Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 08:46 PM

2,694 posts, read 2,351,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
This is only the very very beginning, yes houses here and in other high demand areas are still selling for good money but it’s not going to last. We are likely headed for recession and even higher interest rates, the over inflated housing market will be first to go.

New housing stock is already dropping

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/05/24/...ices-soar.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/economy/...go?context=amp

An interesting analysis on the most overvalued markets and what areas are likely to get hit the worst (FL looks pretty bad) interestingly enough they have LI and the NY metro UNDERvalued lol

https://fortune.com/2022/06/13/these...sion-hits/amp/
LI and the ny metro is unique. Nothing new built for decades, sure a new 5-30 home subdivisions give up here and there it doesn’t add to the inventory. New builds are mostly tear downs. As long as nyc crime exists and smart Asians and white kids get denied to high schools because “diversity” the desirable areas will be fine. Will prices probably flatline, yes. Will we see 20% drops no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 09:18 PM

1,300 posts, read 581,726 times
I guess you could burn or tear up the check if it upsets you so much.

Personally, I would rather see this money stay in the state and/or local coffers this year, because I just see increased tax levies in our future as a result of the gas tax holiday and no announcement of any programs or services being cut or delayed so far. That loss has to be made up somewhere, and it's going to end up being new taxes or fees

Old 06-15-2022, 05:09 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,801,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
LI and the ny metro is unique. Nothing new built for decades, sure a new 5-30 home subdivisions give up here and there it doesn’t add to the inventory. New builds are mostly tear downs. As long as nyc crime exists and smart Asians and white kids get denied to high schools because “diversity” the desirable areas will be fine. Will prices probably flatline, yes. Will we see 20% drops no.
Agree good analysis. I don’t think this will be a 2008 housing crash but interest rates will certainly deflate the overheated market nationwide and some areas will get hit much harder than others.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/15/mort...en-higher.html

Looks like they may raise .75 intrest rates will be well over 6.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 13,195,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Chase is at 5.875 mortgage rate for 30 year after todays surge. It’s going to get bad real quick. Hopefully after 2 years we can recover.

Home heating oil prices through the roof.
Gas prices through the roof.
Car prices through the roof.
Food prices through the roof.
Crime through the roof.
401k’s and the market dropped through the floor.

Rough winter coming up sadly.
Agree 100%. But we will finally start to see some banking interest rates back into the 4-5% soon. So that kind of helps the pain, just a little.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:16 PM

2,694 posts, read 2,351,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Agree good analysis. I don’t think this will be a 2008 housing crash but interest rates will certainly deflate the overheated market nationwide and some areas will get hit much harder than others.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/15/mort...en-higher.html

Looks like they may raise .75 intrest rates will be well over 6.
There is another factor at play. Just my opinion i think it’s overlooked. We own rentals all where refi in last 2 years to 2.25-2.875 depending if it was 20 or 30 fixed. We would never sell because the loan rates makes the rental way more profitable, this goes for most investors. You are going to get many homeowners that want to maybe trade up but won’t because they have to give up that 2.875% 30 for a 5.5% 30 that eroded there buying power. It will be cheaper to just stay an expand/reno. This will keep inventory low thus keeping prices from falling to much.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:39 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,801,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
There is another factor at play. Just my opinion i think it’s overlooked. We own rentals all where refi in last 2 years to 2.25-2.875 depending if it was 20 or 30 fixed. We would never sell because the loan rates makes the rental way more profitable, this goes for most investors. You are going to get many homeowners that want to maybe trade up but won’t because they have to give up that 2.875% 30 for a 5.5% 30 that eroded there buying power. It will be cheaper to just stay an expand/reno. This will keep inventory low thus keeping prices from falling to much.
5.5%? We are already there. 6 or 7% is more like it soon

Old 06-16-2022, 11:15 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,249,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
I guess you could burn or tear up the check if it upsets you so much.

Personally, I would rather see this money stay in the state and/or local coffers this year, because I just see increased tax levies in our future as a result of the gas tax holiday and no announcement of any programs or services being cut or delayed so far. That loss has to be made up somewhere, and it's going to end up being new taxes or fees
Agreed, let the state keep the money. Obviously an effort to gain votes , as mentioned.
Getting a $190 check on 22k paid in taxes is similar to serving a party of fifteen in a restaurant and receiving a 1% tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island