Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 07:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Thanks for suggesting I sign up for Informed Delivery. I’ve got documentation now. First day I had it a week ago last Wednesday it showed a letter and there was no mail that day. It came the next day with other mail. Today (Wednesday again) it showed two letters for today plus a letter that should have arrived yesterday (I got other mail yesterday except for that letter) but there was no mail today. I think three items showing on Informed Delivery that weren’t delivered is enough proof that there was no mail delivered.
I have been using informed delivery since summer 2017, I would say 95% of the time what it shows is delivered that day. On the rare occasion it shows up the next day. Your mail carrier just sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 08:15 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
This is why you don't want socialized health care. You can complain about our current health care system all you want. Imagine US postal level service when you see your health care provider (hint: it will most likely not be an MD when we socialize).
I don't want socialized health care. I just want the same health care all elected officials get to enjoy for life. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:24 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I have been using informed delivery since summer 2017, I would say 95% of the time what it shows is delivered that day. On the rare occasion it shows up the next day. Your mail carrier just sucks.
95% is pretty good and seems reasonable. I believe my mailman skips letter delivery once a week or so. He delivers all packages and items with tracking because people would notice if packages routinely weren’t delivered on the day tracking showed they were out for delivery. I have seen him deliver me a package with tracking and then leave the block without delivering letter mail to anyone on the block. I recently started calling the local post office when these things happen and they deny that letter mail delivery is ever skipped nor do they offer to look into it. So far, 17 days in 18 weeks this year no letter mail was delivered to me and now twice in 7 delivery days I had no mail when Informed Delivery shows I had mail.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:11 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Gee, I think that the Post Office is an amazing institution . For a minimum of money ( I forget
how much 51 cents ? ) , you can send a birthday card to a long lost friend Los Angeles that will get there in
three days. You can receive magazines like The New Yorker or Time every week .
You can send packages to anywhere in the world in a secure box that is provided for you for less than $20.00 .

Your mail comes every day in snow , rain or freezing weather. Right to your door.

I don't recall which ones they are , but I believe that there are only one or two countries in
the world that do not have mail service .

I am pretty old so I have sent and received mail for many decades
and I cannot remember more than two or three times when there has been a problem.
I cannot imagine what we would do without this service.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-06-2022 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-05-2022, 08:31 AM

I agree that the postal service is a good service. My issue is with one employee not delivering letter mail about once a week over a long period. The postmaster called me today and said he spoke with the carrier and if there is any issue going forward to call him directly.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:32 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
No everyone seems to have the same experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Gee, I think that the Post Office is an amazing institution . For a minimum of money ( I forget
how much 51 cents ? ) , you can send a birthday card to a long lost friend Los Angeles that will get there in
Three days from NY to LA? My experience differs greatly. You must be thinking of FedEx. Timing and reliability are two reasons why FedEx and UPS have grown so large.

Quote:
You can send packages to anywhere in the world in a secure box that is provided for you for less than $20.00 .
Their flat rate program is a good value. That's provided the package arrives at it's destination. I have found USPS reliability to be rather poor.

Quote:
Your mail comes every day in snow , rain or freezing weather. Right to your door.
Despite living in a densely populated area with sidewalks, the USPS considers my neighborhood a rural route. This means the carrier will only deliver to a box on the curb (not the door) and will not get out of the car. I have seen them ram the delivery vehicle into snowbanks to make a path rather than take one step out of the car.

While this may sound like determination, it is lazy and causes problems. The carrier will often toss mail at the box, regardless of ability to access form the vehicle. At the sump downwind from me, I often find numerous pieces of unopened mail that were dropped or discarded by the carrier. Just a few weeks ago I found a months-old bank statement mailing of mine, among other mail that was never delivered.

I'm not alone. Other local family members have similar problems with the PO.

Quote:
I don't recall which ones they are , but I believe that there are only one or two countries in

and I cannot remember more than two or three times when there has been a problem.
The PO does provide a needed service. However, like all things where the government is involved, private industry does it much better and more reliably.

There's also the financial consideration. The USPS operates in the red. In 2020 they saw an increase in revenue of $2 billion, but still managed to post a $9.2 billion loss for the year. In 2021, they did better, but still posted a loss of 4.9 billion.

You may pay fifty-something cents to mail a letter or $20 to send a box, but we all end up subsidizing that because they are operating at a loss.

The USPS is a government bureaucracy. That ends up meaning it can never be a well-run, efficient operation. It may be a necessary institution, but it is in serious need of an overhaul (as are most government bureaucracies).

FedEx used to have a slogan "When it absolutely has to be there overnight." Even back then, most of us took that to mean "When it has to be there." I haven't sent anything important by USPS in decades. I cannot trust it to be there.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-06-2022 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-05-2022, 05:06 PM

20,927 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I just shipped something on the 28th of April to CA and it still has not arrived. Last it said on the website was out for delivery and will be to the buyer by 9 pm tonight

Old 05-11-2022, 02:59 PM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

I mailed a card to the Dallas area and it arrived in 3 days. The card's recipient mailed a card to me. It was postmarked April 26th and arrived May 7th

Old 05-12-2022, 05:05 AM

Yesterday I got a piece of mail for someone on the next block with the same house number as mine. For some reason that happens once in awhile with that same house. I don’t like going to a stranger’s house and putting mail in their mail box. With everyone having porch cameras I don’t want to be on video doing something with their mailbox so I called the postmaster and asked him to have someone pick it up and re-deliver it. It was picked up about an hour later.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:27 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Yesterday I got a piece of mail for someone on the next block with the same house number as mine. For some reason that happens once in awhile with that same house. I don’t like going to a stranger’s house and putting mail in their mail box. With everyone having porch cameras I don’t want to be on video doing something with their mailbox so I called the postmaster and asked him to have someone pick it up and re-deliver it. It was picked up about an hour later.
Progress! Was it scanned to your mail? Last week I had a scan for a neighbor but it was delivered properly. I have a great mail lady. The rest of the P.O. is sub par but she is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island