Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM

94 posts, read 294,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezed out View Post
The show was on Channel 21 (can't remember the call letters). It was actually part of a series -- but I only caught a little bit of the first part entitled "leaving LI" and no, it wasn't very encouraging . It was bascially saying that an older generation will be left here and that the older generation will not be able to support themselves because they need the younger generation to care for them and to keep cost lower by having businesses on LI. Seem like a lose-lose situation.

My concern is that we may be able to struggle for years to come and get by -- but then what happens to my children? I don't want them leaving home and being pushed out of state because they can't afford to stay where they were raised.

Just curious, where are you moving from? When you mentioned the redistricting of the schools, brought to mind NC (where we were considering moving to!).
we are moving from MD. The whole redistricting is a horror. Our kids are being shuttled 14 miles from our home school (which is less than 2 miles away) to a gang ridden, drug infested, moldy school. We have only been her 5 years and it gets worse and worse. We love our neighborhood, but if I'm going to be forced to pay for private school, I'd rather pay it in my taxes there and get a great school and get a tax break. We are still in the process of finding a job for my husband, and somebody on the forum gave us a lead, so I'm hopeful something might fall into place. Thanks for your honesty. Good luck to you also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 AM

50 posts, read 196,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikmove View Post
we are moving from MD. The whole redistricting is a horror. Our kids are being shuttled 14 miles from our home school (which is less than 2 miles away) to a gang ridden, drug infested, moldy school. We have only been her 5 years and it gets worse and worse. We love our neighborhood, but if I'm going to be forced to pay for private school, I'd rather pay it in my taxes there and get a great school and get a tax break. We are still in the process of finding a job for my husband, and somebody on the forum gave us a lead, so I'm hopeful something might fall into place. Thanks for your honesty. Good luck to you also.
Leaving Long Island

Found the site for Channel 21. Looks like they are having an encore presentation on June 15.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Can't believe all this school stuff that seems to happening. It's crazy. I don't get it. You live in a nice area and your kids have to go to school in a crap area? That's horrible. That's all that needs to happen on LI and forget it, the entire Island will be empty.

My children (daughter age 6) and son (age 4) go, or will go, to the Connetquot school district (Bosti Elementary to be exact). Great school, great area -- it's a shame it's so damn expensive. The one thing I don't want to do is trade the security of where we live for affordable housing. How the heck to do you choose? Stay where you are (or move like you) and struggle every day or live more comfortable and have to deal with the school issues or crime-ridden areas?

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you looking to spend on a house? I can tell you if there are any in Oakdale that fall into that price range. And don't worry, you can't go wrong in Oakdale. There is no "bad area" at all.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Can't believe all this school stuff that seems to happening. It's crazy. I don't get it. You live in a nice area and your kids have to go to school in a crap area? That's horrible. That's all that needs to happen on LI and forget it, the entire Island will be empty.

My children (daughter age 6) and son (age 4) go, or will go, to the Connetquot school district (Bosti Elementary to be exact). Great school, great area -- it's a shame it's so damn expensive. The one thing I don't want to do is trade the security of where we live for affordable housing. How the heck to do you choose? Stay where you are (or move like you) and struggle every day or live more comfortable and have to deal with the school issues or crime-ridden areas?

