Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times

Advertisements

here is a site with a map of current FIOS coverage. Getting closer to Sound Beach!

Verizon FiOS Availability Map - dslreports.com

Just put in your zip. There is an option to look for "planned" coverage as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
anyone with a little knowledge of computers can open ports on the verizon router. i commend vz for providing good security enabled routers. you dont want your neighbor using your wireless( trust me on this one). If you want to run wide open, all you have to do is configure the router with security turned off.
I tried setting up a static IP for somebody on FiOS and running ipconfig under Windows there were no DNS servers listed. Calling Verizon they had no idea what we were talking about. Maybe it was only older routers, but I know other people had similar problems.

Alternately, if you have a little more knowledge of computers, you can set up a $60 Linksys router to behave like a $600 router. I use DD-WRT on mine and it's incredible. I did think Cablevision's internet service sucked until I configured my router properly. We have 7 PCs and 1 Xbox hooked up through it and I still get ~13Mbps bandwith on a cable line that was installed in the late 90s.

Probably the nerdiest post that has ever been made on here.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:54 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I tried setting up a static IP for somebody on FiOS and running ipconfig under Windows there were no DNS servers listed. Calling Verizon they had no idea what we were talking about. Maybe it was only older routers, but I know other people had similar problems.

Alternately, if you have a little more knowledge of computers, you can set up a $60 Linksys router to behave like a $600 router. I use DD-WRT on mine and it's incredible. I did think Cablevision's internet service sucked until I configured my router properly. We have 7 PCs and 1 Xbox hooked up through it and I still get ~13Mbps bandwith on a cable line that was installed in the late 90s.

Sean x4,

Please adhere to the rules of this forum.....english only!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:51 AM

73 posts, read 292,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Nerdy but good info. I'm going to try it on my router later this week. As for FIOS, what's the general feeling about it? I'm moving to a house in VS and have the option of either triple play package. I'm thinking it might be worth it to get the FIOS fiber lines run to my new house now so I'm future.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:54 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napjester666 View Post
Nerdy but good info. I'm going to try it on my router later this week. As for FIOS, what's the general feeling about it? I'm moving to a house in VS and have the option of either triple play package. I'm thinking it might be worth it to get the FIOS fiber lines run to my new house now so I'm future.
We have Fios for interent and Phone (We have Directv due to the football package) and we are very happy with it.

The tech told me that the FIOS TV signal is actually Directv's that they just pipe thru the glass.....pretty interesting.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
The tech told me that the FIOS TV signal is actually Directv's that they just pipe thru the glass.....pretty interesting.

It amazes me how many uniformed techs work for verizon. This is not true at all. Verzizon has its own video feeds from the providers. BTW i am an informed tech who works for verizon

Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM

17 posts, read 31,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Then it's definately the Village of Westbury holding it up, because isn't New cassel out of the Westbury Central Office?
I've contacted Westbury Village within the past six months and confirmed that a contract has in fact been signed with Verizon for FIOS TV. Any holdup must be on Verizon's end.

Now, why Verizon is offering me Internet and Voice but no TV yet is beyond me, but you won't get anywhere with the FIOS TV reps, they aren't any help (I've been calling them for the past three years).

I contacted the Clerk's Office (516) 334-1700 and was called back after they looked into it (FIOS). I am not sure who they spoke with, but it was someone within the Village government, and not just another clerk. (They are actually pretty helpful if you ask the right questions).

I'm not sure who you spoke with back in June (I spoke with Anita) when you first posted this, so it's possible either they just didn't give you the right info or that my call was sometime after yours.

I would suggest calling them again (Westbury) to confirm the information I was given.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
In my experience the only thing cablevision has over VZ is better customer service and they have local stores if I ever needed to go which is not often anyways. Also the Fios install took a long time (something like 4-5 hrs!); but that was a one time deal so its all good.

Fios is just plain better overall since I got it in every way.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
When is it coming to the Town of Babylon??? I am sooooo sick of Cablevision!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Funny this thread got resurrected today. I was at the mall today and spoke with the guy at the Fios kiosk asking him when in gods name are they coming to Rocky Point/Sound Beach area. He gave me a long story about how Cablevision has the town of Brookhaven by the "you know whats" because of how much money that goes under the table and blah blah blah. Who knows what is true and what is not...but what this guy was very clear on is that eastward progress of FIOS is not happening any time soon.

My triple play expires in Jan...I'm strongly thinking about Direct TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island