Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfirefly View Post
Can someone tell me what the alphabet sections are?

Also, we can probably go up to $475,000 in areas where taxes are lower.
Stony Brook has development areas where the street names all start with a specific letter of the alphabet. There's the B, H, O, M sections,(I'm leaving something out, senior moment here)and the S section -- Strathmore -- which is actually most preferable of all the 'lettered' sections.

Another member on the board had lived in the S section, she would be the best to get details from. A friend on another web site moved into the S section and she is as happy as a clam.

The S Section is on Nicolls Rd just north of 347. Heading north on Nicolls, you would make a right at the first traffic light after 347. (There's a park on the corner.) It is a nice neighborhood, lots of trees, well kept homes.

You would be in the 3V schools and the commute to Ronkonkoma more reasonable than if you were further north.

***I have no interest in the following, not a RE agent, do not know the owners****

I did a quick check of the mlsli.com site and there is a home for sale in the S section:
ML#: 2076787
11 Saywood Ln
Asking $499K - Taxes $8873
.35 acre
From the listing:
"Beautiful Gladstone Col. Featuring An Updated Kitchen, 2.5 Updated Bathrooms, Elegant Formal Living & Dining Rms, Family Rm, Office On 1st Floor, Mbr Ste W/Full Bth. Heated 18X38 Igp W/Patio, Beautiful Fully Fenced Landscaped Yard, 2 Sheds, New Anderson Sliders, Cac."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 02:20 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Stony Brook is twenty mins if there is absolutely NO traffic and you hit the lights just right. I live off 25A and it can take me 20 mins to get to Rte 25 & Nicolls. If I have to go anywhere near the airport (Ronkonkoma LIRR) I allow myself at least 30 mins. Mind you, I do most of my driving off peak. A commuter might have to add a few more mins.

If the OP looks at homes in the alphabet sections s/he will find homes in their price range. They also will have at least a 6-7 minute advantage over me as they will be that much closer to 347.
Apparently you have a bad sense of direction then.You can take 347 to middle country by the mall and go through old nicholls or 347 to hudson. To the airport, nicholls to 454 or LIE to 60 and go past west side of airport. Unfortunately i've had to race it a few times. Easy 20 minutes,or 15 in a rush--making all the lights.If you live by the northernmost sections of setauket obviously it takes a few more minutes.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Apparently you have a bad sense of direction then.You can take 347 to middle country by the mall and go through old nicholls or 347 to hudson. To the airport, nicholls to 454 or LIE to 60 and go past west side of airport. Unfortunately i've had to race it a few times. Easy 20 minutes,or 15 in a rush--making all the lights.If you live by the northernmost sections of setauket obviously it takes a few more minutes.
Apparently you don't do this ride from my home. I do not live in the 'northernmost sections of Setauket'. I live in Stony Brook and am back and forth to Bohemia (1 block west of Lakeland & 454 intersection -- just west of the airport as you're indicated.)

As you have written, "Unfortunately i've had to race it a few times." AND
"Easy 20 minutes,or 15 in a rush--making all the lights." You have a better chance of winning the lottery than making all the lights between here and Ronkonkoma. How often do you race down the local roads, exceeding the speed limits and placing others at risk? Let's talk about a commuting at a sane rate of speed, with traffic during normal commuting times. I am of the impression the OP's spouse will be commuting 9-5 type hours.

I could take 25A to Stony Brook Rd south across 347, across 25, through 5 corners, continue south, cross 495 and down toward Lakeland. It's one lane each way until you hit the LIE. Not to forget the speed limit is what? 30 or 35 mph? Get a granny in front of you, a concrete truck, and you are going to crawl.

I could take 25A to Nicolls/LIE/60 and again, the lights on Nicolls HAVE to be running in your favor or you are screwed. You have the advantage of a faster speed limit in your favor. Get on Nicolls at the wrong time (rush hours, college kids getting in and out of SUNY and SCC Selden and you are going to be creeping.

I could take the way you've written -- which is a joke from here. 25A/Stony Brook Rd/Hallock Rd/25/Moriches/Old Nichols/Gibbs Pond/Rosevale Again -- lots of local, one lane roads, traffic lights and restrictive speed limits, Mall traffic at holiday times, etc.

I could take 25A to Lake Ave and take that all the way south into Ronkonkoma.

If you are driving off peak hours and defying NYS Motor Vehicle laws, you can get to Ronkonkoma in 20 mins. If you are commuting during the times the rest of the working world does, it is going to be cutting it very close to 30 at best. However if the commuter was coming from one of the neighborhoods in the south end of Stony Brook, their commute time would be 6-7 mins shorter than if they were driving from 25A.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
I'm with Bee. We did that drive every day and never made it in 15-20 minutes, no matter what roads were taken. You could do it if no cars were on the road, every light was green, and you floored it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island