Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 10:33 PM

1,482 posts, read 770,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Thanks, wow that's horrible the neighbors complained? But you never know what OP there did as well, who knows.
It's a full blown shed, wood shed with sidings, roof, even planters on little windows..
Talk to your neighbors and see if they had town inspectors and see how it went. Will you ever do work that needs the town involved beside this ? Extension or in ground pool or gas conversion etc ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 10:48 PM

450 posts, read 388,553 times
I think when it comes to serious issues like in ground pool, permit is a must. That's a serious thing you can't just rip up and get rid of easily, like the shed for example, although I am not sure what's the savings by not telling town you just put a shed in, unless there are other major things like you mentioned.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:11 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,172,477 times
The way things are now, if you put a screw in the wall inside your house you need a permit. I won't go into the entire story all over again as it was so long ago and has been posted over and over again, but, we tried to put a fence up in our yard to match one the neighbor put up and wound up with a 1/2 year project to legalized an a/c, that not only was there when we bought, but also there and on submitted survey when we did an addition and it passes with flying colors several years earlier.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:35 AM

67 posts, read 62,076 times
Having just done this back in september 2021, there were no permits to be filed. The driveway couldn't cover more than 30% or so of my front property. NOTE: i do not have an apron at the end of my driveway, so this mightve played a part in not needing permits pulled but im not sure of that being a fact or not.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSSVERD View Post
Having just done this back in september 2021, there were no permits to be filed. The driveway couldn't cover more than 30% or so of my front property. NOTE: i do not have an apron at the end of my driveway, so this mightve played a part in not needing permits pulled but im not sure of that being a fact or not.
Thanks, I was considering apron and honestly it looks really good, but I don't have one either, just the sidewalk concrete. I didn't know if you needed permits to put pavers apron or not but I was not considering expanding it on the sidewalk side. So I would not touch the sidewalk but instead just indent it outwards few yards after my driveway begins, this way I can easily park 2 cars side by side closer to my garage. I wonder if that makes any difference.

I really need to locate my cesspool, though to make sure I don't attempt to drive over it. Not even sure where to begin to do that, I guess it would involve digging yard.. Big job.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:11 AM

783 posts, read 1,426,917 times
You need a permit if you want to widen your apron from a single to a double. If you have good neighbors, just get it done when you redo your driveway. IMHO, a paver apron doesn't look nice. I would stick with a concrete apron.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:53 AM

412 posts, read 291,155 times
What is involved is the following...

You widen the driveway to right up against the property line.

Then you put your garbage beside your driveway, infront of your neighbors property.

This is what my classy neighbors did.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
You need a permit if you want to widen your apron from a single to a double. If you have good neighbors, just get it done when you redo your driveway. IMHO, a paver apron doesn't look nice. I would stick with a concrete apron.

I already have 2 car entrance (apron?) but it's really narrow especially with some trees and the bushes on one side and wall type of planter. So my idea is to keep the entry untouched for about 4-6 feet, then widen it by another 4-6 feet, either gradually or by making a curved indentation. This way cars can part closer to property next to each other, but if one needs to get out, it can get out easily. My driveway is bordered on both sides by cobble stones, so hopefully it could be an easy transition.

When you say when you redo your driveway, do you mean resurfacing/sealing? I noticed two doors down had an OK condition driveway but they came and looked liked they just painted over it, is that what you mean by redo? Is that something everyone does every year, was I supposed to do it? I don't have any cracks on my asphalt driveway.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:39 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,131,264 times
Quote:

I really need to locate my cesspool, though to make sure I don't attempt to drive over it. Not even sure where to begin to do that, I guess it would involve digging yard.. Big job.
I had a general sense where my cesspool is, but was able to actually find the exact location on Google Earth.
There, you can view your house and slide the date bar over to view it up until the late 90's. So if your cesspool was ever replaced in that time frame, you would be able to see the new grass outline.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:16 AM

783 posts, read 1,426,917 times
Quote:
I already have 2 car entrance (apron?) but it's really narrow especially with some trees and the bushes on one side and wall type of planter. So my idea is to keep the entry untouched for about 4-6 feet, then widen it by another 4-6 feet, either gradually or by making a curved indentation. This way cars can part closer to property next to each other, but if one needs to get out, it can get out easily. My driveway is bordered on both sides by cobble stones, so hopefully it could be an easy transition.

When you say when you redo your driveway, do you mean resurfacing/sealing? I noticed two doors down had an OK condition driveway but they came and looked liked they just painted over it, is that what you mean by redo? Is that something everyone does every year, was I supposed to do it? I don't have any cracks on my asphalt driveway.
A single car apron is usually 6-9 feet wide and a double car apron is 20-24 feet wide.
when I purchased my home, I had a single car concrete driveway with a single car apron. When I redid my driveway I installed pavers. I told my paver guy, widen my driveway to be a 2 car driveway and also widen the apron also. He asked how wide do you want the apron, I said to code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: