Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
As I own a house in Patchogue, I can see the difference in the village in the 12 years I have owned there.
The summer programs in the village are awesome. Where can you get swimming lessons for children for only $50 for 3 weeks of daily lessons. The eateries are up and coming, more people are walking on the streets.

d
Yes, the townhouses are great. Proposed artist lofts and galleries will beGREAT. And the hotel/condo/retail 9 story development will make the place explode. Great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Well, Hofsta shouldn't really count, let's be honest.

THat's some growth, then, b/c City Data has 2000 est. at 979 people. This means it grew 1418 people in 7 years!! That's more than double.

Still not as much as Uniondale and Hempstead, though.
Is Meadowbrook Pointe open for business yet? That's the only new development I can think of in East Garden City.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Is Meadowbrook Pointe open for business yet? That's the only new development I can think of in East Garden City.
They're still building, but people are in and the clubhouse is done. It looks good.

There's also the mold-infested Archstone apartments that's catty-corner to the development, but no one's there now...until the clean-up is complete.

I heard, also, that Avalon is looking to build some apts and townhouses on some Navy property near NCC, but that's up in the air.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 31,000 times
Bayshore...is looking nice

Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Yes, Bay Shore is coming along nicely. Especially the down town area. When they get the train station project finished up and the water front project done next year its going to be alot nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makb268 View Post
Bayshore...is looking nice

Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I agree. Bayshore is looking good . It is still a shame about the aquarium, though . Can you imagine how great that would have been for the town. I , for one, would have been there all the time. In the aquarium in Riverhead, after hours there are parties and all .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Yes, Bay Shore is coming along nicely. Especially the down town area. When they get the train station project finished up and the water front project done next year its going to be alot nicer.
I think I've heard something about the waterfront...what's being done, exactly?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 PM

148 posts, read 556,967 times
I have to respectfully disagree with the idea that Patchogue is going to rebound too much. I do agree that downtown has been getting cleaned up. The new restaurants are great (especially like Perabell) but......

1) Go 1/4 mile east of the library and not much has changed--Burlington Coat factory is not the anchor to a prosperous downtown
2) I dont think all of these condos are necessarily the answer--the one on Waverly between main street and sunrise looks onto a scenic cellphone tower--the complex just built on River is still unnoccupied as far as i can tell.
2) Patchogue is still very far from the city--there are daily commuters but it is a less than desirable trip ( I know I did it for 2 years).
3) Most importantly with the school budget being rejected it will be hard to attract upscale young families. Why come to Patchogue with all its budget discord?
4) By being tied to Medford the PM school district is much less desirable--if only it was Patchogue-Bluepoint I would be much more hopeful

I understand if people disagree and I am not suggesting Patchogue doesnt have its benefits I just think for the aforementioned reasons the rebound of Patchogue may not be as high as some think

Old 07-03-2008, 05:07 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
GC, there have been no plans released that I have seen about the project. From what I read and heard they are redoing the bay area around the ferry terminals and the park there on the water. They are aiming high, so we will see how it turns out. The downtown and train station project turned out really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I think I've heard something about the waterfront...what's being done, exactly?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with the idea that Patchogue is going to rebound too much. I do agree that downtown has been getting cleaned up. The new restaurants are great (especially like Perabell) but......

1) Go 1/4 mile east of the library and not much has changed--Burlington Coat factory is not the anchor to a prosperous downtown
2) I dont think all of these condos are necessarily the answer--the one on Waverly between main street and sunrise looks onto a scenic cellphone tower--the complex just built on River is still unnoccupied as far as i can tell.
2) Patchogue is still very far from the city--there are daily commuters but it is a less than desirable trip ( I know I did it for 2 years).
3) Most importantly with the school budget being rejected it will be hard to attract upscale young families. Why come to Patchogue with all its budget discord?
4) By being tied to Medford the PM school district is much less desirable--if only it was Patchogue-Bluepoint I would be much more hopeful

I understand if people disagree and I am not suggesting Patchogue doesnt have its benefits I just think for the aforementioned reasons the rebound of Patchogue may not be as high as some think

I guess we are going to have to wait and see. Bayshore's turnaround has been close to what? 20? years in the works. You've given some good reasons why it might not be as successful (ie distance to NYC) but as far as schools go, an infusion of young blood, concerned parents voting for budgets and demanding programs you might have the start of the schools improving as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island