Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 52,128 times

Advertisements

Looking at attending the Belmont on 6/7. Question is--best way to get to JFK after the races. I figure leaving the track at 7:00p. Flight is at 9:30p. I've looked into LIRR and their website said waiting for trains could be 15 min to 2 hours. Has anyone experienced the huge crowd and how bad is it to get out? Also, are there cabs available anywhere in the vicinity? Or will I just sit in traffic? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Take a cab. Its like a 10 min. ride, 9 miles. And traffic "shouldnt" be bad at that time on the Belt Prkwy.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:15 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
What a coincidence. I have a flight at 1030pm after the Belmont. I think the place will be nuts and more traffic than usual because Big Brown is so good.

I'm going to drive to JFK which even with traffic shouldn't take too long.

By the way....never been to the Belmont Stakes. What tips do you have for getting tickets/good spots? Do we have to arrive super early at 11am?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 52,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
What a coincidence. I have a flight at 1030pm after the Belmont. I think the place will be nuts and more traffic than usual because Big Brown is so good.

By the way....never been to the Belmont Stakes. What tips do you have for getting tickets/good spots? Do we have to arrive super early at 11am?
I've been to Belmont Park before but never for the Belmont Stakes. I think if the weather is anything but terrible there might be 120k people. All the seats are sold out (according to nyra website) so getting there as early as possible (gates open at 830a) will be imperative if you want a place to sit. Personally, I don't mind standing for hours and the track is absolutely mammoth in size.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
Arrive at 830? Wow...that's an 11 hour day for 2 minutes of racing. Yikes.

If I arrived at 11am, your saying we'd only get the standing area right there in front? I wonder if we can bring a cooler and just sit on that.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
From what I hear Belmont does NOT allow outside beverages inside the track anymore. They banned it like 2 years ago. Just confirm.

Quote:
Arrive at 830? Wow...that's an 11 hour day for 2 minutes of racing. Yikes.

If I arrived at 11am, your saying we'd only get the standing area right there in front? I wonder if we can bring a cooler and just sit on that.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM

83 posts, read 381,875 times
JFK -> AirTrain -> Jamaica Station
Take the LIRR to Belmont:
http://www.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/BelmontStakes.htm

I take the Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica whenever I fly out to NY (JetBlue from San Diego to JFK). The Airtrain will run you $5 (you can buy the metrocard at the Airtrain terminal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
From what I hear Belmont does NOT allow outside beverages inside the track anymore. They banned it like 2 years ago. Just confirm.

Wow. Having gone to college at Adelphi University in the very early 90's (just down the road) I remember walking into Belmont Park many a time in the late spring/early summer with a small cooler of beer and spending hours betting on horses with some friends. Whoever won treated for dinner that night... and someone always won something. Lot of fun.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default Belmont Stakes Run Down

You will not be able to get a cab after the Belmont Stakes, there will be over 100,000 people there and it will be a traffic cluster-foxtrot. Budget 3 hours to drive the 3 miles from Belmont to JFK. Whoever is planning on driving is in for a bad surprise when they see the traffic on the Cross Island Pkwy. Take it from a Belmont Park railbird. Belmont Park does allow patrons to bring coolers in the back yard and Belmont does allow BYOB, however no alcohol from the outside is allowed on Belmont stakes day.

There is a very smart and easy was to get to JFK from Belmont, you will be at JFK 30 minutes after the Belmont Stakes goes official. Take the LIRR train from Belmont Park station, one stop to Jamaica and then transfer to the AIRTRAIN to JFK. You will avoid all the traffic and move with ease.

Belmont Stakes Train Schedule (broken link)

Belmont Park Event Info

Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default unforgetable day

Quote:

You could miss your flight, the traffic will be wicked. You should take the train from Belmont to JFK. Also coolers are only allowed in the backyard on Belmont Stakes day, no BYOB.

The tickets for grandstand seats are sold out but there are some up for sale at ebay or stubhub. If you can not get a reserved seat you can still go and enjoy the day, as there are unlimited general admissions available at the gate for $10. Belmont Park is so big it almost can not sell out. The race is going to be the event of the year. There is going to be 4 grade I races and 6 graded races on the card, the sporting event of the year with the triple crown on the line.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
I go almost every year to the Belmont Stakes. Don't spend money on an expensive ticket through eBay, etc., just pay the $10 and stand at the race and scream your head off rooting for your horse!!!! There are benches to sit on too (but you won't be able to see much if you are sitting down).

For those of you who have never been to Belmont, the grounds right outside the track are really nice with picnic tables and playground stuff for the kids. Sometimes they have petting zoos and pony rides. You can hang out in the park area and go back and forth to watch the races like I do or if you are only interested in the big race, hang out in the park and go in just for that one.

As for transport to JFK Airport, samyn has it down pat. That's the best way. (Me, I will be sitting in traffic after the race, but oh well at least I don't have a plane to catch!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island