Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2023, 05:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,081 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-...ion-report.amp

“NBA superstar Stephen Curry, who publicly endorsed Joe Biden for president in 2020, is opposing a "low-income" housing development near his $30 million mansion, according to a local news report.

"We hesitate to add to the 'not in our backyard' (literally) rhetoric, but we wanted to send a note before today's meeting. Safety and privacy for us and our kids continues to be our top priority and one of the biggest reasons we chose Atherton as home," Steph and his wife, Ayesha Curry, wrote in a letter to officials in Atherton.

It was an attempt by Steph Curry, who was the fifth highest-paid athlete in the world last year, according to Forbes, to prevent undesirables from crowding the area around his home in Atherton, California.
The Curry family also petitioned the local government to build fencing and shrubbery around their home to protect the family from watchful eyes if they couldn’t block the new families from joining the neighborhood entirely. “

They literally said not in our back yard. You can’t make it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 06:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^ Wow, shocking. Lol.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:35 PM

855 posts, read 451,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-...ion-report.amp

“NBA superstar Stephen Curry, who publicly endorsed Joe Biden for president in 2020, is opposing a "low-income" housing development near his $30 million mansion, according to a local news report.

"We hesitate to add to the 'not in our backyard' (literally) rhetoric, but we wanted to send a note before today's meeting. Safety and privacy for us and our kids continues to be our top priority and one of the biggest reasons we chose Atherton as home," Steph and his wife, Ayesha Curry, wrote in a letter to officials in Atherton.

It was an attempt by Steph Curry, who was the fifth highest-paid athlete in the world last year, according to Forbes, to prevent undesirables from crowding the area around his home in Atherton, California.
The Curry family also petitioned the local government to build fencing and shrubbery around their home to protect the family from watchful eyes if they couldn’t block the new families from joining the neighborhood entirely. “

They literally said not in our back yard. You can’t make it up
Typical liberal LMAO.

Follow what I say, not what I do.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:47 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
I for one don't. But even if I did, I wouldn't advocate doing it by cramming multi-family dwellings into existing locations. If we need more housing, why not take some initiative to re-develop troubled areas like Hempstead, Wyandanch, etc. to make them safer and more livable so that working class families can realistically move in. I'll tell you why - those areas already vote blue, there's nothing to be gained by Democrats in trying to change the demographic balance or punish Republican voters.

It also follows a long-standing pet project of the left, which is to force "integration", based on the mystical belief that by putting rich people next to poor people, black people next to white people, etc., both sides will benefit. 100+ years of social experiments in this department haven't yielded any positive results, but they love to keep trying!
It looks like Wyandanch has been developing housing, which has been mentioned many times on here. I think the thing is that there is an issue of concentration of housing in certain communities and in turn, take on the burden of multi family housing.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:11 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote from the Newsday Editorial board today. Completely shocking as I thought they’d be cheering this to the heavens.

“Hochul said Wednesday her housing plans are "all about liberating Long Island to be the best it can be," but the governor shouldn't be trying to "liberate" Long Island. We are under siege only by those making irrational demands to change suburban life. She should instead be willing to work with Long Island leaders to find solutions to the housing crisis that will help the region, without doing unintended harm.“

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/edit...using-ijy7ye2r

Old 02-02-2023, 10:46 AM

186 posts, read 67,598 times
Relevant article:
https://rpa.org/latest/news-release/new-york-neighbors

Old 02-02-2023, 01:45 PM

427 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like Wyandanch has been developing housing, which has been mentioned many times on here. I think the thing is that there is an issue of concentration of housing in certain communities and in turn, take on the burden of multi family housing.
Yes, that is an issue for the leftist utopians. It certainly isn't an issue for the residents, who, if they had valued such things as nearby multi-family housing, would not have moved into low-density areas. But who cares what they think, right? It doesn't matter that the city has spent the last decade allowing developers to build billions of dollars worth of ultra-luxury apartment buildings with over 100 floors and only 200 units, half of which are vacant because they're owned by an LLC of Chinese nationals speculating in real estate. No, we need to cram more people into working/middle class suburbs.

While on this soapbox, I'll toss another assertion into the mix: This has nothing to do with "sharing the burden" as an issue of fairness per se, it's a way of punishing suburbanites, who have long been a thorn in the side of the leftist agenda. Either you get on board with voting blue in perpetuity, or you get a nice six-family house filled 10-to-the unit with illegal aliens next door. Which one is it, Trumper? I simply have no faith that the decision makers on the left are doing things like this out of anything other than sheer animosity. They think people not on their team are evil, and don't really care what happens to them.

Old 02-06-2023, 05:30 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Yes, that is an issue for the leftist utopians. It certainly isn't an issue for the residents, who, if they had valued such things as nearby multi-family housing, would not have moved into low-density areas. But who cares what they think, right? It doesn't matter that the city has spent the last decade allowing developers to build billions of dollars worth of ultra-luxury apartment buildings with over 100 floors and only 200 units, half of which are vacant because they're owned by an LLC of Chinese nationals speculating in real estate. No, we need to cram more people into working/middle class suburbs.

While on this soapbox, I'll toss another assertion into the mix: This has nothing to do with "sharing the burden" as an issue of fairness per se, it's a way of punishing suburbanites, who have long been a thorn in the side of the leftist agenda. Either you get on board with voting blue in perpetuity, or you get a nice six-family house filled 10-to-the unit with illegal aliens next door. Which one is it, Trumper? I simply have no faith that the decision makers on the left are doing things like this out of anything other than sheer animosity. They think people not on their team are evil, and don't really care what happens to them.
Very well stated!!

Old 02-06-2023, 07:24 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Spot on Powell on Property.

“You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Powell again”.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:33 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This interview actually gets into aspects that doesn't have anything to do with "leftists" or any political leaning, but other factors that come into play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HtSaPr6BKo

Again, I think this will be a thing for select communities that have the space and rail access in terms of Long Island and wouldn't be a thing in all communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island