Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 05:21 PM

9 posts, read 5,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
I feel bad for you. It seems to me that you’re doing everything right and then some, and I don’t see your concerns as petty at all. If you’re trying to never park in front of neighbors’ houses and someone else is totally at the other end of the spectrum and trying to maneuver 11 cars into the street, yeah, you’ve got a legitimate gripe for sure. As for garbage, it’s more than just unsightly — it invites vermin, which is downright dangerous. You’re trying to do right by your family and your property investment and it sounds like you are exactly the type of homeowner this neighborhood needs. Imagine what the area could be like if everybody lived the way you do. It would be great if this insane market brought some positive change and gentrification to the area. I hope you make money on your investment. I do worry about being labeled the neighborhood rat though; that would be a valid concern in any neighborhood. Neighbor disputes can be awful. One in my area some years ago resulted in a very costly court battle and some really nasty stuff, like killing koi in a pond, placing nails in the driveway and blocking access to the house, among other things. This was in the days before everybody had a Ring camera. The situation went on for years before one of the parties finally moved away.
I hate to say it but some gentrification would be nice. Mind you I’m Spanish. There was talk of Pilgrim being developed, but I think that fell through. Rumor has it it’s because there are not enough teachers to support more kids. We all know how populares Brentwood is. As for a possibility of the neighbor retaliating, he wouldn’t as he constantly gets scared when my friends (Suffolk PD) come over for lunch from time to time. That’s when he parks all of his cars in his driveway and the back of his house. I don’t get my friends involved because I’m not for abusing power. Like I said I’m all for street parking in front of your own home as people pay taxes (or we hope) but 11 cars is overkill and abuse of a privilege that was given to you. I’m definitely making money on my home as it appraised for twice as much then what I bought it for. Can I sell now? Yes. However, I will hold it for at least two years minimum. I’m also not worried of being labeled as a rat as we know many families in this area. My in laws have lived here for 30+ years and I call my father in law the mayor of the area as he knows every one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 5,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
OP needs to park infront of tj2013's house.

If he lives too far away, buy the cheapest car you can find
...$500 or so...and park it Infront of tj2013's house. Move it every few weeks - drive around the block and park it again.

One problem solved.

Now hopefully someone can help the OP with his initial problem.
Lmfao. Not a bad idea

Old 03-17-2023, 05:44 PM

63 posts, read 70,639 times
Gentrification by definition isn’t race or nationality-based. It’s when wealthier residents move in, make improvements to property, attract successful businesses by doing so, and incentivize others to do the same, resulting in displacement of the former occupants, who may or may not be members of a certain race. I think it would be great for the area if the many of the current (read: unsavory) occupants were squeezed out. Where they’d go, I don’t know, but that’s a question for a different day. I imagine your undesirable neighbors would fall into the category of the displaced. I’m happy to hear you’ve got all this support from friends, family and even the police!

Old 03-17-2023, 05:52 PM

20,063 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Quote:
I will say I feel your pain. I have ridiculous one...and I'm in what is considered a nice area. So "Brentwood" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.

My neighbor had been putting his garbage infront of my house...sometimes barely, and sometimes 6 or 8 feet infront of my house for years. I let it go - bigger matters to worry about.

One evening recently after work, as I was parking infront of my own home I tapped one of their pails. Didn't even knock it over...pail was just leaning a few degrees.

The next morning I get an angry text with video. The guy had the balls to be mad I tapped his garbage which was infront of my own home. In the ensuing discussion he also said that his grandma can't see when backing out of his driveway due to the car parked Infront of my own home (was only parked there each night for a few weeks...I needed to temporarily use the street). I said I didn't mean to hit the pail...but please put your garage infront of your own house from now on. I got accused of being petty. Some balls.

I didn't start a war over it, not worth it. Even if you're right on every level, you won't win when dealing with morons.

