Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 01:51 PM

259 posts, read 176,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
The MTA’s congestion pricing plan could charge most motorists as much as $34.50 more per day for driving into Manhattan — all for the MTA, who can never go bankrupt because of some law..... https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...icing-cb925qny
I can never understand why anyone would want to drive to Manhattan on a daily basis if they could possibly avoid it. Between all the traffic you sit in going to and going home, the cost of parking, etc. Just the thought of having to sit on the Long Island Parking Lot Expressway for 2-3 hours each way makes me shudder. and that commute time is if there are no accidents, and the weather is picture perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 07:16 PM

93 posts, read 43,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
I can never understand why anyone would want to drive to Manhattan on a daily basis if they could possibly avoid it. Between all the traffic you sit in going to and going home, the cost of parking, etc. Just the thought of having to sit on the Long Island Parking Lot Expressway for 2-3 hours each way makes me shudder. and that commute time is if there are no accidents, and the weather is picture perfect.
It really depends on distance, route, and timing. Hell, I started driving from close-by Brooklyn to work in Manhattan at the start of the pandemic and I don't know if I'll ever go back to taking the subway regularly (though I guess this may chance with congestion pricing).

Old 08-12-2022, 01:34 AM

5,122 posts, read 4,003,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
You really think car commuters generally spend 2-3 hours each way on a LI-NYC commute?

Beyond that, it is true that commuting to NYC by rail (after driving/walking/bussing to the LIRR station) can be more convenient for many folks. Even those who have to add a lengthy walk or a NYC subway/bus plus lengthy walk after arriving at Penn Station.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:49 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,554,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
You really think car commuters generally spend 2-3 hours each way on a LI-NYC commute?

Beyond that, it is true that commuting to NYC by rail (after driving/walking/bussing to the LIRR station) can be more convenient for many folks. Even those who have to add a lengthy walk or a NYC subway/bus plus lengthy walk after arriving at Penn Station.
Two hours easy. From LIE exits in the 60’s. Sure, many days 1.5 hours, sometimes 3 HOURS! Could never tell on traffic. So, I took the LIRR.

My LIRR train ride wasn’t much better. However, more time predictable. From Ronkokoma to Bklyn. (To Penn, about the same time frame)
10 min to get to the train station
15 min early to park 3 lots away & walk to platform
1 hour & 20 min ride from Ronk. To Bklyn.
5-10 min WAIT for the subway train
10 min subway ride
10 min walk to office

Well OVER TWO hours! When everything was on time! Which was about 75% of the time. I left my house at 6:30am, walked in my door by 7:50 pm. Again, if everything was on time. There were times I walked in AFTER 9pm

I don’t miss those days! Talk about no life! I wouldn’t do it at DOUBLE the salary! I’d move out of state! I know some have no choice.

Last edited by Spanky25; 08-12-2022 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-12-2022, 07:24 AM

2,481 posts, read 1,256,919 times
Also add scrapping the windshield off in the winter, and hoping you don't get off the train and find your car broken into.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:53 PM

21,008 posts, read 28,615,323 times
Haven't been to Manhattan in 6 years and I don't plan to go there for awhile.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:33 PM

615 posts, read 454,039 times
^^^ I want to be able to say that one day. Good for you, lubby!

Old 08-14-2022, 03:23 PM

104 posts, read 104,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommutinJoe View Post
Same point. Subways are far safer than our roads. Traffic deaths and pedestrians killed by cars far outnumber the handful of subway murders. Don’t be fooled by sensational stories painting the city like it’s the 1970s again. The real threats are drunk drivers, dumb drivers, texting drivers and your regular run of the mill a-hole driver.
You like to compare to 1970s - how about you compare to 2000s/early 2010s when NYC wasn’t overtaken by woke progressives?

Old 08-15-2022, 09:36 PM

185 posts, read 229,872 times
If you drive into Manhattan you’re more psychotic than the bums in Penn

Old 08-17-2022, 03:01 PM

93 posts, read 43,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

My cousin commutes from CSH/Huntington and it regularly takes him almost three hours to get home in the afternoons/evenings, I only know because he complains about it so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island