Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM

94 posts, read 294,417 times

Advertisements

ilovemycuties

AMEN!!! We too are all about family. That was nice to hear. Do you mind me asking where you live? We are looking into sayville, bayport or oakdale areas. We live nice, good clean lives. My kids are raised catholics, and friends and family come first and they know our limits. i didn't think walmart existed out there. neither are fashion conscious and we too shop in target, kohls and hand me downs. gap and old navy on sale days. i too would need camp, but for the full day unless my husband strikes it rich. i hope to hear back from you as to where you live and shop and compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
quikmove -- were you able to get the code books or point in the right direction?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM

ohbeehave, yes i was. i contacted consumer affairs who then told me to contact the town of islip. quite the racket going on to get a license in NY. But at least we are now moving in the right direction. i think we are going to get the home improvement license first then get a plumbers license. luckily my husbands God given talent is as a handyman, can do it all kind of guy. I was hoping to land a job with a company for him first but this may be the way to go. Thank you for posting so much. its been very helpful.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Hey Quik!

We move to Port Jefferson in November 2007...so we're STILL adjusting and unpacking (I know, that's terrible)!

The shopping out here is basically Smith Haven Mall, along with a couple of strip malls that include Target, Kohls, Wal-Mart.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikmove View Post
ohbeehave, yes i was. i contacted consumer affairs who then told me to contact the town of islip. quite the racket going on to get a license in NY. But at least we are now moving in the right direction. i think we are going to get the home improvement license first then get a plumbers license. luckily my husbands God given talent is as a handyman, can do it all kind of guy. I was hoping to land a job with a company for him first but this may be the way to go. Thank you for posting so much. its been very helpful.
I think I'm guessing right, your DH is a contractor & wants to start a business here on LI? My DH is a master carpenter & we had our own business for nearly 20 years. The workers comp insurance & liability insurance rates are among the highest in the country-enough to put you out of business before you start. Suffolk County is working hard to pass a law making contractors responsible for proving their employees are allowed to work in the US legally....its very hard to find dependable, quality people that fit this requirement. Although now with so many contractors out of business it might be easier. The other problem is competing against unlicensed, uninsured off duty cops & fireman that do "work on the side" for much less than your husband will be able to afford to charge.
I have to be honest with you, relocating here to start a home improvement business & support a family is probably a big risk at this point.The majoirty of work on LI is far west on the "gold coast" or all the way East in the Hamptons. Both are "who you know" climates & it takes time to work your way in. My DH is a project manager for a luxury home builder in Water Mill, it took him three years of networking to get the job.
I don't mean to be a downer & maybe I'm off base but I just want you to have the opinion of a wife of a tradesman before you pick up your family & move here!
Good Luck

Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I think I'm guessing right, your DH is a contractor & wants to start a business here on LI? My DH is a master carpenter & we had our own business for nearly 20 years. The workers comp insurance & liability insurance rates are among the highest in the country-enough to put you out of business before you start. Suffolk County is working hard to pass a law making contractors responsible for proving their employees are allowed to work in the US legally....its very hard to find dependable, quality people that fit this requirement. Although now with so many contractors out of business it might be easier. The other problem is competing against unlicensed, uninsured off duty cops & fireman that do "work on the side" for much less than your husband will be able to afford to charge.
I have to be honest with you, relocating here to start a home improvement business & support a family is probably a big risk at this point.The majoirty of work on LI is far west on the "gold coast" or all the way East in the Hamptons. Both are "who you know" climates & it takes time to work your way in. My DH is a project manager for a luxury home builder in Water Mill, it took him three years of networking to get the job.
I don't mean to be a downer & maybe I'm off base but I just want you to have the opinion of a wife of a tradesman before you pick up your family & move here!
Good Luck
KellyFG, I appreciate your honest information. That is exactly what I'm looking for. We weren't originally looking to start a business, but it seems virtually impossible to find a job as a non unioned plumber in NY and when we contacted the union they said he would have to start all over again and go thru their school from beginning to end. Which is not worth it for him. He even asked to take a test to see where he stood, but they said no. Any advice on where we could look for leads on jobs as a plumber. He's been a commercial plumber for 12+ years now. Thanks again for the advice. It will be very well thought about. I too, don't want to move everyone there w/o a good sound job, its too risky.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
QK,

If you send me a DM I can give you a name of a friend of mine that has a large plumbing company based out of Lindenhurst and may need some help.......

Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 PM

50 posts, read 196,174 times
Quote:
KellyFG, I appreciate your honest information. That is exactly what I'm looking for. We weren't originally looking to start a business, but it seems virtually impossible to find a job as a non unioned plumber in NY and when we contacted the union they said he would have to start all over again and go thru their school from beginning to end. Which is not worth it for him. He even asked to take a test to see where he stood, but they said no. Any advice on where we could look for leads on jobs as a plumber. He's been a commercial plumber for 12+ years now. Thanks again for the advice. It will be very well thought about. I too, don't want to move everyone there w/o a good sound job, its too risky.
Moving TO Long Island is a risky move. As beautiful as it is (I'm in Oakdale), it's just getting too expensive. I'm sure that's the case with a lot of places, but LI is taking a beating. There was a special on T.V. last week entitled "Leaving Long Island". It was basically about all the young people leaving because they cannont build a life here -- and businesses following them because they want the "young blood" for their business.

Every week my husband and I flounder on how we are going to make ends meet and we he works his butt off day and night. He defin. works just to maintain the lifestyle we have -- never mind ever saving any money.

I was born and raised on LI, all my family is on LI and we are still considering moving because life is a struggle here.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezed out View Post
Moving TO Long Island is a risky move. As beautiful as it is (I'm in Oakdale), it's just getting too expensive. I'm sure that's the case with a lot of places, but LI is taking a beating. There was a special on T.V. last week entitled "Leaving Long Island". It was basically about all the young people leaving because they cannont build a life here -- and businesses following them because they want the "young blood" for their business.

Every week my husband and I flounder on how we are going to make ends meet and we he works his butt off day and night. He defin. works just to maintain the lifestyle we have -- never mind ever saving any money.

I was born and raised on LI, all my family is on LI and we are still considering moving because life is a struggle here.
That is so sad and that is what i've been reading on other forums. i was born and raised in ny, queens and bklyn, but we looked to long island so we can raise our kids outside the city. I love it and miss it, thats why we are looking back. We've been gone 10 yrs and it gets harder and harder each time. There is nothing like NY people, food, entertainment, etc. And you learn that the hard way. I want to come back so bad, but at what cost. I don't want to become house poor, we live a good life right now, so there is alot at risk. But our schools have redistricted us to a bad neighborhood and t here is no way my children will attend. So that prompted the move to LI. My parents just moved to FL, that is another option we are tossing around. But my heart is in NY. Did that tv show have any promising word on whats next for LI?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:16 AM

50 posts, read 196,174 times
Quote:
That is so sad and that is what i've been reading on other forums. i was born and raised in ny, queens and bklyn, but we looked to long island so we can raise our kids outside the city. I love it and miss it, thats why we are looking back. We've been gone 10 yrs and it gets harder and harder each time. There is nothing like NY people, food, entertainment, etc. And you learn that the hard way. I want to come back so bad, but at what cost. I don't want to become house poor, we live a good life right now, so there is alot at risk. But our schools have redistricted us to a bad neighborhood and t here is no way my children will attend. So that prompted the move to LI. My parents just moved to FL, that is another option we are tossing around. But my heart is in NY. Did that tv show have any promising word on whats next for LI?

The show was on Channel 21 (can't remember the call letters). It was actually part of a series -- but I only caught a little bit of the first part entitled "leaving LI" and no, it wasn't very encouraging . It was bascially saying that an older generation will be left here and that the older generation will not be able to support themselves because they need the younger generation to care for them and to keep cost lower by having businesses on LI. Seem like a lose-lose situation.

My concern is that we may be able to struggle for years to come and get by -- but then what happens to my children? I don't want them leaving home and being pushed out of state because they can't afford to stay where they were raised.

Just curious, where are you moving from? When you mentioned the redistricting of the schools, brought to mind NC (where we were considering moving to!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island