Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:09 PM

22,460 posts, read 11,981,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
After traveling 3k miles with no other options, would you steal for your family? Point is, they are here and they have limited choices, and crime is one of them or you get them to work. With no work, it ia understandable why they would choose crime, with no other options...killed or be killed.

Ever heard of Tammany Hall, Five points and all the squalor, crime and poverty of legal Irish immigrants in NYC? They were considered filth, drunks, hated and source of crime. But the big machine got them jobs, for votes. They slowly changed their circumstances.
Would I steal for my family? Absolutely not. I would avail myself of whatever soup kitchens and food banks there may be. None of these so-called "migrants" are starving. Rather, they are refusing to eat the free food that is offered to them. Instead, they break the laws and cook food on hot plates in their luxury hotel rooms. Many have scorched the carpets in their rooms. When caught and their hot plates get confiscated, they just buy another one and thumb their nose at the laws.

There is no excuse for committing any crimes

As for Tammany Hall, etc. of course I've read of them. I also know the narrative of the "Irish need not apply" signs. You can't compare what happened over 100 years to what is happening today. Nowhere will you see signs at businesses telling any ethnic, racial or religious group that they "need not apply". In the 40s my Dad went looking for a part-time job when he was in high school and living in NYC. He told me that at many places they took one look at him and said "We don't hire Puerto Ricans". Anyone who gets treated like that today is in violation of the law.

As for the so-called "migrants" --- none of them have any business being here.

Old 02-04-2024, 04:26 PM

22,460 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
I agree with you but doesn't change the fact they are here. Since they are here, they can hopefully continue to work off the books and take those crappy jobs.

The options comment is regards to them here with NO job or take quick pay as a criminal. If you were left with nothing to lose, do you choose to lay down and die, or steal and fight?

Housing and 1k sounds like a lot doesn't it. Again, if you give them absolutely nothing; you, me and everyone else in NY would have a lot more to loose. If you give a little, you appease and give hope.

The Irish at the time were spoken in the same light, hated just as much. Everywhere the Jews went, they were persecuted and seen as less(Jewish ghettos around the world). Both became productive and contributing members. This is just another scenario, different people. They aren't all criminals, they are just trying to survive - it is just survival means different paths, that also means criminal.

So you think it's a great idea to get paid under the table with no taxes getting taken out of your paycheck? Plus, you think it's okay that a good chunk of that ill-gotten money is being sent out of this country instead of being put back into our economy?

These current so-called "migrants" all had a choice. They weren't forced at gun point to come here. There is no excuse for engaging in criminal actions. As I pointed out previously, they could avail themselves of charitable help. There are many bleeding hearts out there who would give them plenty.

NY "would have a lot to "loose"[sic]" if these so-called "migrants" weren't given anything? Give us all a break! In our country, we have many poor Americans who struggle to find places to live and have trouble making ends meet.

There is an old saying that will always ring true ---"Charity begins at home". That means we take care of our own first and foremost. If there is anything leftover, then help others. To give you an example --- Would you feed, clothe and shelter strangers while your family went without?

Old 02-04-2024, 05:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
If we weren’t so freaking accommodating they wouldn’t be coming here. Stop the handouts and freebies and they won’t come here.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:05 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,198 times
It's one of the reasons that LI is pretty red right now, both counties despite registered Dems outnumbering registered Repubs. LI has taken a different path vs Westchester.

They will typically end up in the downtrodden, crime-ridden (by LI standards) undesirable communities dominated by black/brown people.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:03 AM

297 posts, read 133,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Would I steal for my family? Absolutely not. I would avail myself of whatever soup kitchens and food banks there may be. None of these so-called "migrants" are starving. Rather, they are refusing to eat the free food that is offered to them. Instead, they break the laws and cook food on hot plates in their luxury hotel rooms. Many have scorched the carpets in their rooms. When caught and their hot plates get confiscated, they just buy another one and thumb their nose at the laws.

There is no excuse for committing any crimes

As for Tammany Hall, etc. of course I've read of them. I also know the narrative of the "Irish need not apply" signs. You can't compare what happened over 100 years to what is happening today. Nowhere will you see signs at businesses telling any ethnic, racial or religious group that they "need not apply". In the 40s my Dad went looking for a part-time job when he was in high school and living in NYC. He told me that at many places they took one look at him and said "We don't hire Puerto Ricans". Anyone who gets treated like that today is in violation of the law.

