Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,741 times

Advertisements

Sean,

I'd seriously love to hear your theory...and I mean that sincerely.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/ has the school report cards. Comprehensive Information Reports include demographics for districts & schools. Much more useful than the census.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 AM

208 posts, read 913,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Valley Stream in the coming years. As of this exact moment, it has not "changed" in a socioeconomic sense over the last decade while the demographics have shifted considerably. I'm very interested in things like this and I think what happens in Valley Stream will be a good measure of just how dead "white flight" is on LI. I kinda have my own theory which I hope proves to be off the mark.

To the OP - there was another thread where the exact same thing was discussed a few months ago, you might wanna check it out:

City-Data Forum - Long Island School Districts and Diversity
If it isn't "white flight" then what would you call it? The remaining white people in VS that are selling their homes certainly are not selling them to more white people (for the most part). I agree the area has not changed so much financially, it is still well kept and looks the same (well, east of central ave anyway), but the white people are definitely moving out and more diverse people are moving in.

so maybe it isn't white flight, but it is definitely "white leaving".

Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 PM

222 posts, read 892,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
If it isn't "white flight" then what would you call it? The remaining white people in VS that are selling their homes certainly are not selling them to more white people (for the most part). I agree the area has not changed so much financially, it is still well kept and looks the same (well, east of central ave anyway), but the white people are definitely moving out and more diverse people are moving in.

so maybe it isn't white flight, but it is definitely "white leaving".
I would have to agree with you on this. I lived in VS for 5 years (2000-2005) and there was a clear distinction between VS and Elmont. That distinct has eroded somewhat. I could argue that folks buying homes now are probably of a stronger socio-economic standing then folks who bought 10 or 15+ years ago b/c of the inflation around realestate. That being said some folks are just not comfortable living around people of different backgrounds regardless of socio-economic status.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:41 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
Valley Stream is still a great middle class area. It is becoming very diverse. It is not one type of diverstity however. Many hispanics, blacks, Asians, and Philipinos are moving into the area. If you are looking for a nice mixture of people, Valley Stream is a great choice. My mother in law lives there and it is so nice to see all types of people living together nicely. All of the neighbors are from different ethnic backgrounds and they seem to get along and have block parties. The schools are still well regarded, (there is one HS, it think it is VS south that is not the best, but still not bad)and the homes are well-kept and very attractive. It is also affordable and close to shopping.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,296 times
Default clarify the question...

let me clarify what i was looking for. i'm not judging or anything, i'm curious from people who have lived in the area, black, white, brown, green... what have you, if they notice a change demographically and what direction that change is. minority to white, white to minority, about the same... etc.
i dont mind diversity, but if its like a tidal wave and within a few years its much different, then i would reconsider this town in my choices of potential towns.

also, i've seen statistics with VS 30 having as little as 9% white. hard to know which to trust.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM

25 posts, read 82,787 times
VS is rapidly deteriorating. Just look at Green Acres Mall. That is crime central now...how was it two decades ago?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekles72 View Post
VS is rapidly deteriorating. Just look at Green Acres Mall. That is crime central now...how was it two decades ago?
Twenty five ago Green Acres Mall was a bit rough. I dated a guy from Rosedale who didn't want me going there by myself.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:17 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Green Acres has sucked for a LONG time. Certainly all through the '90s. It's not the best example of VS as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island