Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 7,993 times

Advertisements

I am not very well versed with LI or Nassau county and thinking of buying a home there. Couple of things that are important to us:

1) Really good school districts(eg. Great Neck)
2) Commute to city couple of times a week so no more than an hour each way

I am starting my search there and someone who can start with giving us a lay of the land and show few houses patiently would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 02:01 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
IF you are talking about door to door one hour commute, I suggest that you consider Queens and forget LI.

Old 01-13-2023, 07:42 AM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
IF you are talking about door to door one hour commute, I suggest that you consider Queens and forget LI.
Why do people say this?

The 744 AM train from Manhasset gets you to Penn Station in under 30 minutes. Depending on where you work in Manhattan and live in Manhasset its certainly doable in under 1 hour door to door. There are other places similar as well.

OP is looking at Great Neck which is even closer. Port Wash line is excellent for commuting as it avoids the Jamaica bottleneck.

The key is having your office location within walking distance of Penn or Grand Central (when it finally opens). That subway ride adds time and you get the added bonus of seeing all of what's wrong with NYC in real time.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:07 AM

732 posts, read 882,614 times
We need a budget. If your budget is 600k or less, forget the less than 1 hour commute to the city.

Around 1m and higher, Garden City, East Williston, Great Neck, Manhasset, Roslyn school districts are good and have their own LIRR station and take less than 1 hour to get to the city.

Make sure the homes are zoned to the correct school districts cause some of them are not. Hence the lower price of the home.

Herricks, Syosset, Plainview-old Bethpage are great schools but they may take longer than an hour to the Penn.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:33 AM

36 posts, read 23,255 times
Quote:
eh I used to live in Whitestone, door to door would take over 1 hour and 30mins

compare now in Jericho, door to door only 1 hour from Hicksville station to hudson yard.

to OP
we cant make proper suggestion without knowing your budget and ideal commute time. but simply put most top school district in LI are easily over 1M.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:46 AM

12 posts, read 7,993 times
Hi there, sorry missed out the post with budget. My budget is 1.2M and open to Manhasset, Great neck and more places as i learn about them

Old 01-17-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Why do people say this?

The 744 AM train from Manhasset gets you to Penn Station in under 30 minutes. Depending on where you work in Manhattan and live in Manhasset its certainly doable in under 1 hour door to door. There are other places similar as well.

OP is looking at Great Neck which is even closer. Port Wash line is excellent for commuting as it avoids the Jamaica bottleneck.

The key is having your office location within walking distance of Penn or Grand Central (when it finally opens). That subway ride adds time and you get the added bonus of seeing all of what's wrong with NYC in real time.
I may be the only one but if I have to drive to a station to get to the train, I consider that part of my commute. I was a 2 minute walk away, but often times parking becomes an issue too. I commuted on the Oyster bay line for almost 30 years, unless the onetime performance has really increased dramatically across the entire LIRR fleet, most lines come in between 92% - 95%. If, that is ok then we are using a different set of parameters.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Commute time should be figured from when you leave your house and when you step inside the office or work site. That’s real time.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:54 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
I may be the only one but if I have to drive to a station to get to the train, I consider that part of my commute. I was a 2 minute walk away, but often times parking becomes an issue too. I commuted on the Oyster bay line for almost 30 years, unless the onetime performance has really increased dramatically across the entire LIRR fleet, most lines come in between 92% - 95%. If, that is ok then we are using a different set of parameters.
Understand.
The Oyster Bay line is notoriously slow, has infrequent service and most of the branch is not electrified so your perspective is 100% spot-on.

Commuters towards the western end of the Oyster Bay branch often use Mineola and towards the eastern end of the branch use Hicksville which benefits from frequent/express services on the Main Line.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Understand.
The Oyster Bay line is notoriously slow, has infrequent service and most of the branch is not electrified so your perspective is 100% spot-on.

Commuters towards the western end of the Oyster Bay branch often use Mineola and towards the eastern end of the branch use Hicksville which benefits from frequent/express services on the Main Line.
The on time performance is defined as a train that arrives up to 5:59 at the station. I also commuted from RVC for a while and there were still a lot of delays. This was a long time ago however and hopefully the delays have been improved upon. That said unless you work within walking distance of Penn or Atlantic Ave. I would consider that likelihood of delays making the hour commute difficult to sustain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island