So I can sympathize...hard for you to "win" even if you win.
Drop whatever you’re doing, and go over there and kick the living **** out of that *******.
Go now. Do it. Really. Beat him down real good.
Then dump his garbage can all over his lawn. Then kick the empty can into his car.
Maybe throw it through his front window. And screw his grandmother. The old bat probably shouldn’t even be driving.

Old 03-17-2023, 06:11 PM

412 posts, read 290,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Drop whatever you’re doing, and go over there and kick the living **** out of that *******.
Go now. Do it. Really. Beat him down real good.
Then dump his garbage can all over his lawn. Then kick the empty can into his car.
Maybe throw it through his front window. And screw his grandmother. The old bat probably shouldn’t even be driving.
Oh I thought about just that...really almost down to the exact details you mentioned coincidentally. But, there are cameras everywhere nowadays. Including the one that recorded me tapping into a garbage pail infront of my own house.

The level of restraint and self control I've exhibited is impressive

Old 03-17-2023, 07:31 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,061,296 times
Quote:
Oh I thought about just that...really almost down to the exact details you mentioned coincidentally. But, there are cameras everywhere nowadays. Including the one that recorded me tapping into a garbage pail infront of my own house.

The level of restraint and self control I've exhibited is impressive
Unfortunately for yourself and the OP this seems to be an ongoing and progressing behavioral pattern not only on Long Island, but across the nation, and it affects all areas of society, not just property and neighborhood/neighbor disputes.

Police are leaving their jobs in record numbers, leaving departments scrambling to find replacements with fewer and fewer new recruits.

Walmart just closed both their metro Portland Oregon stores apparently in part to rampant crime/robbery/shoplifting. This apparently is a problem across the nation for mom and pop stores as well as big box retailers. I watched a video where a small store owner says police don't even bother to answer robbery and shoplifting calls anymore and instruct him to file a report online.

I am seeing bolder and more aggressive driving and traffic maneuvers I never witnessed in the past, and other local societal behaviors that have simply morphed into a category of "acceptable tolerance".

It's turning into the Wild West out there! Or in our case, the Wild East...

Old 03-17-2023, 07:52 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times
There are certain neighborhoods I avoid like the plague and Brentwood is one of them. Why not sell the house now that you renovated it and move to a better neighborhood before the housing market fully crumbles? That neighborhood is not going to get any better and your situation will probably get worse.

Old 03-17-2023, 08:03 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Unfortunately OP 20 people living in a single family home in Brentwood is not all that uncommon. I feel for your situation, after you make all your improvements you may want to seriously consider elsewhere

Old 03-18-2023, 08:38 AM

719 posts, read 621,333 times
Please go to the televised Town Hall meeting so we can see the poster whine cry and sob about all the parked cars in the street that "belongs to him" in his mind! Should be quite entertaining!

Get over it. If your neighbor has a party every day or has his friends over every day and they park in front of your house that's just the way it is. People park in front of my house and I could care less.
The street is not yours! Stop acting like a selfish self entitled territorial tyrant to live next to..

And yes this happens all over long island even in the better areas. Too many delusional homeowners with all their unwritten rules

Old 03-18-2023, 10:12 AM

87 posts, read 142,231 times
i grew up in central islip two blocks off islip avenue. which was the border line of c.i. and east brentwood. this would be in the 60's and early 70's (graduated c.i. high school in 1972).

it's funny. us c.i. kids thought the brentwood side was higher class, so to speak. we hung out at ramon and lolly 's superette on islip avenue and peach street. hell, i learned spanish hanging out there. but the brentwood side was newer, the streets had sidewalks and curbs. the c.i. side had neither. so it always felt like a newer, "better" neighborhood.

us c.i. kids would ride our bikes through the brentwood streets on july 5th. we would pick up unexploded firecracker packs when guys lit up matts. there was always a lot of them (yeah, it was an italian neighborhood then and we do love our works :- } ).

i mean, when i was growing up there, squirrel hill homes was selling all those east brentwood homes for less than $20,000.

in the end, home ownership is what keeps an area livable. it is a damn shame about those neighbor issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island