Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times

Advertisements

We don't want to be in Suffolk because of the commute. I'm from Smithtown and commuted to Manhattan for student teaching last year--I hated the commute. Wouldn't be able to do it for very long.

We're in touch with a real estate agent and they said a co-op would be better for our budget. Said with our price range, it only allows us to buy in a high crime area or a house that needs tons of fixing. Not really sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,226 times
It is a tough situation. If you can afford to update a home, I would go for the home. Many handyman specials are more outdated, but livable. If you can live with a 1950's kitchen, bathroom, and much cosmetic repair work, it may be worth the house. You can always update as you get more money and your income rises. I would definately avoid any homes with termites or structural issues.

My friend bought a Levit home in Wantagh, Levittown School district. Her kitchen still is orginal (stove and eveything). It was a fixer. She's been there over 3 years and she has fixed each room up little by little. Now it looks really nice. Her retro kitchen is functional and eventaully she will replace that too.

I guess you need to think what you are willing to sacrifice. A fixer may be worth it if the other choice is a co-op. You just take it one room at a time.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
My friend bought a Levit home in Wantagh, Levittown School district.
I think that should be, "My friend bought a Levit home in North Wantagh ("Wantagh, NY 11793" mailing address), Levittown Union Free School District".

Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I think that should be, "My friend bought a Levit home in North Wantagh ("Wantagh, NY 11793" mailing address), Levittown Union Free School District".

I understand the technicalities and I appreciate it, but I am simply using layman's terms that most people would recognize it by. I don't want to get into details and confuse people when that was such a minor comment in my post.

(Technically it is the hamlet of Levittown with a Wantagh zip code.)

Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I understand the technicalities and I appreciate it, but I am simply using layman's terms that most people would recognize it by. I don't want to get into details and confuse people when that was such a minor comment in my post.
If this was a social chat board, you would be correct, but as this is a real estate board, then it is very important to specify the correct name of the community (city. village or hamlet) where a place being discussed is located.

Quote:
(Technically it is the hamlet of Levittown with a Wantagh zip code.)
That depends, of course, on the exact location: while a small area in the south part of the Hamlet of Levittown has a "Wantagh, NY 11793" mailing address, most of the Hamlet of North Wantagh has a "Wantagh, NY 11793" mailing address (while the approximately east-quarter of the Hamlet of North Wantagh has a "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address).

Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM

[quote=Walter Greenspan;4745197]If this was a social chat board, you would be correct, but as this is a real estate board, then it is very important to specify the correct name of the community (city. village or hamlet) where a place being discussed is located.

Keep in mind, most people refer to areas by their postal zip code. To do otherwise, may confuse people. I did not give an incorrect response, I just didn't go into extreme detail. My friend has a Wantagh zip code withing the Levittown school district. I don't see a need to elaborate when discussing levitt homes in reference to handyman specials. If this were a discussion of maps and geography, then you have a point. Perhaps this has gone a bit off topic.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind, most people refer to areas by their postal zip code.

Unfortunately, that is true.

But, when the problem of non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones leads to a situation where the majority of places have a different community name in their mailing address than the community (city, village or hamlet) where that place is actually located, it is, in my opinion, and the opinion of others that also post at this real estate forum, critically important for a real estate forum board to help people understand that the odds suggest that any specific property is NOT in the community named in that place's mailing address, and we can do this by providing the correct name of the city, village or hamlet where any specific property is located. To do less, will only continue the existing geographic confusions.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
Exclamation Home in Levittown

My wife and I are interested in buying a hame that we have seen in levittown. Asit is very affordable,we are concerend as we have heard that levittown schools are very bad. Please advise if this is correct because searching online it seems like a great school. Thank you .

Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcastro05 View Post
My wife and I are interested in buying a hame that we have seen in levittown. Asit is very affordable,we are concerend as we have heard that levittown schools are very bad. Please advise if this is correct because searching online it seems like a great school. Thank you .

The Levittown schools are actually very good. Look at the Newsday school report card just posted this week in Newsday. Island Trees and Macarthur all have over 90% passing in each category and are on par with some of the best districts in nassau. Division High is a little lower, but still good. One of the reasons I bought in Levittown is because of the affordable homes and nice schools. As a high school teacher myself and a resident of Levittown, I have not seen any evidence of the schools being "bad" at all. I am actually quite impressed with them. They are also very safe.

(They did have a bad rap in the 1980's, but that was over 20 years ago.) The area has changed much for the better since then.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:49 PM

123 posts, read 647,421 times
I'm not really sure why Levittown Schools get a bad rap. The scores are very comparable to other communities in the area. I've lived in Levittown for 6 years and my son will be starting Kindergarten at East Broadway in the fall, and I'm very pleased with the school. Very active PTA who do a ton of special events, character building programs, excellent Special Ed (district wide). Any program/service you might want want. I am keeping an eye on the HS level, but you'll find some bad apples anywhere.

I will say go for Salk/MacArthur area or Island Trees (which is actually is it's own school district). Because universally, people tell me that it's better than Division. Even people whose kids go or will be going there. Focus your search to the east and south of Hempstead Tpke.

l think a lot of people are going off of outdated info and impressions. If you've got little ones, there's so much to do here if you take advantage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island