Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Then that would make N.G. 10 times cheaper than oil. I don't think that's correct.
A gallon of heating oil = 139,000 BTUs, or 7.194 gallons of heating oil = mmBTU

So, using yesterday's closing prices for the December futures ($3.0512 per gallon and $3.852 per mmBTU for heating oil and natural gas, respectively), we see that 7.194 gallons of heating oil, equivalent to mmBTU, will cost $21.95 versus $3.85 for a mm BTU of natural gas, making wholesale natural gas prices currently about 5.7 times cheaper than heating oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I have a contract with National Grid for my heat and A/C. I've had two parts fail and they replaced them for free. One of the parts was the zone water pump, which is unrelated to the type of boiler. The other was the fan unit, which failed a month after installation.

Are the high efficiency boilers less reliable? Old boilers were entirely mechanical and were highly reliable but did not optimize performance. New boilers have computers in them and determine output based upon many favors, including outside temperature, inside temperature, etc. Theoretically, the more parts the more change of failure. Even if so, I think it's worth it getting 15% more efficiency. If your gas bill is typically $2,000, a 15% annual savings is $300. For $300 one can buy a service contract (which you should have even on a lower efficiency boiler.)

I'd like to read the the links where you researched this.

MTA i was not talking about the regular high efficiency boilers I was talking about the condensing ones. I have a high efficiency one in my home now. I just did not feel like dealing with the condensing for maybe another 5% efficiency and the trouble.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Can someone who has natural gas look on their bill and tell me what they are charged for a them of nat. gas?

thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Can someone who has natural gas look on their bill and tell me what they are charged for a them of nat. gas?

thanks.
In Oct I paid $53.24 for 25 therms, or $2.13/therm - incl. delivery and taxes.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:11 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I have gas hot water and stove right now and my last bill was $33.00 with national grid. Let's see what the next bill will be after I get the gas boiler for my heat. Last year I paid almost $1,500 to fill my 550 gallon tank. Most of then people in my area with oil have a 250 gal tank.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have gas hot water and stove right now and my last bill was $33.00 with national grid. Let's see what the next bill will be after I get the gas boiler for my heat. Last year I paid almost $1,500 to fill my 550 gallon tank. Most of then people in my area with oil have a 250 gal tank.
My bill last year for gas was about $1,400 to heat a 3,000 Sq. ft. house; provide hot water for 2 adults and 2 children; dry clothes for the family and stove.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
My bill last year for gas was about $1,400 to heat a 3,000 Sq. ft. house; provide hot water for 2 adults and 2 children; dry clothes for the family and stove.
Oh wow, my house is only 840 square feet, 2 bedroom, bathroom, kitchen ,livingroom/diningroom. This does not include the attic or basement. Oh I have an electric dryer that I bought new in 2007 so I am not switching to a gas one.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM

516 posts, read 1,075,992 times
All of the wholesale pricing being quoted is just for the product, you still have to include delevery charges. I am not sure how those charges stack up in an oil VS gas debate but I feel gas is still the winner.

Take advantage of the rebates being offered to convert to gas and you will be further ahead.

On the 80% VS higher boiler, I still like the old stuff. The new condensing boilers are almost computers, who wants to be in the basement at midnight doing the 3 finger salute (CTRL-ALT-DEL) to a boiler when it's 0 outside.LOL Keep it simple

I converted 10 years ago, needed a boiler anyway and have no regrets. Have saved a ton of money, wish there was an alternative to electric so I could save some money there also.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Oh wow, my house is only 840 square feet, 2 bedroom, bathroom, kitchen ,livingroom/diningroom. This does not include the attic or basement. Oh I have an electric dryer that I bought new in 2007 so I am not switching to a gas one.
you should see significant savings. Also, throw another layer of insulation in your attic and you'll save more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
All of the wholesale pricing being quoted is just for the product, you still have to include delevery charges. I am not sure how those charges stack up in an oil VS gas debate but I feel gas is still the winner.
I quoted fully loaded costs in post #187.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
Take advantage of the rebates being offered to convert to gas and you will be further ahead.

On the 80% VS higher boiler, I still like the old stuff. The new condensing boilers are almost computers, who wants to be in the basement at midnight doing the 3 finger salute (CTRL-ALT-DEL) to a boiler when it's 0 outside.LOL Keep it simple

I converted 10 years ago, needed a boiler anyway and have no regrets. Have saved a ton of money, wish there was an alternative to electric so I could save some money there also.
I couldn't disagree more. There is a reason Nat Grid offers incentives for the 80% boilers and not the 95% ones, they sell more gas (and make more money) in the long run on the less efficient ones.

In addition, a condensing 95% boiler will never require chimney cleaning, since they are side-venting.

The computers aren't a problem at all. I've had one since 2009 and two items failed, a water pump and a fan. The computer (which isn't Windows based, and doesn't CNTL-ALT-DEL) is 100% reliable so far and additionally determines heating needs by a multitude of sensors, including one outside to measure outside temp.

In addition, there may be government state an fed tax-credits for the efficient ones.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Well if my math is correct and we compare a 80% AFUE oil boiler to a 80% AFUE gas boiler the gas is cheaper by 30%.

The only variable is that with natural gas there are other gases mixed in with natural gas that bring down the output from 100 k to sometimes 90k. But n.g. is still the winner. Now if I could only get 11 people on my block to convert the gas company would run the main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island