Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,016 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a job offer that would relocate us from Cincinnati to central Long Island. From reading some of the threads on here I know that Long Island is expensive. I would like to get a better idea of some of the other costs other than taxes and housing. How much more could we expect to pay for home/auto insurance, utilities, gas, grocery, any other things I might not be considering that would increase. We are thinking about buying in 550K range in a good school district. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,081,383 times
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Try this calculator. If you can't find your town, just select Nassau County NY.

Or this one.

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

I really can't compare b/c I know nothing about where you are coming from.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2008 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 PM

26 posts, read 218,098 times
I will tell you that we did a lot of research (relocating to LI from Atlanta) and settled on Babylon Village. Good schools, great restaurants/bars, close to the beach and express trains into Manhattan.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:06 PM

652 posts, read 2,258,542 times
I think one of the biggest shockers for you might be health insurance if you don't have it paid for by the company. We pay over fifteen grand a year with a high deductable. I know my sister who lives in Florida is shocked we pay that much.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 12,016 times
We lived in Atlanta before Cincinnati and cost of living wise they are similar. So the Babylon school district is good? Currently I was only looking at Port Jefferson, Three Village, Huntington, and Smithtown. Is it comparable to those? AtlKelly - How do you like Long Island? How does it compare to Atlanta?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,495,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily77 View Post
We lived in Atlanta before Cincinnati and cost of living wise they are similar. So the Babylon school district is good? Currently I was only looking at Port Jefferson, Three Village, Huntington, and Smithtown. Is it comparable to those? AtlKelly - How do you like Long Island? How does it compare to Atlanta?
All of the towns are great towns and schools, I prefer the North shore to Babylon but Its really nice too. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:02 AM

889 posts, read 2,399,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
I think one of the biggest shockers for you might be health insurance if you don't have it paid for by the company. We pay over fifteen grand a year with a high deductable. I know my sister who lives in Florida is shocked we pay that much.
OMG Andy! I think my husband better never retire from Verizon!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:42 PM

37 posts, read 189,579 times
I know Smithtown and Huntington are good. Commack, Northport, Syosset also have great school districts, they're good places to raise a family and have plenty of businesses. Another area you might want to consider is Wantagh, it is a sizeable, family-oriented town a few minutes from the beach, with this price range you can afford to buy a nice house in Wantagh, there are some great parks and a good school district, but you should know that is on the South Shore. The taxes on a home in Long Island that costs around $550,000 will be around $10,000 in taxes. Home insurance prices are also steep, gas prices are higher than the national average, groceries can vary from expensive to cheap, depending on where you shop. Stores like Costco, Wal Mart and BJ's sell groceries wholesale, but specialty stores are more expensive.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:15 PM

26 posts, read 218,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily77 View Post
We are moving up there next week but we have spent a lot of time in the area. Frankly, my home and taxes are going to be LESS than living in Atlanta! We have a nice (albeit smaller) home that we will be moving into. I can write you back in a couple of weeks to give you a better idea about the overall cost of living. I was dreading having to pay for the train every month into the city but with gas prices, I think I'm better off!

The schools in Babylon Village are good. We did a lot of checking around and met others that have children in the schools. It's a very small school district and I think that might help since in my opinion schools are most successful when parents are involved.

Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island