Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 11:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,518,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
We need more educated and hard working immigrants.

Too many Americans are fat, lazy slobs who are addicted to Netflix and cheetos.
We do need immigrants. None take any jobs that I would want. They work hard and seem to honestly believe in the American Dream. Many are masters, when it comes to moving up the social and economic ladder.
They don't fight higher education. Instead, they use it.

No, I don't live on the Island any longer. I visited my sister in January. She lives on the North Shore of Nassau, not far from where we grew up. I am on Long Island several times a year and for two weeks in the Summer.

What I never could understand, is why a place, mostly comprised of people whose ancestors passed through Ellis Island, can be so hateful, xenophobic and ignorant.

Do any of you think that your ancestors who came through Ellis Island were "legal aliens"? And what isa legal alien, anyway?

People who come here with large sums of money.? People who have passports or visas? Or is it just code for white people? Again, you should know that when your Ellis Island ancestors arrived at Ellis Island, very few had either. If they were fortunate, they had identification in the form of a birth certificate, baptismal certificate, or marriage certificate. There were no cars. Photo ID? No.

The truth is, they were MADE LEGAL CITISENS while they were processed on Ellis Island. The industrial revolution was underway, and the US needed willing workers.

Study the history of your country before you cast judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 04:54 AM

93,488 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Keep in mind people that many of the immigrants that are being referred to are legal.

Also, I found this from a thread in the General US forum, which has some more information to keep in mind: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...hrive-san.html

Old 02-02-2023, 05:38 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I live in Suffolk on north shore. If I was going to use a train it would be cold spring harbor or hicksville.

As long as we have homeless and struggling American citizens I stand firm that we should not be providing tax funded housing, medical, food etc to illegals.

mod cut - orphan quote

Exactly!!

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-02-2023 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-02-2023, 05:47 AM

5,295 posts, read 4,777,306 times
mod cut - orphan quote

Correct and there are two things she failed to mention. Once we had our fill of workers for the Industrial Revolution we virtually halted most immigration with the 1924 immigration act, this gave the waves of immigrants here decades to integrate until we opened the floodgates again with the 1964 INA. The amount of immigrants today we allow in (both legal and illegal) is unprecedented even by Ellis island standards.

Second the Ellis island wave was pre-welfare state. We didn’t have social security, Medicare etc. then. All programs in serious jeopardy, and gets worse every day. We can barely support them with the population we have now.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-02-2023 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-02-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind people that many of the immigrants that are being referred to are legal.

Also, I found this from a thread in the General US forum, which has some more information to keep in mind: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...hrive-san.html
True the link you posted really refers to legal immigrants. However the George W. Bush center is a mass immigration advocacy group so anything they publish has an agenda behind it.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:26 AM

mod cut - orphan quote

It was "proper" because we made it "proper". We made a way for immigrants to come here.

While my family arrived too early to have used Ellis Island as a port of entry, I have studied the time period extensively and formally. Most of the immigrants had no birth certificates. They were peasants, and home births were the norm. They were asked if they were "anarchists". When they said "no". they were taken at their word.

Part of the "processing" was MAKING them AMERICANS at Ellis Island. They were given I.D. cards. Unless they had a transmittable disease, they were made Americans.

Perhaps now is the time for building a processing center at the southern boarder to make a way for immigrants to come through legally.

You are the one who is ignorant of what went on, and of what could be done today to help refugees become a part of the fabric of America.

You just don't want that, do you?

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-02-2023 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-02-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Correct and there are two things she failed to mention. Once we had our fill of workers for the Industrial Revolution we virtually halted most immigration with the 1924 immigration act, this gave the waves of immigrants here decades to integrate until we opened the floodgates again with the 1964 INA. The amount of immigrants today we allow in (both legal and illegal) is unprecedented even by Ellis island standards.

Second the Ellis island wave was pre-welfare state. We didn’t have social security, Medicare etc. then. All programs in serious jeopardy, and gets worse every day. We can barely support them with the population we have now.
The immigration laws did change, excluding people from Eastern or Southern Europe, but Ellis Island continued to operate as a processing center until the 195os.

Sadly, the laws limiting Eastern and Sothern Europeans, as well as Jews, excluded boatloads of people who were returned to Europe only to be murdered in the Holocaust.

Refugees from persecution should without question be accepted into this country.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:42 AM

93,488 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
True the link you posted really refers to legal immigrants. However the George W. Bush center is a mass immigration advocacy group so anything they publish has an agenda behind it.
Like other outlets don't? With that said, the point was that every time the topic comes up, it isn't necessarily about illegal immigration. In the case of this study, if anything, it indicates that there is a certain type of immigrant that generally comes to Long Island(i.e.-usually with higher education, skills, etc.).

Old 02-02-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The immigration laws did change, excluding people from Eastern or Southern Europe, but Ellis Island continued to operate as a processing center until the 195os.

Sadly, the laws limiting Eastern and Sothern Europeans, as well as Jews, excluded boatloads of people who were returned to Europe only to be murdered in the Holocaust.

Refugees from persecution should without question be accepted into this country.
Sorry that’s not the way the law works. Asylum claims are full of fraud and the vast majority of claims are denied. The fact is most “asylum” seekers are economic migrants trying to take advantage of the system. So yes we do and should question each and every asylum claim otherwise we pretty much have a wide open border and anyone in the world that feels like they can come here. Literally no country on the world just takes everyone.

Yes Ellis island still existed but in a much diminished capacity from its heyday. The 1924 INA halted European immigration which was the VAST majority of immigration at the time. Today we should do the same thing but to other areas of the world.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:52 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
What is an "orphan quote", that several of us just got edited for???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island