U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,906,263 times

Advertisements

Westbury can be nice but I would say the negative out ways the positive to a person not living here. I like Westbury and used to live on Post Ave in The Horizon. Very few things can beat the stores/restaurants on Post Ave but the problem with the town is that it is a "hangout" even at night with people doing absolutely nothing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,126,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Just one more question though, why doesn't Carle Place have a library or do they use Westbury?
Depending on where you are in Carle Place, they'd probably use Westbury or Williston Park's library. I dunno why they don't have their own, most communities of decent size on LI have one.

I was at a party on Wilson over the weekend and had to hike down Post Avenue to get a pack of cigarettes ($7.00 now which is totally ridiculous). I saw plenty of Hispanic males but didn't get stabbed or anything.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM

222 posts, read 866,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Westbury can be nice but I would say the negative out ways the positive to a person not living here. I like Westbury and used to live on Post Ave in The Horizon. Very few things can beat the stores/restaurants on Post Ave but the problem with the town is that it is a "hangout" even at night with people doing absolutely nothing!
Again...maybe you've seen some folks "hanging-out" on or around Post Ave. due to it's design, but many parts of "Westbury" do not reflect what you describe.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:06 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,481,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Depending on where you are in Carle Place, they'd probably use Westbury or Williston Park's library. I dunno why they don't have their own, most communities of decent size on LI have one.

I was at a party on Wilson over the weekend and had to hike down Post Avenue to get a pack of cigarettes ($7.00 now which is totally ridiculous). I saw plenty of Hispanic males but didn't get stabbed or anything.
Perhaps it has to do with it not being an incorporated village?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
Again...maybe you've seen some folks "hanging-out" on or around Post Ave. due to it's design, but many parts of "Westbury" do not reflect what you describe.
In what respect?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
In what respect?
I live across from Hedges/Wheatley Villa and I've never seen anyone hanging out there or in the Carraiage Hills/Woodcock, BirchwoodKnolls, Sherwood Gardens etc...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Developments are a bit different because they are somewhat contained. Drive down Post ave, Maple ave, or Union Ave and the scene is much different. I will change my statement that not all of Westbury is like this but in the commercial areas (stores, main streets, etc) people tend to hang out. I just got back in the house from getting food and saw quite a few people "chilling out" on Post Ave and Maple Ave as I passed by.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,126,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Perhaps it has to do with it not being an incorporated village?
Nah, most large communities have libraries bearing their names regardless of their political status. They're separate entities that stretch outside municipal boundaries. I live in North Wantagh, but I believe our taxes go to the Levittown Public Library, like they go to the Levittown schools.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Developments are a bit different because they are somewhat contained. Drive down Post ave, Maple ave, or Union Ave and the scene is much different. I will change my statement that not all of Westbury is like this but in the commercial areas (stores, main streets, etc) people tend to hang out. I just got back in the house from getting food and saw quite a few people "chilling out" on Post Ave and Maple Ave as I passed by.
To be fair though, Union Ave really borders New Cassel, which is quite a different animal. I've driven down Post Ave (at one point daily) and never saw groups of folks just hanging out. No actually one time coming home from work late (after 10pm) I did see some hispanic guys playing "futbol" a couple years back when the world cup was going on. This was in the RR parking lot for village residents.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
To be fair though, Union Ave really borders New Cassel, which is quite a different animal. I've driven down Post Ave (at one point daily) and never saw groups of folks just hanging out. No actually one time coming home from work late (after 10pm) I did see some hispanic guys playing "futbol" a couple years back when the world cup was going on. This was in the RR parking lot for village residents.
That is true, Union Ave is a border. Well I hope that all this redevelopment keeps up because Westbury is turning into a pretty neat area. I have only been watching it for abiout 4 years and the changes have been drastic from then to now. Lots of new construction, especially near Post Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island