As for the so-called "migrants" --- none of them have any business being here.
Im not making excuses for them but understand, their situation and why they are doing what they are doing. Do I like it, no There is a difference.

They are here, every small minded person says the sams thing, thay they shouldnt be, and illegal! With over 120k in NYC it kinda too late. There is an albatross of a problem that geta bigger with no action.

You can vote, organize and keep them centralized, offer something to keep them in check, and hopefully that is enough to them compliant.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:14 AM

297 posts, read 133,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

So you think it's a great idea to get paid under the table with no taxes getting taken out of your paycheck? Plus, you think it's okay that a good chunk of that ill-gotten money is being sent out of this country instead of being put back into our economy?

These current so-called "migrants" all had a choice. They weren't forced at gun point to come here. There is no excuse for engaging in criminal actions. As I pointed out previously, they could avail themselves of charitable help. There are many bleeding hearts out there who would give them plenty.

NY "would have a lot to "loose"[sic]" if these so-called "migrants" weren't given anything? Give us all a break! In our country, we have many poor Americans who struggle to find places to live and have trouble making ends meet.

There is an old saying that will always ring true ---"Charity begins at home". That means we take care of our own first and foremost. If there is anything leftover, then help others. To give you an example --- Would you feed, clothe and shelter strangers while your family went without?
Under the table pay still happens. They worked their ass for it, underpaid and no benefits. It subsidizes the avg American dream whether you freely admit it or not. That teenage babysitter someone pays, its off the books too, so are bartenders, waiters, bellyboys and ect...all legal but do you think they 1099. Sending the money back to another country, its old news. They will evebtually settle.down and contribute, as you already know from the Irish and Jews of NYC.

Travel to Mexico and DR is cheap, so cheap it makes us feel great for getting a great deal - cheap labor is the real reason. Well, conversly, their cheap labor provides that same feeling when we arent gouged and small business can be more competitive or even your avg joe can get help without paying through the nose.

Charity is not for all. Even bums in the city dont take up charity ir shelters, choosing freedom vs rules.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:14 AM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Im not making excuses for them but understand, their situation and why they are doing what they are doing. Do I like it, no There is a difference.

They are here, every small minded person says the sams thing, thay they shouldnt be, and illegal! With over 120k in NYC it kinda too late. There is an albatross of a problem that geta bigger with no action.

You can vote, organize and keep them centralized, offer something to keep them in check, and hopefully that is enough to them compliant.
No, you can stop them from coming here, deport them, end the handouts.
They don’t belong here. Period. End of story.
Follow the laws, sign up and come here LEGALLY.
Enough with the bleeding heart bull****.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:50 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,659,838 times
The problem with all of these migrants is that they don't know what's coming. The US is on an unsustainable trajectory with its debt. And states like NY can beg the Fed for help but eventually the the money can't buy anything when the value keeps dropping as it has.

In China a meal cost around $2 on the street, a similar meal in the US is $10. Mainly because the dollar has lost a lot strength. It can't buy a burger for under $10 where elsewhere you can get the same meal for $2.

So these migrants came here for the US dollar so they can send it back to their country with a broken currency. Here they can only eat a burger for $10 but in their country $10 buys them a week of groceries.

That's why they are here. Eventually, if the dollar collapses then it will cause a global crisis.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:58 PM

544 posts, read 939,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
They dont want hope. A good percentage of the young men from central and south america coming over alone are gang members. God knows what the single guys from the Mid East are. I.imagine we will be finding out soon what sleeper cell they are in.
This makes me think of the Mariel Boatlift in the 80s. There had been estimated to be a large number of criminals among those fleeing Cuba.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:30 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,855,244 times
There is NO benefit to having unvaccinated, uneducated, illiterate ILLEGAL ALIENS in any state in this country.

There is no upside, only taxpayer-funded downside.

The fact that we have homeless US Veterans who are not taken care of while we are throwing money at ILLEGAL ALIENS is disgraceful.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island