Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2022, 10:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,066 times

Advertisements

My family and I currently live in Brooklyn (and it sucks), and we're determined to move to Long Island. Manhasset is one of the areas that we're interested in, and I'm aware that it does not have a sewer system and homes have either a septic tank or cesspool. In general, should I avoid homes with a septic tank or cesspool? I have no idea of the cost of maintenance/flushing the tank periodically, downsides, etc. Can you please shed some light? If Manhasset doesn't work out, then Great Neck is a second choice of mine since I know homes there are connected to the sewer system and schools are decent.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 06:23 AM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
I wouldn’t avoid it but you should try and understand more about it. It scared me in the Beginning also. Just do a little research and definitely ask about any maintenance or service history. Find out the exact location if you need to access it (sometimes they can be under a driveway which isn’t good).

See if it’s original because the old design they can collapse. Very rare but does happen. And definitely pay the 400 dollars or so to have it inspected while you do the home inspection.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:51 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Dealbreaker for me. I bought a house in Suffolk and it had a cesspool. There was never an issue for the seven years I lived there but the thought of living on top of our own crap bothered me. By the way, it’s the soap from the laundry that will fill it more than human waste, which breaks down eventually

When we lived in Seaford in the 1960s, we only had cesspools and I can still remember my father sticking some long snake in there when it backed up and the smell of sh*t was everywhere. Never want to deal with that. Why the hell in the 21st century are people still living like this on Long Island when the smallest towns of some remote states have a new sewer system. Give me sewers. That’s one property tax that I have no problem paying.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 5,066 times
a follow-up question - based on my research, it sounds like the gated communities at Shelter Rock Rd / South of Strathmore in Manhasset are connected to a public sewer system? Is that right?

Old 07-31-2022, 07:29 PM

79 posts, read 91,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am930 View Post
My family and I currently live in Brooklyn (and it sucks), and we're determined to move to Long Island. Manhasset is one of the areas that we're interested in, and I'm aware that it does not have a sewer system and homes have either a septic tank or cesspool. In general, should I avoid homes with a septic tank or cesspool? I have no idea of the cost of maintenance/flushing the tank periodically, downsides, etc. Can you please shed some light? If Manhasset doesn't work out, then Great Neck is a second choice of mine since I know homes there are connected to the sewer system and schools are decent.

Thanks
Here's some info i just happen to have around
MLWD: Manhasset Lakeville Water District
My last bills:
5/21-9/21 = 54000 gallons (sprinklers) - $91
9/21-1/22 = 30000 gallons $40
1/22-5/22 = 13000 gallons $18

Cesspool service @ 2000 gallons pumped = $500, every 2 or 3 years or so (4 ppl in house) even though I just spoke to a neighbor and she said its her first time having their pool pumped since moving in 7 years ago . I get mine pumped 2-4 years, this year being only 2, maybe from being full time WFH but was usually 3+...

================================================== ==

My rental in Flushing Queens (8 ppl so its a bit on the higher end)
7/21-10/21 $446 ($172 water, $273 wastewater charge)
10/21-1/22 $480 ($188 water, $299 wastewater charge)
1/22-4/22 - $424 ($164 water, $260 wastewater charge)
4/22-7/22 - $630 ($243 water, $386 wastewater charge)

Besides the $$ value, i would not run away from a house without a sewer line hook up. You just need to be aware of when it needs service and you'll be ok though you will have to remember that you cant just flush everything down the can like in the city.

If you ever need the cesspool replaced, it will run about $8-10k in this market but they will last 20+ years.
I've heard that they wont ever do sewer lines here as this way keeps the building density low, no way would you be able to build a multi-fam because of that, but who knows.....

Old 07-31-2022, 07:34 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs8808 View Post
Here's some info i just happen to have around
MLWD: Manhasset Lakeville Water District
My last bills:
5/21-9/21 = 54000 gallons (sprinklers) - $91
9/21-1/22 = 30000 gallons $40
1/22-5/22 = 13000 gallons $18

Cesspool service @ 2000 gallons pumped = $500, every 2 or 3 years or so (4 ppl in house) even though I just spoke to a neighbor and she said its her first time having their pool pumped since moving in 7 years ago . I get mine pumped 2-4 years, this year being only 2, maybe from being full time WFH but was usually 3+...

My rental in Flushing Queens (8 ppl so its a bit on the higher end)
7/21-10/21 $446 ($172 water, $273 wastewater charge)
10/21-1/22 $480 ($188 water, $299 wastewater charge)
1/22-4/22 - $424 ($164 water, $260 wastewater charge)
4/22-7/22 - $630 ($243 water, $386 wastewater charge)

Besides the $$ value, i would not run away from a house without a sewer line hook up. You just need to be aware of when it needs service and you'll be ok though you will have to remember that you cant just flush everything down the can like in the city.

If you ever need the cesspool replaced, it will run about $8-10k in this market but they will last 20+ years.
I've heard that they wont ever do sewer lines here as this way keeps the building density low, no way would you be able to build a multi-fam because of that, but who knows.....
Some people I know haven’t touched it in 20 years. But for the replacement I thought it was almost 20k now with the “initiatives” for nitrogen control.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/septic-s...ong-island.amp

I hope I’m wrong and it changed. But who knows with New York

Old 07-31-2022, 07:50 PM

79 posts, read 91,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Some people I know haven’t touched it in 20 years. But for the replacement I thought it was almost 20k now with the “initiatives” for nitrogen control.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/septic-s...ong-island.amp

I hope I’m wrong and it changed. But who knows with New York
Wow, but to be more precise, it was last year... maybe pricing has gone up even more...
I asked for that quote in fall 2021 when my neighbor (2 rings and cap - a basic set up, 1600 sq ft house) was having theirs done. Our was done in 2009 for $4k also same specs.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:19 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
a friend had one of those new wastewater systems installed at his home when his septic tank collapsed ( a few years ago), trying to do the right thing.
He is still having issues finding competent people who know how to maintain the system. It requires constant maintenance, and the costs are not nominal.
Another thing to consider - it runs off electricity and will increase your bill.
In his words "no good deed goes unpunished".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island