Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 04:40 PM

259 posts, read 174,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Congrats, you are getting about $150 less than the maximum benefit at age 62. Most people aren’t getting anything close to the maximum benefit. The threshold for taxing Social Security benefits is pretty low. Florida may have no income tax but SS is subject to federal taxes.
And good luck trying to find a quality bagel, or decent pizza in Florida too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 12:02 AM

450 posts, read 387,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
SS shouldn’t be taxed. Period.

On another note I feel that 8% is not even enough to cover inflation which is being hushed. I feel it’s up way more than that. Look how much everything is up here on LI.
So what retirees receive, is that after tax or do they have to file taxes and pay it based on their "income" which is their retirement income?

Old 10-19-2022, 08:43 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,240,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
So what retirees receive, is that after tax or do they have to file taxes and pay it based on their "income" which is their retirement income?
when you claim SS, you can elect to have fed tax withheld from your monthly payment.
Either 7,10,12 or 22 percent.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:50 AM

20,102 posts, read 20,910,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
That is such a fallacy. It’s like the old stigma that upstate ny still doesn’t have running water or internet.
There are countless numbers of NY’ers that moved to FL and opened Pizza shops and bagel shops.
I go back and forth frequently for family and notice no difference in the quality or consistency in FL. There’s great stuff there and terrible stuff there. And there’s absolutely garbage pizza and bagels in NY. The quality is all over the place. It’s just such a bogus myth that the only place in the world you can get good pizza or bagels is LI/NYC.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:38 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,097,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
when you claim SS, you can elect to have fed tax withheld from your monthly payment.
Either 7,10,12 or 22 percent.
You can also pay quarterly estimated taxes instead of having tax withheld monthly.

https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...-some-guidance

Old 10-20-2022, 07:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
or Donald .
NY state doesn't tax social security benefits either (yet) , and the first $20,000 of pension payments are NYS tax free. (NYSTRS pensions completely tax free from NYS tax I believe)
There were no deductions. Really don’t follow. Too busy fishing or hitting the little white ball into the woods, water or trap. It’s just another monthly deposit into the credit union.

Old 10-20-2022, 10:24 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,544,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That is such a fallacy. It’s like the old stigma that upstate ny still doesn’t have running water or internet.
There are countless numbers of NY’ers that moved to FL and opened Pizza shops and bagel shops.
I go back and forth frequently for family and notice no difference in the quality or consistency in FL. There’s great stuff there and terrible stuff there. And there’s absolutely garbage pizza and bagels in NY. The quality is all over the place. It’s just such a bogus myth that the only place in the world you can get good pizza or bagels is LI/NYC.

I was in a FL suburb looking at real estate, and the restaurants there were far superior to the mediocre overpriced restaurants that is typical for LI (especially the crap here in the North Shore).

Old 10-20-2022, 03:36 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,097,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
There were no deductions. Really don’t follow. Too busy fishing or hitting the little white ball into the woods, water or trap. It’s just another monthly deposit into the credit union.
Social Security doesn’t withhold tax unless you request it. Up to 85% of Social Security benefits are taxable by the IRS starting at an income of $32,000 for a married couple filing jointly. If you are getting $50,000 in Social Security plus a large teacher’s pension and no taxes were withheld you will owe federal income tax and if you owe more than $1,000 you will also have to pay a penalty.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...-ss-taxed.html

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...di-is-taxable/

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...estimated-tax/

Old 10-20-2022, 04:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Social Security doesn’t withhold tax unless you request it. Up to 85% of Social Security benefits are taxable by the IRS starting at an income of $32,000 for a married couple filing jointly. If you are getting $50,000 in Social Security plus a large teacher’s pension and no taxes were withheld you will owe federal income tax and if you owe more than $1,000 you will also have to pay a penalty.

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...-ss-taxed.html

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...di-is-taxable/

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...estimated-tax/

I asked the wife and she just shook her head and said “I took care of it.” So I guess I’ll continue to fish.

As for that pizza and bagel comment. Nonsense. We have no problem getting great pizza and bagels. It’s semolina bread we don’t get. Non-existent.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:20 AM

690 posts, read 586,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
A LOT of LI'ers could afford to go without bagels and pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island