cops will keep their jobs and $100,000 a year pension and just move down south and live tax free while you all scratch your heads wonder why taxes keep going up and there is no relief for homeowners https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ement-ayemk6bh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island