Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 05:10 PM

36 posts, read 23,367 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I’m trying to DIY blow out my own sprinkler for the first time. But i have no idea where should I connect my preasure line.

I’m adding pictures of my setup underground

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tfcaPH4YJTGYGe2g8

1. I believe the large red valve is the main sprinkler water line, I had it turned off and sprinkler is currently not not working if I turn it on.
2. Black valve if I turn it on water comes out and it never stop and it does not slow down, water pressure is high.
3. The 1 inch metal pipe covered with round metal cover, I have no idea what this is for.

4. Last picture is the sprinkler underground main shut off system currently is in default mode turn on mode.

Any help or advise is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 05:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
The big red valve looks like your whole house water line, called a curb stop. A quick check would be to turn that off then turn on a faucet.
Most houses have a separate shut off valve for the main sprinkler feed. And it’s usually located inside your home after your water meter.

Turn that off then manually open a zone valve and see if water comes out. It should not. If no water now open up your hose bib or whatever you are going to use for the blow out. Connect your compressor, open the zone valve then turn on compressor. Run till all water is out. Close zone valve then go to next one and repeat.

All set ups and systems are a little different. But thats what you do in a nutshell.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:36 PM

36 posts, read 23,367 times
I do have a separate valve for main water line, thats under another box which is locked in a screw.
The sprinkler valve split from outdoor main valve at the front yard, and the shut off I believe should is the red knob. my indoor water still runs even with red valve off.
There’s no other valve inside my house other than emergency shut off that connects to mainline.

Last year i saw the sprinkler guy shut it off from this area and pump it out from here. Im just confuse and not sure if I should connect from the black valve or the 1 inch metal pipe…

Old 10-10-2022, 07:59 PM

20,066 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Looks like a separate curb stop just for sprinklers.
Screw the cap off, put the key in and turn it off.
Open the spigot next to it. There should be no water coming out.
Then just go inside and make sure you actually didn’t shut off the house water.
If that all checks out, you can begin blowing out the system.
Hook your air to that spigot.
You can blow the zones manually with the bleeder screws in the valves, or you can run a shortened cycle with the clock, 3 minutes per zone should do it.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:08 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
Lots of youtube videos on this. Thats how i learned to blowout my sprinklers, and anything diy around the house.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexjin View Post
Hi All,
I’m trying to DIY blow out my own sprinkler for the first time. But i have no idea where should I connect my preasure line.

I’m adding pictures of my setup underground

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tfcaPH4YJTGYGe2g8

1. I believe the large red valve is the main sprinkler water line, I had it turned off and sprinkler is currently not not working if I turn it on.
2. Black valve if I turn it on water comes out and it never stop and it does not slow down, water pressure is high.
3. The 1 inch metal pipe covered with round metal cover, I have no idea what this is for.

4. Last picture is the sprinkler underground main shut off system currently is in default mode turn on mode.

Any help or advise is much appreciated!!
Ridiculous what they charge to blow them out! $70 for 7 zones. I timed it, they were done blowing them out in 8 minutes. Unfortunately, I don’t have an air compressor to do it myself.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:34 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
why are you doing this?
Is this for the coming possible freeze?
ARENT they safe since it is under ground?

Old 10-11-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Ridiculous what they charge to blow them out! $70 for 7 zones. I timed it, they were done blowing them out in 8 minutes. Unfortunately, I don’t have an air compressor to do it myself.

Harbor freight sells cheap air compressors. Get one and do it yourself.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:12 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
My guy in North NJ is like $150 IIRC. I turn them on every year, but still have him shut them off. And he always finds one or two heads to replace. This thread is my motivation to do it myself this year.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
why are you doing this?
Is this for the coming possible freeze?
ARENT they safe since it is under ground?

Its not deep enough to avoid freezing.
When I first moved to LI, I never blew out my sprinkler for the 1st few years and they seemed fine.
But since its easy to do and I have an air compressor, I do it just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island