Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 08:19 AM

2,696 posts, read 2,359,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The problem here is that the village has already issued a violation notice. Once they get involved it is difficult to get them to back down, in most cases. At best it will become and adverse possession case, but that would hold up any potential sale unless it were previously legally documented and you were now paying the taxes on the tiny piece of your neighbors land.

It happened to my old neighbor in TNH and he was an attorney. His, non attached garage had a fence behind it on "his property" - maybe 4 feet behind the garage. Turned out that his property line cut in starting a few feet into where the garage was. Turns out the neighbor did not know and had placed the fence on what appeared to be a straight line to the next property. My friends garage was the proper side set back but the fence was encroaching on his property. It held up the sale til the adverse possession could be worked out and plot redrawn.
My wife's aunts house had a 3 inch strip going back 30ft where part of the driveway was and some grass. Driveway was put in around 1940. the strip was on the neighbors property, both homes where sold 6-7x since driveway was built and it was never discovered. Fast forward to 2020, buyer of home survey shows her driveway is on there potential property. They go nuts, aunt says F no she gets a lawyer they say adverse possession. Months go by the buyers bails, the seller gets lucky cause the covid surge gets a new offer for 110k more. New buyer agrees land is her aunt's and they have legally agreement for liability etc. In the end the buyer being a fool probably cost them hundreds of thousands cause this was one the cheapest homes in a very expensive area. This strip was useless as it went further back there was trees and a fence on the sellers property that all would have to be moved to gain the 3 inches, it would of cost 10-12k to remove trees and move fence to gain 30 sq ft in the corner of property that would never be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 08:33 AM

35 posts, read 22,611 times
I bought a house that the neighbors fence is 1 foot on my property, we both signed a letter acknowledging that the fence is 1 foot on my property, and fence is not property line, nor grandfathered in. they have trees and shrubs on their side, so fence can not move over, I just left it as is.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:35 AM

13,069 posts, read 18,263,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
My wife's aunts house had a 3 inch strip going back 30ft where part of the driveway was and some grass. Driveway was put in around 1940. the strip was on the neighbors property, both homes where sold 6-7x since driveway was built and it was never discovered. Fast forward to 2020, buyer of home survey shows her driveway is on there potential property. They go nuts, aunt says F no she gets a lawyer they say adverse possession. Months go by the buyers bails, the seller gets lucky cause the covid surge gets a new offer for 110k more. New buyer agrees land is her aunt's and they have legally agreement for liability etc. In the end the buyer being a fool probably cost them hundreds of thousands cause this was one the cheapest homes in a very expensive area. This strip was useless as it went further back there was trees and a fence on the sellers property that all would have to be moved to gain the 3 inches, it would of cost 10-12k to remove trees and move fence to gain 30 sq ft in the corner of property that would never be used.
Exactly, you proved my point. If you get people that are willing to accept it as it is, and the title company and attorneys are not advising against it that is great but sometimes it end like your wife's aunt's first experience shows.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:48 PM

615 posts, read 453,953 times
You just gave your neighbor a free fence.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:51 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,636,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Exactly, wouldn’t the easiest thing to do is call it his fence now?

Old 04-07-2022, 06:02 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,810,906 times
Give your neighbor a dollar and get a receipt for "their" new fence, as is, where is. All nice and legal now. Not your fence anymore.

This proves the old saying; The most dangerous person in government is a clerk with a form.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:59 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,263,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
The problem is actually two fold. The first is he has a village violation notice to deal with due to no permit. Secondly, he will then be required to remove omit from properly that is not his to build on.

Regardless if this neighbor is ok with it or not, legally it will not fly. While not in the same state now, we have two neighbors who live next door to each other both have side load garages. The layout is the garage on the left house is on the right side of the house and the garage on the right side house is on the left. The two garages are in the middle. Both families agreed that instead if having individual driveways they agreed to have one continuous driveway between both houses to make it easier to get in an out of their individual ygarages . The house on the left uses the right side house driveway entrance to cross into his driveway on the left and the house on the right enters from the left side driveway to get into his garage. They had a legal document drawn up to specify the purpose of the piece of the driveway that would normally have been the area between both houses. It requires that upon sale the new owner must be offered the right to require both original owners to return that middle piece to grass and the sale requirements are such that the remaining owner and the new owner must amend the agreement. We doubt it will ever be returned because it mutually benefits both.

The point is to achieve this it required a legal document. In the case of the fence it might be cheaper to remove the fence after obtaining the proper permit than to go for adverse possession.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:24 AM

35 posts, read 22,611 times
just say your neighbor installed the fence on their side of the property.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:23 AM

3,307 posts, read 2,396,333 times
How could this even happen? Don't you need a survey to install a fence?

Old 04-08-2022, 04:17 PM

41 posts, read 31,685 times
I’m in East Northport, NOT an incorporated village. When my new neighbors bought their house from our old neighbors, a survey showed that the existing fence between us was about a foot onto their property. We had to sign something acknowledging that; they didn’t care, as it seems yours don’t either.
Good luck, it seems you have good neighbors and may be able to smooth this over; I can’t address the village inspector though.
I know this post of mine gives no concrete answer, though it may ease your mind ever so slightly- these things happen all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: