Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 11,833 times

Advertisements

Hello, my boyfriend and I are looking for a house in the Huntington, NY area.... we are looking at some in the Greenlawn area, and have driven around, but seemed to be getting stares around the Juanita Blvd area, but there are some real nice places around there. We aren't from the area, so I was just curious if someone could share their experience with this particular area. ANY help would be very appreciated for these transplants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "getting stares". The area that you are looking in is locally known as "South Greenlawn" although technically it is in Huntington. It was considered a pretty rough area (and still is by some people) but has made some good progress over the past several years. I agree that there are good value homes in there. By the way, if school districts are important to you, you should note that three school districts intersect in that area: SD 6 (Harborfields), SD 1 (Elwood), and SD 13 (South Huntington). So make sure that the house that you want is in the school district that you want.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 PM

175 posts, read 657,468 times
My first house wasn't too far from there. The area has it's ups and downs. It's pretty centrally located, right by Jericho. And you have the chance to be in a good school district for not a lot of money, relatively speaking. If the school district is important to you, that's probably the only place you can get into Elwood or maybe even Harborfields for under $400k. I agree with Tom that it could be an area with good value. I went "school district first" on my first house and made a killing, though obviously the real estate market was different back then.If you're NOT concerned with school districts, or if what you're looking at is in SD13, I'd be less inclined to go for it. But if it's Elwood or Harborfields could be a good investment with prices being down.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:57 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyominJo View Post
Hello, my boyfriend and I are looking for a house in the Huntington, NY area.... we are looking at some in the Greenlawn area, and have driven around, but seemed to be getting stares around the Juanita Blvd area ...

Might that area be in the Hamlet of Elwood?

For those who may not be familiar with Elwood:

Elwood is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of East Northport; on the east by the Hamlet of East Northport and the Hamlet of Commack; on the south by the Hamlet of Dix Hills; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Greenlawn.

Elwood is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Elwood have a "Huntington, NY 11743", "Greenlawn, NY 11740" "East Northport, NY 11731", "Commack, NY 11725" and "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-24-2008, 09:40 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
No, Walter. It's not Elwood. It's to the west of there.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
No, Walter. It's not Elwood. It's to the west of there.

Tom, are MapsOnUs.com and MapQuest.com providing an incorrect location for "Juanita", or have I miss-specified "Juanita"?

MapsOnUs.com and MapQuest.com both show that "Juanita" in the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone is to the east of where Park Avenue/Deer Park Road crosses The Jericho Turnpike, and runs north for 6 blocks from The Jericho Turnpike, and this, according to the map of the Hamlet of Elwood, is in the southwest corner of the Hamlet of Elwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island