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you looking to spend on a house? I can tell you if there are any in Oakdale that fall into that price range. And don't worry, you can't go wrong in Oakdale. There is no "bad area" at all.
The good thing in LI is that it is established. The reason for redistricting is because there is still room to build and grow and the schools can't keep up b/c developers aren't forced to build new schools for all the millions of developments they are putting up so established neighborhoods like mine get redistricted for the new developments that go up closer to the school. It is a NIGHTMARE! And your right, for me, my kids are 6 and 9, girls, I need the peace of mind of them being safe. I don't need to wonder what they are going to witness or be involved with or just their general safety. Another reason why LI. We are thinking up to $550K. I figure between Oakdale, Bayport and Sayville, we should find something. I'd like a 3+ bedroom home. My parents have friends somehwere in Oakdale and they love it!! I personally haven't been in Oakdale, thats my husbands choice. He had to meet someone there last year. I have only been thru Sayville, loved the village, and Bayport, seemed very quaint and pretty. Until my DH lands a job tho, we are still waiting. I have one year to make a move and boy the pressure is on. Anyone who knows someone looking for a great plumber or handyman feel free to repsond.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The good thing in LI is that it is established. The reason for redistricting is because there is still room to build and grow and the schools can't keep up b/c developers aren't forced to build new schools for all the millions of developments they are putting up so established neighborhoods like mine get redistricted for the new developments that go up closer to the school. It is a NIGHTMARE! And your right, for me, my kids are 6 and 9, girls, I need the peace of mind of them being safe. I don't need to wonder what they are going to witness or be involved with or just their general safety. Another reason why LI. We are thinking up to $550K. I figure between Oakdale, Bayport and Sayville, we should find something. I'd like a 3+ bedroom home. My parents have friends somehwere in Oakdale and they love it!! I personally haven't been in Oakdale, thats my husbands choice. He had to meet someone there last year. I have only been thru Sayville, loved the village, and Bayport, seemed very quaint and pretty. Until my DH lands a job tho, we are still waiting. I have one year to make a move and boy the pressure is on. Anyone who knows someone looking for a great plumber or handyman feel free to repsond.
Well you should have no problem finding a house in that price range. The more south of Montauk Highway you go, the more the houses cost because you are that much closer to the water. But, anywhere in Oakdale, Sayville or Bayport, you are near the water. South of Montauk or not. And all three of those towns are within minutes of eachother. I live in Oakdale, but go into Sayville and Bayport all the time. The towns run (west to east) Oakdale, Sayville, Bayport and then Blue Point. Blue Point being the furtherst from me is still only 10 minutes away. That should give you an idea on how close togehter they are. So, if you find a house in Oakdale, you are not giving up the town of Sayville. It's literally right down the road. All of those south-shore towns are right off the highway so it makes for easy driving.

Good luck with your husbands job search. The pressure must be unbelievable. If I can help at all, let me know!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
The towns run (west to east) Oakdale, Sayville, Bayport and then Blue Point.

The communities run (west to east) the Hamlet of Oakdale, the Hamlet of West Sayville, the Hamlet of Sayville, the Hamlet of Bayport, all in the Town of Islip, and then cross the Islip/Brookhaven town line into the Hamlet of Blue Point in the Town of Brookhaven.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Well you should have no problem finding a house in that price range. The more south of Montauk Highway you go, the more the houses cost because you are that much closer to the water. But, anywhere in Oakdale, Sayville or Bayport, you are near the water. South of Montauk or not. And all three of those towns are within minutes of eachother. I live in Oakdale, but go into Sayville and Bayport all the time. The towns run (west to east) Oakdale, Sayville, Bayport and then Blue Point. Blue Point being the furtherst from me is still only 10 minutes away. That should give you an idea on how close togehter they are. So, if you find a house in Oakdale, you are not giving up the town of Sayville. It's literally right down the road. All of those south-shore towns are right off the highway so it makes for easy driving.

Good luck with your husbands job search. The pressure must be unbelievable. If I can help at all, let me know!
I appreciate your good wishes. We will need them. Maybe if we move there we'll meet up one day.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your good wishes. We will need them. Maybe if we move there we'll meet up one day.
Sounds like a plan. Keep me posted on your progress!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Well to all of you that have helped us so much, just wanted to let you know we love sayville. we are looking at houses in the area today and tomorrow bayport and oakdale. theres a fair going on in the village, people are so friendly,even on the streets we are looking at houses in. waving, smiling etc... we already feel welcomed. now if only my house will sell. i can't hardly wait to get back to NY. thanks again everyone!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM

96 posts, read 433,734 times
Bayport/blue pt schools seem to always be on austerity, so if you don't mind driving your kids to school, no problem. Connetquots (oakdale) has passed the last several years so nothing was cut. Both have excellent reputations . Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island