Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
 
92 posts, read 432,835 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
The only place you can park with a Town of Hempstead parking sticker is either Wantagh or Seaford. Hicksville and Bethpage require Town Oyster Bay parking stickers which you can't get if you live in Levittown.

Both stations are good... plenty of parking at both.
Newsday's top Nassau districts for 2009: Jericho (67.0); 2. Great Neck South (66.7); 3. Miller-Great Neck North (61.5); 4. Manhasset (60.8); 5. Roslyn (60.8); 6. The Wheatley School (54.0); 7. Syosset (50.2); 8. Garden City (50.0); 9. John F. Kennedy (Bellmore-Merrick schools; 49.0); 10. North Shore (47.2)

Don't see Levittown ranked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Reputation: 68278
Because it attracts a certain white crowd.
Because they burned books. (1970s)
Because Levitt would not let black people move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM
 
69 posts, read 439,120 times
Reputation: 28
I just moved into a levitt house and a lot of flaws were already addressed.

1. The boiler was moved into the garage by contractor, who I got it from. But also most my neighborhood the boiler seats in garage areas. I still can't picture that loud boiler seating in the middle of kitchen.
2. The fireplace which took ton of room first and second floor has been removed. And no one seems to use it in my neighborhood (those who have it).
3. Most windows were enlarged and replaced, a bay window was installed too in the kitchen. So the only thing was left for me to do is replace few windows to vinyll windows.
4. Insulation is a problem here, as its mostly not insulated properly, very poorly. I am getting thousands of pounds of cellulose pumped into this house on Monday. And getting an attic fan installed in the spring time.
5. The original electrical line was 100AMP this was upgraded sometime ago to 150 AMP. Also the guy ran 220 volt lines for air condioner and washing machine. (Thank you previous owner)
6. Most of the lines coming out of main line were replaced by plastic, so very little copper is left in the house other than the baseboards. Which I will have to address.
7. Underground oil tank was abandoned, now I got a new above ground one backyard.

So there are a lot of problems but over time if the owner is willing to maintain the house, it will be up to date and code. But people are cheap and will have these issues....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
 
324 posts, read 335,123 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Because it attracts a certain white crowd.
Because they burned books. (1970s)
Because Levitt would not let black people move in.
Wow yet another offensive post out of you. The white crowd? I have family in Levittown and they aren't white. Explain that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Reputation: 17269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Wow yet another offensive post out of you. The white crowd? I have family in Levittown and they aren't white. Explain that.

You are correct Levittown is 0.1% black......90% white 7.7% Asian and 5.7 Hispanic or Latino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 PM
 
324 posts, read 335,123 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
You are correct Levittown is 0.1% black......90% white 7.7% Asian and 5.7 Hispanic or Latino
Get your facts straight

from city-data website:
  • White alone - 44,686 (81.9%)
  • Hispanic - 6,270 (11.5%)
  • Asian alone - 2,646 (4.9%)
  • Other race alone - 309 (0.6%)
  • Two or more races - 316 (0.6%)
  • Black alone - 294 (0.5%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 18 (0.03%)


Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Levitt...#ixzz1CwxqBygZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Reputation: 17269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Get your facts straight

from city-data website:
  • White alone - 44,686 (81.9%)
  • Hispanic - 6,270 (11.5%)
  • Asian alone - 2,646 (4.9%)
  • Other race alone - 309 (0.6%)
  • Two or more races - 316 (0.6%)
  • Black alone - 294 (0.5%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 18 (0.03%)


Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Levitt...#ixzz1CwxqBygZ
Sorry AB I was using the U.S.Census info not the City-data info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM
 
324 posts, read 335,123 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Sorry AB I was using the U.S.Census info not the City-data info
Census from 2000? No surprise that it's not correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Reputation: 17269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Census from 2000? No surprise that it's not correct.
As of the U.S. Census Estimate of 2008, there are 53,067 people, 17,207 households, and 14,109 families residing in the community. The population density is 7,717.5 per square mile (2,978.1/km²). There are 17,447 housing units at an average density of 2,531.9/sq mi (977.0/km²). The racial makeup of the area is 89.9% White, 0.1% African American, 0.07% Native American, 7.6% Asian, and 5.7% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.


Yours is probably more accurate but the 2010's will be out soon. So that will tell an even more accurate number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 PM
 
324 posts, read 335,123 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
As of the U.S. Census Estimate of 2008, there are 53,067 people, 17,207 households, and 14,109 families residing in the community. The population density is 7,717.5 per square mile (2,978.1/km²). There are 17,447 housing units at an average density of 2,531.9/sq mi (977.0/km²). The racial makeup of the area is 89.9% White, 0.1% African American, 0.07% Native American, 7.6% Asian, and 5.7% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.


Yours is probably more accurate but the 2010's will be out soon. So that will tell an even more accurate number
Census estimate's are nothing more than estimates - but please post a link because I haven't see the 2008 estimate only the 2006 estimate.

And if you paid some attention you'd see sheena's post was completely out of touch with the topic of the thread. Levittown attracting "the white crowd" has nothing to do with why the homes are cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top