Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 03:03 PM

187 posts, read 450,727 times

Advertisements

We live in Manhattan and think of moving to Long Island.

Looking to live near the LIRR station (want to walk to train).
Want to live in an apartment, 2br, 2bath would be perfect for us.
Budget up to 4500 to rent (initially), up to 900K to buy.
We both work near Grand Central, so looking for a place with the fastest commute into Midtown.

We are ethnically Jewish, but not religious, but would appreciate a town that has some Jewish cultural institutions.

Considering Great Neck. Are there any other towns we should look at? Would really like to keep the commute within 45-50 min, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 05:28 PM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
Great Neck is by far the best choice.

New LIRR schedules were announced last week. These schedules detail service between Great Neck and Grand Central debuting February 27.

https://new.mta.info/document/105296

Old 02-20-2023, 12:59 AM

789 posts, read 487,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
We live in Manhattan and think of moving to Long Island.

Looking to live near the LIRR station (want to walk to train).
Want to live in an apartment, 2br, 2bath would be perfect for us.
Budget up to 4500 to rent (initially), up to 900K to buy.
We both work near Grand Central, so looking for a place with the fastest commute into Midtown.

We are ethnically Jewish, but not religious, but would appreciate a town that has some Jewish cultural institutions.

Considering Great Neck. Are there any other towns we should look at? Would really like to keep the commute within 45-50 min, if possible.
Yea GN would be it. Hard to beat in terms of checking all of your boxes.

I live not too far away across the Queens side of the border and happen to think GN is sort of weird with no real community vibe. Maybe it's because I'm not jewish, I don't know. You get this weird mix of secular Jews (probably like yourself), Orthodox Jews (I see them walking to temple most days, not very friendly) and then foreign born Chinese along with Persians.

If I were a couple with no kids, it's prob fine. But not sure I'd want to settle there and raise a family. Just not enough of a community feel going for it. I think you can prob rent there but then explore Manhasset for home ownership. Or even the nice areas of North New Hyde Park and Herricks. Although you also have Roslyn, which is also a decent size Jewish community - but has more of a "village" type homey feel to it.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:31 AM

426 posts, read 960,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

I live not too far away across the Queens side of the border and happen to think GN is sort of weird with no real community vibe. Maybe it's because I'm not jewish, I don't know. You get this weird mix of secular Jews (probably like yourself), Orthodox Jews (I see them walking to temple most days, not very friendly) and then foreign born Chinese along with Persians.

If I were a couple with no kids, it's prob fine. But not sure I'd want to settle there and raise a family. Just not enough of a community feel going for it. I think you can prob rent there but then explore Manhasset for home ownership. Or even the nice areas of North New Hyde Park and Herricks. Although you also have Roslyn, which is also a decent size Jewish community - but has more of a "village" type homey feel to it.
This is pretty spot on, and I agree. Great neck has a very short commute into the city on the LIRR and it has a large Jewish population. Some secular and some orthodox. There are also a lot of Persian jews as well and more Asians have been moving there.

You may also want to explore Manhasset (a little further East than GN, or New Hyde Park). New hyde park has a fair share of south asians (indian, bangladeshi, etc) but also a large Jewish population.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 623 times
Quote:

I don't think there's been a sale under $1.5mm for years now in Great Neck / Manhasset. Anything sold under $1mm is def not turn-key, or it's something totally undesirable.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ockenbalz View Post
I don't think there's been a sale under $1.5mm for years now in Great Neck / Manhasset. Anything sold under $1mm is def not turn-key, or it's something totally undesirable.
Are you referring to the single family homes or apartments? Because I see a bunch of coop and condo 2-3br apartments in the 650-900K range listed.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:51 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:

Agree with all of this. Never really thought about it in these terms but you hit the nail on the head.

Will never forget the time we went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant and a rabbi showed up to check on the operation and went around and looked at everyone eating. Bridge too far for me.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree with all of this. Never really thought about it in these terms but you hit the nail on the head.

Will never forget the time we went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant and a rabbi showed up to check on the operation and went around and looked at everyone eating. Bridge too far for me.
It was probably a Kosher Mexican restaurant, otherwise, what was this rabbi checking? Maybe he was looking for a relative or a friend, and you took this as something else? A very strange comment.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:57 AM

426 posts, read 960,529 times
I think close to the city and walking distance to the train Great neck would still be your best bet. However, single family homes there go over 1 million (and that's for something that needs a lot of renovations) and about 2 million for something more new or turnkey.

However, there are nice co-ops and condo apartments that can be had in the 700-900K range most definitely.
Great neck is a very nice and quiet town.

Also, look at Manhasset, Roslyn (longer train ride) and New hyde park.

Old 02-26-2023, 09:32 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ockenbalz View Post
wrong. there is plenty of apartments in GN; mostly by LIRR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island