Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2022, 10:40 PM

481 posts, read 665,743 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a district that has a good special Ed for 6th grader and gifted program for 2nd grader. I know it's hard to find. But if anyone has any experience of any, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 08:21 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
What do you consider "good"?

Old 07-11-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What do you consider "good"?
I guess not too cheap about services for special need and have a good program for gifted.

I know it's hard and depends on the services for special need kid. But maybe someone knows either one can share....

Old 07-11-2022, 09:27 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,663,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
I am looking for a district that has a good special Ed for 6th grader and gifted program for 2nd grader. I know it's hard to find. But if anyone has any experience of any, please let me know.
North Shore School District. Focus on your 6th grader who needs special services. Your 2nd grader will do just fine a anywhere.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
If your 2nd grader has an IQ of 130 and above, they won't do "fine" just anywhere. That's what people say when they have no idea how bored a smart kid gets because of the repetition and regimentation designed for average students (average is roughly 90 - 100 IQ). The boredom is deadly, and usually a smart kid will burn out in either the third or fourth grade, become disgusted, and learn to hate school. After all, 6 hours of boredom every day is deadly - even for an adult to bear. Also, the smart kid is usually disqualified by the teacher for class participation, meaning they aren't called on to answer questions. The teacher knows that this smart kid has the answer, and the teacher doesn't bother with them. That's horrifically demoralizing. The typical teacher at the elementary level aims their teaching to the middle of the class, the lower end gets the extra attention sucking up the teacher's energy and time, while the high end is neglected and "survives." The teacher is accountable for all students, and knows they better produce, and so that's why they aim at the average student - they're the majority of the classroom.

Judging the lack of responses here, you need to do your homework and find out which Nassau school districts actually have an enrichment program for smart kids. Usually it is a pullout program where the student is pulled out of the classroom a few times a week to do some learning that isn't the same grueling, mind stultifying busy work in an average classroom. If the program is any good it will entice your 2nd grader to actually think - something they won't do in an average classroom since they already know the year's dumb-downed curriculum.

For Nassau County, check out Herricks SD, Garden City SD, Manhasset SD, and Syosset SD. I think they have gifted and talented programs, and you'll need to do a little research on the internet to find out about them. There are possibly more school districts in Nassau with more programs.

In Suffolk County there are three gifted programs that I can think of (not that you asked for them, but here they are anyway). There's the IG group in Three Village SD. It's two self-contained classrooms per grade for grades 4 - 6 for the entire school year. This is not a pullout program. I believe it's the only one of its kind in public schools on LI. It used to be 3 - 6, but the anti-elitists were angry that their average kids didn't qualify for it, so they pushed to get it reduced to 3 grades. Then there's Long Island School for the Gifted that's located in South Huntington (I think). It's been in existence for years. It's designed for kids who aren't challenged in school, and are at risk for burnout from boredom. A minimum of 130 IQ is needed. Also in Half Hollow Hills there's a pullout program for kids who make the grade.

Keep in mind that testing is done for these programs to see what a child's aptitude is. Not what the parents' wishful thinking is. You'd be surprised about how many parents push to get their kids into these programs, only to find out they're not qualified. School districts use a battery of tests (OLSAT, etc.) that every student takes at the appropriate grade level. All students take these tests. No one is left out. All students have the opportunity to make the grade - or not.

Out of curiosity, is your younger child a rising 2nd grader?? Some of these programs begin in later grades. Also, I don't believe the school districts take outside IQ tests done by private psychologists. The school districts do their own testing.

This is my 2 cents having been down this road with two smart kids who are now adults. What people call "gifted" is really a double-edged sword - it's nice your child is smart and has advantages such as they have the ability to do well in academia with the good possibility of getting into a great college, but they and you will run into some people who are jealous of their abilities (including some teachers), rude, and downright nasty. It all comes with the territory.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by AndreaII; 07-11-2022 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-11-2022, 11:25 PM

12 posts, read 14,458 times
I have 13 y o twins. One has ADHD and the other is gifted. They’ve been to both public and private schools. The gifted one attended LISG for a while and it was great for her. I had to stop taking her there because of the long drive. They will be entering high school in September, and I did a long and exhaustive search of the best school districts and what we could afford. I am looking now looking for a home in Setauket or a nearby city that uses Three Village Schools.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Parts of Centereach, Stony Brook, edges of Lake Grove, and Setauket are in Three Village. But you have to check the school district lines and make sure the residence you're moving to is in the Three Village SD. It ought to be on the real estate tax bill. Or check with the school district. I wouldn't bank on what a realtor has to say even if they think they know. Double check it. What you don't want is a huge mistake.

A friend of mine lived in a neighborhood that was technically in Lake Grove. Her son went to Three Village SD. But just one street over heading south was in the Middle Country SD.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:40 PM

Agree. I am trying to challenge him after school. He is still enjoying school and peers. But I am afraid one day he would be like I don't want to go to school. And honestly, there is just so much math and science I can teach him. BTW He is tested and it's gifted.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 14,458 times
This is an update on my previous post. I bought a house in Setauket and my kids are in the 9th grade at Gelinas (the local school). They both love it! They are doing great in their course work, and they’ve made friends and go to a lot of extra school activities. I’m so glad I made the change.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:05 PM

24 posts, read 109,291 times
Herricks, Bethpage, Levittown, Rockville Centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island